Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 35678910111213141516171819202123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.n. Firearms marking regulations

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe6167 View Post
    How much was allocated for this registry?
    13 mil over 5 years specifically for firearms marking.

I guess, small department in public safety office with a database.

Humble beginnings of a 1 billion sink hole, like it was in case of LGR.

Also they have 100 mil to reduce "gender based" violence, whatever the #### that means. Prison rapes?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post

Also they have 100 mil to reduce "gender based" violence, whatever the #### that means. Prison rapes?
    Because throwing money at a "problem" has been a sucess before... Wtf is gender based violence anyway ?!?! The scariest part is the fact that they actually got elected... That means people actually voted these idiots in and are OK with wasting cash we dont have on stupidities like that...
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

And which government department is the recipient of that 13 million dollars?

Can you provide a link to the budget documents that identifies this line item?
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    And which government department is the recipient of that 13 million dollars?

Can you provide a link to the budget documents that identifies this line item?
    http://www.budget.gc.ca/2017/docs/do.../index-en.html

Download budget 2017.pdf. Page 185.

"In 2017, Canada will also join the international Arms Trade Treaty. This agreement
    ensures that countries have effective systems in place to control the
    international trade of weapons so that they are not used to support terrorism,
    organized crime, gender-based violence or human rights abuses. Budget 2017
    proposes to invest $13 million over five years to allow Canada to implement this
    treaty and further strengthen its export control regime."

Only mentions exports. So we are setting up a new department to deal with implementation of the treaty?
    My concern with all this is simple. If I am stopped on the way to my range post June 1st with pre treaty toys and the LEO "inspects" my firearms and notices they lack the UN markings how do I prove they were in my possession pre June 1st 2017? I have no bill of sale/paperwork for most. Now I am open to being charged. The only record is with Canada customs? and how do I go about getting the import record as right now that appears to be the only way to prove the firearm(s) were in Canada pre June 1st. If I was to mark my guns Bubba style how do I get the self applied markings approved?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
    Only mentions exports. So we are setting up a new department to deal with implementation of the treaty?
    My concern with all this is simple. If I am stopped on the way to my range post June 1st with pre treaty toys and the LEO "inspects" my firearms and notices they lack the UN markings how do I prove they were in my possession pre June 1st 2017? I have no bill of sale/paperwork for most. Now I am open to being charged. The only record is with Canada customs? and how do I go about getting the import record as right now that appears to be the only way to prove the firearm(s) were in Canada pre June 1st. If I was to mark my guns Bubba style how do I get the self applied markings approved?
    Unlikely for 2 reasons. 1st your rank and file LEO wont have a clue about the marking requirements.

2nd the regs place the onus on importers, not owners.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    Ok not quite out. This thread has taken a life of its own which is quite common and remained pretty darn civil which is not so common. The original concern seems to have gotten lost though. It was wether or not the markings could be applied by the manufacturer before importation. It seems to have been clearly answered by Mr. Gallant who is probably really scratching his head if he is reading this. This was the major concern in all the threads. The timeline not so much. Im confident if we also get clarification from the governing body we can stop speculating on that as well.

Good Morning <me>,
    Thank you for your inquiry. I apologize for the delay in responding. To answer your question, the Firearms Marking Regulations do not preclude the ability of a Canadian distributor to have a foreign manufacturer ‘pre-mark’ a shipment of firearms with the Canadian import marks. The requirement is to ensure the firearm is marked by the period specified in the Regulations.

Thank you again for writing,

Benjamin Gallant

Quote Originally Posted by MustangFrank View Post
    Ok not quite out. This thread has taken a life of its own which is quite common and remained pretty darn civil which is not so common. The original concern seems to have gotten lost though. It was wether or not the markings could be applied by the manufacturer before importation. It seems to have been clearly answered by Mr. Gallant who is probably really scratching his head if he is reading this. This was the major concern in all the threads. The timeline not so much. Im confident if we also get clarification from the governing body we can stop speculating on that as well.

Good Morning <me>,
    Thank you for your inquiry. I apologize for the delay in responding. To answer your question, the Firearms Marking Regulations do not preclude the ability of a Canadian distributor to have a foreign manufacturer ‘pre-mark’ a shipment of firearms with the Canadian import marks. The requirement is to ensure the firearm is marked by the period specified in the Regulations.

Thank you again for writing,

Benjamin Gallant
    I have e-mailed Benjamin and asked him to confirm this in writing to me. Even if true this only provides slight relief.

The first goal must be to convince the Government that the make, model and serial number serve to uniquely identify a firearm. We do not need anything extra.

Finally if the Government is going ahead with this plan they need to postpone the start date until such time as they have created the infrastructure to support this plan and are able to answer all the questions that have ben asked, notably on inspections, enforcement and records.

Currently I believe that only manufactures and importers can confirm the date of importation not CBSA who I believe do not keep these records, their job is to confirm that import's match packing lists and invoices then collect the tax.

http://www.budget.gc.ca/2017/docs/do.../index-en.html

Download budget 2017.pdf. Page 185.

"In 2017, Canada will also join the international Arms Trade Treaty. This agreement
    ensures that countries have effective systems in place to control the
    international trade of weapons so that they are not used to support terrorism,
    organized crime, gender-based violence or human rights abuses. Budget 2017
    proposes to invest $13 million over five years to allow Canada to implement this
    treaty and further strengthen its export control regime."
    Gentlemen, the Arms Trade Treaty has nothing to do with UN Marking. Completely separate programs. The marking issue comes from the UN Firearms Protocol some 13 years ago.There is no money earmarked for Firearms Marking in the budget. It is also already law and has been for 12 years. We have been able to successfully delay its implementation for that time. The next deadline is June 1 and we are still trying for a stay of execution.
    CSSA / CILA: Preserve. Promote. Protect.

Quote Originally Posted by CILA-1 View Post
    Gentlemen, the Arms Trade Treaty has nothing to do with UN Marking. Completely separate programs. The marking issue comes from the UN Firearms Protocol some 13 years ago.There is no money earmarked for Firearms Marking in the budget. It is also already law and has been for 12 years. We have been able to successfully delay its implementation for that time. The next deadline is June 1 and we are still trying for a stay of execution.
    My mistake. The question I was initially answering was about registry. I assumed it is connected to import marking, as it is supposed to contain all the information on the firearm being imported including end-users (retailers).

https://youtu.be/kMMqXCMI7co?t=6m34s