Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Semi-auto pistol cleaning

Removed.
    Last edited by 306_nagy; 03-26-2017 at 01:23 AM.

I've found getting myself into the habit of cleaning within the first day or two works best. If if its anything above 100rnd count especially. That way its done and seems easier to do for some reason.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ipscgraz's Avatar
    On a reasonably direct route with the wipers on.
    Detail clean before each match. Oil before each range trip.

If your gun won't run if it is dirty you want to find out when the clock is not running on you.
    A demand for further gun laws is an admission that the hundreds of gun laws already on the books, and the Firearms Act itself, is simply to placate the uninformed.

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus

CGN Regular
    I am a minimalist when it comes to cleaning and lubing. My 1911 gets a wipe with a rig rag or silicone cloth, a patch or swab goes down the bore. Then as little lube, oil, as possible goes on the frame, remember oil draws dirt, dirt causes reliability issues. the Beretta 84 gets pretty much the same, both of these guns are carry guns and both of them are reliable.

Once or so a year, it all depends on how the guns look and have been treated/fired, they get a more detailed cleaning but still as little lube as I can get away with, again oil attracts dirt which attracts problems, so I use minimal oil and grease. My father always taught my brothers and me that the only thing worse to do to a gun than too little cleaning and oiling was too much cleaning and oiling.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS_1956 View Post
    I am a minimalist when it comes to cleaning and lubing. My 1911 gets a wipe with a rig rag or silicone cloth, a patch or swab goes down the bore. Then as little lube, oil, as possible goes on the frame, remember oil draws dirt, dirt causes reliability issues. the Beretta 84 gets pretty much the same, both of these guns are carry guns and both of them are reliable.

Once or so a year, it all depends on how the guns look and have been treated/fired, they get a more detailed cleaning but still as little lube as I can get away with, again oil attracts dirt which attracts problems, so I use minimal oil and grease. My father always taught my brothers and me that the only thing worse to do to a gun than too little cleaning and oiling was too much cleaning and oiling.
    carry guns, I clean until they are spick and spam EVERYTIME. Regardless of how many shots fired, and quarterly cleaning regardless if any shots fired or not. I also do rotate my carry ammo, every 6 months I put new SD rounds into my magazine and use the old rounds as practice ammo. Costs a little bit more doing that, but whats 15$ compared to my life?
    luckily i carry a glock 26, so its basically bone dry, minus slide hood barrel and the disconnector.
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

Quote Originally Posted by bsand View Post
    carry guns, I clean until they are spick and spam EVERYTIME. Regardless of how many shots fired, and quarterly cleaning regardless if any shots fired or not. I also do rotate my carry ammo, every 6 months I put new SD rounds into my magazine and use the old rounds as practice ammo. Costs a little bit more doing that, but whats 15$ compared to my life?
    luckily i carry a glock 26, so its basically bone dry, minus slide hood barrel and the disconnector.
    Carry guns? Just curious...your location says BC, other fella is Oklahoma so him I get but yourself in BC? Or is the G26 a service pistol?
    I may not be as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was

Don't practise until you get it right...practise until you can't get it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by rayzorloo View Post
    Carry guns? Just curious...your location says BC, other fella is Oklahoma so him I get but yourself in BC? Or is the G26 a service pistol?
    Why do I need to update my location on here? Im currently a Washington State resident.
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

I don't detail / strip and clean after every use but I do spray it down and wipe the bore and exterior. I'll strip and clean every month or less often if it's being used less.

CGN Regular
    Rimfire pistols get stripped and cleaned every 2-3 outings (weekly) and centerfire get stripped and cleaned monthly, maybe every 8-10 trips.

Reliability wise, rimfires need cleaning for function, I've gone thousands of rounds on centerfires before reliability becomes an issue. By strip I just mean top end, I almost never strip the guts of a semi auto, they get sprayed and blown out, only the barrels and slides get worked on.

I believe we clean guns more than necessary, not that it is a bad thing of course, and clean guns are better protected from corrosion, but its kind of like an engine, a freshly shampooed engine runs better in your head, but in reality it does not. I have 20K + on pistols that I have never taken apart past the slide and barrel.

Pride and jurisprudence are very good reasons to keep guns clean, and guns that get shot rarely (don't have many of those) need more care.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    I guess I'm in the minimalist camp. I'll wipe the outside down before putting away in my safe. I've shot matches with a dirty gun and experienced no issues. When I do get around to it, I will do a field strip, clean & lube very sparely. Some people use way too much lube on their pistols.
    Defund the Liberal propaganda ministry, AKA the CBC.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast