Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR2 Match - 17/18 Jun 2017 - Debrief here!

Business Member

Garrison Petawawa PR2 Match - 17/18 Jun 2017 - Debrief here!

This year, with the increased demand to host PR Matches at CFB Petawawa, I've set up a working programme that will allow new people to get into the game quickly AND compete in a formal match ALL in one weekend.

With the formal Match taking place of Sunday, the instruction portion of the clinic has been compressed and a most helpful/desirable/sought after/ begged for "walk back" system has been put in place. This allows newbies and experts to obtain or confirm their zeroes or come-ups or settings for these ranges.

This new format allows shooters to participate on either day. So those who want the instruction and "walk back" of Saturday session are welcome. And of course those who want to come and shoot the Match on Sunday are equally free to do so.

Now with the new program, the Matches we can shoot are :

* 200 yard/meter Rapid Follow Up
    * 300 yard/meter Agony Snap
    * 500 yard/meter Snap
    * 600 yard/meter Deliberate

Where

CFB Petawawa Bravo or Yankee Range. But we will gather betwen 0800 and 0830 across from the Base Firehall (S-105). Once you show your ID at the main gate, make a quick right and you will see the Fire Hall. Look to your left and you will see a white bldg with 5 garage doors (P-141 Bldg) . We will be meeting in that parking lot. Then we will all convoy to Range Control for your Access Passes.

When

17/18 June 2017 Sat & Sunday

Cost

$50 for both days or $25 for the Sunday Match, if that works for you

$ 10 for the Sentry that Range Control requires us to provide. Morgan has been casually collecting some monies to help out the sentry (ies) but some folks see to have overlooked this extension of courtesy and good will. Now we have to cough up with a more serious application for the needed post. The $10 covers you for the weekend. Morgan will be collecting this fee AT the range.

Where to Stay

* About 10-15min from range control (and right by Kelseys) http://www.petawawaqualityinnandsuites.com/
    * 2 min from base with several fast food/pizza options close by http://www.petawawariverinnandsuites.ca/
    * Blackbear campsite on base info and site map
    http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Petawaw...formation.aspx

Material Focus

Everything I'll be teaching you is based on the PR matches fired by the ORA at Mons Range, CFB Borden. And I should know, I WAS the MATCH Director for the season of 2014! Yup, that's me... in the flesh! LOL

Here's the breakdown of this new hybrid weekend.....

Precision (read: Sniper) Rifle Clinics background information can be accessed, downloaded, and read down below:

The Precision rifle clinic prepares the shooter for competitions patterned after the course of fire shot by the DCRA or Dominion of Canada Rifle association at their Annual Prize meeting for Service Conditions held every year at CRPTC or Connaught Range and Primary Training Center near Shirley's Bay in the Kanata/Nepean area. The course of fire can be downloaded in PDF format at www.dcra.ca

These matches are shot monthly by the ORA or www.ontariorifleassociation.ca at CFB Borden , ON. The ORA follows the DCRA rulebook and course of fire . The purpose of this clinic is to prepare the competitor to shoot these matches.

Precision / Sniper Rifle Kit to Bring:

* A safe precision/sniper rifle in at least .223 Rem caliber and larger. .308 Win is a common platform
    * Caliber restrictions exist at CFB Petawawa Range Control Standing Orders (more on that later)
    * Hand operated target turrets on your optic already mounted to your rifle. 4.5 x 14 scopes are common. 6.5 x 20 scopes are seen frequently. 8 x 30 scopes are great optics for these matches. Scopes with a parallax adjustable side focus work well. Adjustable objective scopes work too, but more annoying to work with while in the prone position. Just don't show up with the stereotypical 3 x 9 coin operated hunting scopes because you will be wasting your time (and money)

* At the Sep 2013 Clinic we had some hunting scopes on the line, they were super frustrated with the coin operated turrets. I warned them, but they insisted. Now they are wiser from this experience. Please; go to school on their experiences.

* Suggested scope choices:
    - Bushnell Elite 6400, 6500, Sightron, Falcon Menace, Leupold Mark 8
    - Leupold Mark 4 LR/T, Vortex Viper PST, IOR Valdada, Nikon, Vortex Razor, Zeiss
    - NightForce, US Optics, Premier Reticles, Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski
    - My all time FAV entry level scope: Bushnell Elite 3200 10X 40mm Mildot (google it) $ 275 (it's issued with the Barrett .50 cal rifles)

* Rear bunny, sand bag, mono pod style rear rests work, too.
    * Notebook to record your sight settings
    * Anemometer (Kestrel-style) hand held wind gauges (not a requirement, but nice to start with)
    * Spotting scope and tripod (not a requirement but we can pair you up with someone who does have one)
    * Rucksack, 3 day pack, Assault pack to carry your kit around the range
    * Snacks, granola bars, nuts, fruit, extra fluids, beef jerky is my fav range snack
    * 200 rounds of safe, tested, reliable ammunition for your rifle (hopefully chronographed already)
    * Sunscreen, bug dope, ballistic glasses, hearing defenders
    * Extra food and water (someone always forgets)
    * Screwdriver set - compact enough?
    * OH Shzt Kit (if you don't know, I will teach you)
    * Rain gear or appropriate foul weather gear
    * Shooting mat / folding rifle case/ yoga mat
    * Ensure your rifle is zeroed for 100m

Caliber Restrictions

All kinds of new calibers are added to the "approved Caliber list", yes the 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, and various .30 cals are added... Yahoo!!

Itinerary for the Weekend

Saturday AM:

* Gather across from Base Fire Hall (S-105) and park with us at Bldg P-141
    * Proceed to Range Control and Obtain Access Passes
    * Travel to Bravo Range and Park, Briefing at Range Bldg
    * Instruction on Kit, Rifle, gear, partners, wind reading, etc
    * Zeroing at 100 yards maybe 200 if we are fast
    * Bring your bagged sandwich/lunch/ snacks/beef jerky. No time to drive any where on or off base.

Saturday PM:

* Zeroing at 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards / meters (depending on Bravo or Yankee Ranges)
    * Impromptu lessons on windreading, spotter/sniper comms, detection and correction

Sunday AM:

* Gather (not sure if we will meet at Range Control, more instructions TBA)
    * Registration for Match at Yankee/ Bravo Range Bldg
    * Score Card distributed, Butts set up, Staff assigned, Targets inventoried and prepared
    * Relays squaded, shooter/spotters paired up if need be
    * Range Safety briefing by RSO
    * Conduct of the Match
    * Lunch ON the Range (no time to run into town) Bring a sandwich or two; lots of water and snacks and more snacks

Sunday PM:

* Continuation of the match
    * Clean up of range (firing points and butts)
    * Statistics being entered and winners determined, prizes awarded
    * Range March Off

Questions?

* Ask me right here in this thread. Others might be curious with the same concerns.

Registration?

* EMT of $50 gets you a spot on the roster for both day, but you can shoot the single day for $25
    * NO maximum cap for these Match/Clinic weekends

EMT Information:
    Name: Tactical Teacher
    Question: What is your Original CGN handle?
    Answer: hungry (all low caps so I cannot mess things up)
    Email address: hungry556 AT bell.net

Somewhere in the EMT, remind me of your CGN handle and which clinic it's for (CQB, PR, or M14)

Cheers and keep helping the noobs out there!
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 06-19-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Business Member
    Reserved for Match Results!

And here they are:

First Place: Chrisw / Chalkriver3
    Second place: JeremyM/ The Duck
    Third place: Rugerblast/Thumperrrrr
    4th place: Nate308/mattC
    5th place: Paul L / IanSA
    6th place: harrpara / rickB
    7th place: sgmacken/ extremacanuck (by ONE point)
    8th place: John@ / pierre PaxCaritas
    9th place: ClaudeL / MickhaelL
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 06-19-2017 at 11:26 AM.

I'm in! Will send $$$ shortly

I'm in!!

I'm in!
    "I shoot better in the rain" TT

“Be the head of a chicken not the tail of a bull” Toyzone

EMT sent.

(We need a 'thumbs-up' emoticon here on CGN !)

Cheers.

Hey Barney,

We had so much fun at the PR last year that this year we will attend PR2, PR3 and PR4. EMT sent for both c-l and Michaël.

EMT on its way shortly. Will be staying at black bear this time + be there friday night instead of coming in saturday AM.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john@ View Post
    EMT on its way shortly. Will be staying at black bear this time + be there friday night instead of coming in saturday AM.
    What PR rig are you gonna bring? The HK (Hong Kong) ??

Cheers,
    Barney

CGN frequent flyer
    I'm in. Hope to bring the young lad this time. If it is dry, warm and sun shining I won't know how to shoot in those conditions.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast