Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: U.n. Firearms marking regulations

I sent an email for what its worth. I'm sure the Prime Minister will be reading it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    This can be done quickly and crudely in just a few seconds, but no gun owner would be satisfied with the result.
    I don't think it's this simple. IIRC the regs call for the engraving to be a certain size, and depth which would require specific machinery. This isn't as simple as an electropencil scrawl.
    Join the CSSA today: cdnshootingsports.org/

I have heard mention of precise laser engraving and etching.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefBoyOhBoy View Post
    Was on the phone with the RCMP techs today RE self-manufacturing a Restricted firearm. He kindly reminded me that I should do it before July 1st as it looks like the new marking regs will come into effect. He informed me that it doesn't make any sense and was 'mostly political' so I should finish my serialize my build before they come into effect.

Overall a good discussion with the tech today...the front line CS? Not so much...

Will be writing my letter tomorrow and sending it off, though I'm sure its falling on deaf ears.
    Isn't it only for firearms that come from outside of Canada?......

Quote Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
    Isn't it only for firearms that come from outside of Canada?......
    How many firearms u own are actually come from inside of Canada...?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildey View Post
    I have heard mention of precise laser engraving and etching.
    This link makes mention of it. Although I am not sure how much I trust ammoland though, because judging by this quote from that page:

Why can't the manufacturers apply the marking when the firearm is manufactured? Because Canada’s Bill C-10 Regulations state precisely when those markings must be applied:

3. (1) Every individual, business or public service agency that imports a firearm shall ensure that the firearm is marked in accordance with section 4 before the 60th day after its release as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Customs Act or before transferring the firearm, whichever occurs first.
    But I don't see anywhere that says it can't be done by the manufacturer. If the manufacturer applied the laser engraving, wouldn't it be legit? as it is "Before the 60th day after its release"?

Has any other countries implemented any of this stuff? Are there any real-world examples we can draw on? (I'm not trying to downplay the issue, clearly it shouldn't be happening, but I like to know some facts before I make a decision, not just opinions and hearsay.)
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Has any other countries implemented any of this stuff? Are there any real-world examples we can draw on? (I'm not trying to downplay the issue, clearly it shouldn't be happening, but I like to know some facts before I make a decision, not just opinions and hearsay.)
    The only one I saw marked like that is B&T APC556. You can google the pics. it starts with CH for swissland, then year, then serial number. So it looks like CH 15 2885.

Also there is youtube video from shot-show and the ones there are marked US 16 XXXX.

We got some canadian APCs so people can say if theirs are makred CA 17 XXXX.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by dyi View Post
    How many firearms u own are actually come from inside of Canada...?
    A few.

I mean if you buy an NEA lower and assemble it you won't have to have it engraved. IDK what the guy is building but in the chance that the RCMP told him every gun needs to be engraved at least he now knows Canadian ones won't.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by raks View Post
    I don't think it's this simple. IIRC the regs call for the engraving to be a certain size, and depth which would require specific machinery. This isn't as simple as an electropencil scrawl.
    You could use a punch though. It would be ugly, and have the finish issues as suggested earlier.

I go write a letter right away.
    Thomas Jefferson : "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."