Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: U.n. Firearms marking regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    Unlikely for 2 reasons. 1st your rank and file LEO wont have a clue about the marking requirements.

2nd the regs place the onus on importers, not owners.
    Still feel it is a valid concern going forward. I am in possession of unmarked firearms with no clear way to prove they are pre June 1st. The way I interpret Canadian law is as the current owner onus is on me to prove compliance not the importer from 20+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
    Still feel it is a valid concern going forward. I am in possession of unmarked firearms with no clear way to prove they are pre June 1st. The way I interpret Canadian law is as the current owner onus is on me to prove compliance not the importer from 20+ years ago.
    I am disturbed that you might think that under Canadian law you have to prove your innocence. I believe the opposite is true, you have to be proven guilty. In any event your point just enforces the fact that this plan has not been thought through.

No one knows yet who is going to enforce it, the RCMP have not been advised about UN markings.

I had written the PM, and I have received a response today stating that my concerns were being acknowledged and forwarded to the Minister of Public Safety Ralph Goodale. Although these concerns are presented to the Minister of Public Safety, I would still recommend that all correspondence goes to the PM first. When thousands of letters are forwarded, maybe this will be reconsidered. We do not want to open up another measure which will not impact or reduce gun crimes, but rather impact the taxpayer as the longarm registration has done previously. Please send those letters, it only takes five minutes to write it, and the impact could put a stop to this ridiculousness!

Anyone have a good sample letter?
    The easier it is the more people can write in!

Post #25 this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by B.. View Post
    Mine's being sent today x#3 (thanks TeeJay).

I gotta say though what a clusterf*#k; another example of our fine (not) government screwing things up waisting (our) time/money by not thinking this sh*t through, again...

D
    Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroed-In View Post
    Post #25 this thread.

Mine's being sent today x#3 (thanks TeeJay).

I gotta say though what a clusterf*#k; another example of our fine (not) government screwing things up waisting (our) time/money by not thinking this sh*t through, again...

D
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by B.. View Post
    To make change in a direction, you need to provide rational which impacts economy and $. If you write that you are hillbilly Joe, and your rights to own firearms, your letter will be shredded and not even thought about any further. If you write using foul language, your letter will be shredded and this will do more harm than good. You simply want to remind the leaders the massive expense this will create to the taxpayer as this has to be federally controlled creating a huge expense, the impact this move will have on small business as this will cripple the majority of small firearm businesses which will further impact the economy of our country. We want to expand small business, not destroy it. You can also remind them the expense to the taxxpayer that the longarm registry has cost, and how this will be the same with no impact on crime reduction. Use statistics from statcan to back up your claims.

As far as sample letters are concerned, NO! Each letter should be self written so that the government is not seeing a 'form' letter. This will not do any good.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    First,, I do not want this and will send letters! Second,, if this comes to pass, will it cost that much more to put two letters and two numbers on the firearms?

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    Second,, if this comes to pass, will it cost that much more to put two letters and two numbers on the firearms?
    Absolutely! this is an engraving system that is unique and requires unique machinery to create which is federally controlled. The treasury department does not print its currency using scanning technology found in printers. Most people have no idea on how this will impact us financially, and for what?! This is the primary reason why it is not adapted by most countries.
    From what I have read, these machines cost upwards of six figures. The federal government has two options to implement, 1- they set up the engraving prior to export to retailers, or 2- they leave this in the hands of the retailer to expense where they have to purchase the machinery, engrave the firearms prior to sale, and it is inspected regularly. Both options are a huge expense and the second option (which is probably the way they will go) will kill small firearm dealers as they will not be able to afford the expense. Either way, this will also increase the purchasing price of the firearm significantly.
    Most firearm owners are under the same understanding as yourself, 'it is only a few numbers, so what', it is not so simple, and this will affect us all greatly by virtue of financials and ownership. If businesses cant afford these machines, they cant sell firearms, if they cant sell firearms, we will not own firearms, as they cannot be imported unless an engraving process is in place. Yes, there will still be Cabela's, but the firearm prices will be so jacked as they have to have a cost recovery to pay for these machines as well as the engraving process.
    Maybe I have my tinfoil hat on a little too tight, but from what I have read earlier, this is the process.
    Last edited by abb1; 03-29-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    First,, I do not want this and will send letters! Second,, if this comes to pass, will it cost that much more to put two letters and two numbers on the firearms?
    Why should we as consumers have to pay anything extra for a nonsensical law?