Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Semi-auto pistol cleaning

CGN Regular
    Wipe off the crud and put it away.

Seriously just a field strip after a range trip, quick wipe down, a little lube on the contact parts and back in the safe.
    It takes a bit of use to determine what each pistol likes and doesn't like in regards to cleaning cycles. My Glocks like to be a little dirty. My 1911 likes to be lubed and my 1911-.22 likes to be clean and lightly lubed.

I field strip and clean after every outing myself. May be overkill but I believe if I take care of my guns, they will take care of me. They will always remain a tool, but I put good money in them and want them to last as long as possible. It also keeps them in good condition if you ever want to sell them. Just my thoughts.

If I'm shooting a IPSC match on a weekend I will lube up my clean gun Friday night, lube Saturday night after the match and do a field strip clean after the weekend. Normally 300-400 rounds in a weekend. I do a full detail strip and clean once a year.

Shoot more... clean less!

Happy shooting!
    Last edited by GreenBob; 06-14-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!

CGN Regular
    Field strip, plus concentrated cleaning after every range outing. I use G96 Complete Gun Treatment exclusively, for all my cleaning needs. I do think about introducing a dedicated lube for my semi auto pistols, but the clp seems to work. Any opinions on the G96, as a lube?

That's what I use in my ar-15
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    The guys at Calibre magazine have a FN FNS-9 that's fired over 3300 rounds without a failure to fire or feed or eject without a cleaning. It's a long term test they are doing.

Lubrication is more important than cleaning.

And the best advice a Olympic pistol shooter gave my buddy was to never run a wire brush down the bore of his target pistol. Just use some bore solvent and a swab but nothing else. Then lubricant.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123