Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR3 Match - 08/09 July 2017 - Debrief here!

CGN Regular
    Was an awesome weekend Barney, and on top of that................IT DIDN'T RAIN....... lol. That must be a miracle by itself. For you question about Callsign22. Well, what impressed me the most about this young man is the professionalism he had. Just blew my mind. He also has good stories. The learning channel one was pretty good. "Who brought the ammo???" I hope I get to see him shoot someday. Tks for that weekend.

Pat

Dee R here! Thanks for the match Barney! I had so much fun and plan on coming next year for sure. Just out of curiosity, who else was shooting .223?

CGN frequent flyer
    Well that was interesting using the Tactical Chair for a rest. Sure steadied things up. For an old inflexible guy this is going to take some changes in the way things get shot. I might have to start exercising and get a little in shape. It's way easier just lying on the ground. I might even have to get the rifle out of the case between matches and dry fire practice with it. But, if this is what we gotta do, we do it.
    Congrats to the winners. *MALICE* that was some damn fine shooting you did. P2K it was good to see you out given 'er.
    Thanks to TT and chalkriver for keeping this shooting going.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer redshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P2K View Post
    Just out of curiosity, who else was shooting .223?
    I was on Saturday, and Nate308 was as well. I also think that the younger guy shooting at target 5 was as well.

These clinic & match weekends put on by Barney and the great folks at Petawawa Gun Club and facilitated by Garrison Petawawa not only provide valuable skills development but also produce life long memories and wonderful family moments, Barney's gas notwithstanding. A heartfelt thank you to our sentries and butts officers, I don't take the privledge of shooting at ranges like Pet for granted and really appreciate everyones support in making that happen. The Saturday night dinner at Danny's was something I'd looked forward to for a year and Barney didn't disappoint, busting out a first class Guest Star. It was a great honor and privilege to listen to and query real-deal CallSign 2-2, a gentleman who shared stories and answered questions very humbly. If he follows Master Barney's lead I'd gladly sign up for some shootin' lessons conducted under his watch.

Thank you Barney!!! S & T had the proverbial blast, and hearing my daughter say the words "I'd love to do that again" was icing on the cake of a weekend of great shooting, weather and fun (it also tempered the spanking she gave me at 600m - WTF!). Kudos to Shelldrake for shepherding a sophomore to his second team win (not doing wonders for a swelling ego though).

Looking forward to doing it again and seeing familiar faces at ranges all over our great(est) land. Take care everyone and good shooting,

V-IV

Roger that, my partner and I were shooting .223, makes 500 and 600m more of a quarter dime experience but love the quick target acquisition for the 200 m rapid follow-up.

I really enjoy all the families that have come out and shared this experience together, I hope someday to emulate this with my daughter! For now I will just keep teaching her head stamps and calibers until she gets a little older!

Thank you Barney for the opportunity to run the Butts for the first time, it was a fantastic experience to be put through the paces, and thanks to Chalkriver for assisting and giving a good example to follow!
    Last edited by Nate.308; 07-11-2017 at 05:32 AM.
    "I shoot better in the rain" TT

“Be the head of a chicken not the tail of a bull” Toyzone

CGN Regular
    Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen.

I am grateful for the chance to get some exposure to what goes on at higher levels of competition and at professional levels. Now I just need to tell myself "I shoot better in the rain and/or off of a chair".

Business Member
    Okay, I'm back and awake. Have another M14 lover dropping by today to tweak their M14 rig.

Nate308: So pleased that you did a super job down in the butts for your first time as ButtsO. You did a grand job on your tyro appearance and also you had other mentors down there. This work of yours allows the workload to be spread out and also ups your game. We had no complaints about target irregularities except for a few low exposures, but I'm not worried. Frankly, the cement ceiling in the Bravo Range butts are quite high, even for a 4'18" tall person like me.

VortexiV.... so happy and grateful that we squadded the phenomenal Shelldrake with TakaN so that you guys could sweep the aggregate (ha ha ha ha). Nothing like TakaN learning from another master shooter. I strongly believe these matches are valuable also for the cross pollination going on among shooters of different skill sets, age barriers, genders, etc. For all that, I am thankful. Ensure your son protects his banana with that banana protector! Show him how to draw- track- present - and then sight picture using this invaluable learning aid. That's why I give them out as prizes.

For those of you who were at Danny's Steak House for dinner and Call Sign 2-2's visit, I'm thankful he was able to make an appearance. He has to deliver a course this week and family time is a priority. He visited with me in J-108 for some mentoring and I'm grateful for that opportunity to share ideas. He wanted to come and visit us on Sunday of the match, but I encouraged him to remain at home and "bond", badly needed relationship building after his several deployments.

For the "Brown Army Class": I am in the process of fleshing / solidifying some rules for this new (to me also) and upcoming class that I've been pushed/cajoled/booted-in-the-ass/ encouraged to create. I've got much inspiration behind this initiative and I'm glad. Some new rules you can expect:

* bring yer own tripod/hog saddle and shoot off it the ENTIRE contest (4 matches on Bravo Range)
    * Shoot the entire match/contest with a tripod, hog saddle, and shooting cushion/bag/rest/Pump Pillow/Prussik knot setup for tension
    * 200 Rapid Follow Up- Sitting/Kneeling
    * 300 Agony Snap - Sitting/Kneeling
    * 500m Snap - Standing
    * 600m Deliberate - Standing

These rules are not written in stone (yet) and I'm still in consultation with my PRS Mentor (match directors) and that includes Call Sign 2-2's input .... heh heh heh

P2K :

Other .223 shooters were Nate308, LostCause , yourself and Mikhael, did I get them all ?

Yes, my son shot my Winnie Model 70 Coyote in .223 with 9" twist barrel for many years. We launched that 75 gr Amax boolit out to 800 METERS in Connaught Ranges (look up www.dcra.ca and their NSCC matches). You learned to read the wind WELL , and FAST... then shoot accordingly

Okay, thanks to Redshooter you scorecard and stats helper, here is a link to download some photos of the weekend:

https://1drv.ms/a/s!AvcaSCXForbNg3Utfuy2XDi-_yf-
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 07-11-2017 at 08:42 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer redshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post
    here is a link to download some photos of the weekend:

https://1drv.ms/a/s!AvcaSCXForbNg3Utfuy2XDi-_yf-
    The picture quality is pretty sad, but I forgot my camera, and I'm a ####ty photographer. Sorry if I missed anyone, was just taking pics at random.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234