Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8101112131415161718192021222324252628 ... LastLast

Thread: U.n. Firearms marking regulations

CGN Ultra frequent flyer P0WERWAGON's Avatar
    3. (1) Every individual, business or public service agency that imports a firearm shall ensure that the firearm is marked in accordance with section 4 before the 60th day after its release as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Customs Act or before transferring the firearm, whichever occurs first.
    where does it state that the marking CANNOT be done when manufactured? just says BEFORE the 60th day, when it is made is way before the 60th day

what agency is responsible to check after importation?

is there a requirement to report these markings to anyone?

(3) In the case of an imported firearm, the Registrar, on application by the individual, business or public service agency that is importing it, shall grant the applicant an exemption from the requirement set out in paragraph (2)(c) if
    (a) marking the firearm in a place that is visible only by disassembling the firearm is consistent with the
    current practices of the manufacturer of that model of firearm;
    (b) the firearm does not provide a visible space suitable to stamp or engrave the markings;
    (c) the firearm is rare;
    (d) the firearm is of a value that is unusually high for that type of firearm and that value would be significantly reduced if the markings were visible without disassembly; or
    who determines if it is rare?
    who determines value?

this section is basically referring to used guns, so what agency if responsible for appraising used guns?

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    where does it state that the marking CANNOT be done when manufactured? just says BEFORE the 60th day, when it is made is way before the 60th day
    after its release as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Customs Act or before transferring the firearm, whichever occurs first.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CosmiC10R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Firearms View Post
    after its release as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Customs Act or before transferring the firearm, whichever occurs first.
    I know it may be interpreted differently but the "shall ensure" requirement is met if it meets the marking requirements upon import and it makes sense that the after release is only if it is released without markings to the importer without the markings meeting section 4
    It's not about money.... It's about sending a message...
    Member - NRA (Bloomie made me do it ) - CCFR - NFA - CPC
    Juster - "I came to CGN for the firearms information, but stayed for the supportive mental health ecosystem"

i still dont see where it says that it CANNOT be marked at factory, for new firearms.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by P0WERWAGON View Post
    i still dont see where it says that it CANNOT be marked at factory, for new firearms.
    If you look earlier I quoted an email from someone at Public Safety Canada giving exactly that interpretation...Wolverine .303 was following up with them to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbf123 View Post
    If you look earlier I quoted an email from someone at Public Safety Canada giving exactly that interpretation...Wolverine .303 was following up with them to confirm.
    To answer your question, the Firearms Marking Regulations do not preclude the ability of a Canadian distributor to have a foreign manufacturer ‘pre-mark’ a shipment of firearms with the Canadian import marks. The requirement is to ensure the firearm is marked by the period specified in the Regulations.

Definition of not

—used as a function word to make negative a group of words or a word

—used as a function word to stand for the negative of a preceding group of words is sometimes hard to see and sometimes not

Definition of preclude
    precluded; precluding

transitive verb

archaic : close

: to make impossible by necessary consequence : rule out in advance
    so by your own words, it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE for a Canadian distributor to have a foreign manufacturer ‘pre-mark’ a shipment of firearms with the Canadian import marks

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by P0WERWAGON View Post
    so by your own words, it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE for a Canadian distributor to have a foreign manufacturer ‘pre-mark’ a shipment of firearms with the Canadian import marks
    Yes, precisely.

I think my statement may have given the impression that I thought it could not be marked at the factory. Just to be clear, my understanding is that an importer *could* have the manufacturer "pre-mark" the firearms prior to sending them to Canada.

Sounds like it will be super effective on the Khybar Pass...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lip View Post
    Sounds like it will be super effective on the Khybar Pass...
    Especially effective, as China doesn't give a flying #### about UN marking regulations. Oh, and Russia too. 2 main black market arms suppliers.

I followed up with an e-mail asking to have this confirmed in writing to that same individual, to date, no reply! No surprize.