Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Type of 9mm just in for us!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer unstableryan's Avatar
    I'll just keep making my own. Besides, I like blue better

Its a niche market for this ammo. Which translates to limited resources devoted to it. Which means smaller production. Which means higher costs. If they devoted their entire production to manufacturing this ammo then yes the cost would go down. But to make a limited specialty its going to cost more in manufacturing costs which warrants a higher consumer price. Not hard to figure out.

BANNED
    Ammo prices are dropping rapidly in the states. Give it time guys, the savings will show up soon. Our dollar isn't helping us either.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VICIOUS's Avatar
    Hello; There is s difference between powder coated and coated bullets with HI-TEC from Australia. The price from Hi-tec coating on lead bullets in USA fall halfway from jacketed or washed and lead lubed cast.The reloaders find the coated Hi-tec are cleaner to run in a Dillon reloading machine and do not have lead exposed. It can be shot at steel without the danger of jacketed stuff coming back. As to cleaner guns running cooler and less wear on barrels, you will have to figure it for yourself.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I've tried polymer coated in my reloads. The bullet cost me roughly the same as copper plated TMJ. They're not any cleaner in my gun, roughly the same. Definitely cleaner than lead cast though.

The only meaningful difference between polymer coated and copper plated is that you can't load the polymer too hot. They will behave like lead cast when at high FPS. They can foul or even break down at high FPS. I would only use them for 147gr and low speed calibres like 38spl and 45acp.

For the same price I prefer copper plated.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    I've tried polymer coated in my reloads. The bullet cost me roughly the same as copper plated TMJ. They're not any cleaner in my gun, roughly the same. Definitely cleaner than lead cast though.

The only meaningful difference between polymer coated and copper plated is that you can't load the polymer too hot. They will behave like lead cast when at high FPS. They can foul or even break down at high FPS. I would only use them for 147gr and low speed calibres like 38spl and 45acp.

For the same price I prefer copper plated.
    Yes to all this...

Besides, if I wanted to shoot Hi-Tek coated (or similar) why wouldn't I buy Xmetal's product at $274 per 1K?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234