Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: U.n. Firearms marking regulations

Quote Originally Posted by rkm456 View Post
    I'm planning to do both. Fwiw, of the emails I've sent I've only had 1 not responded to.
    Never hurts to do both, but the way he described it is they can't really ignore a printed letter. That was a few years ago though...maybe the process has changed.
    "Never trust a government that doesn't trust its own citizens with guns...."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraGuy View Post
    Never hurts to do both, but the way he described it is they can't really ignore a printed letter. That was a few years ago though...maybe the process has changed.
    Granted I'm new to the whole political involvement scene, bu Justin is the only one that doesn't take the time to write back.

Granted I'm new to the whole political involvement scene, bu Justin is the only one that doesn't take the time to write back.
    You're in Ottawa....go knock on his door.
    "Never trust a government that doesn't trust its own citizens with guns...."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraGuy View Post
    You're in Ottawa....go knock on his door.
    With a non restricted slung over my shoulder, lol.*

* That was a joke about him probably not knowing it can be done legally, not any sort of threat.
    Last edited by rkm456; 03-24-2017 at 11:25 PM.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Yes but that simply sets a day it needs to be done by, It doesnt say it can't be done before they get it.
    Exactly. They are assuming many manufacturers will not add the markings at time of manufacture so they are giving importers up to 60 days to apply the markings once they are in Canada. Why is this so hard to understand. Of course, the original manufacturer is welcome to add the markings earlier if they want. No one would think the markings need to be added twice. ...... do they ?

This is again showing how ignorant governments are with people who own firearms, the legal responsible owners of firearms. The firearms used in crimes are on the hips or hidden in cars of gang members and criminals who don't give a F*** about laws and certainly not about what the UN says. These firearms regulations are so a** backwards and suck up so much money that could be used to help the homeless or starving and have zero impact on the actuall threats. Just screw over the guy or lady who has a license, a safe and abides by the laws.
    "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more..."

Quote Originally Posted by MustangFrank View Post
    Exactly. They are assuming many manufacturers will not add the markings at time of manufacture so they are giving importers up to 60 days to apply the markings once they are in Canada. Why is this so hard to understand. Of course, the original manufacturer is welcome to add the markings earlier if they want. No one would think the markings need to be added twice. ...... do they ?
    Not trying to pick a fight here, but this is open to interpretation of a section in the Customs Act, 2(1) I think, and the legal interpretation I have been given is that the marking has to be applied with in 60 days after leaving CBSA. It has been said that CBSA will be responsible to enforce this, well that is news to me, no one in Government has been able to advise the CSAAA who will enforce that the marking is carried out to the correct standard. What if you are found in possession of a gun that has not been marked correctly? Would you be charged?

Yes it would be much easier and much more cost effective if this could be carried out by the manufacture or exporter but that is not possible according to how this has been explained to me. This is an import marking not a manufacture or export marking requirement.

If anyone has anything in writing from the Government please share it with us.

As for cost I think you can expect anything from zero (If carried out by some manufactures) to as high as $200. It is not just the cost of a laser engraving machine but the time to unpack de-grease, engrave, inspect, re-oil and repackage. Will we be required to keep a log book of engraving? Who will inspect them, or will they even be inspected? I do not know!

As to not marking rare or extremely valuable guns (Who decides this?) my understanding is that an importer can apply to mark the gun in a discreet place if it is rare or valuable not that she is exempt from marking.

I would urge all of you to encourage your local dealer to join the CSAAA so that they can be kept informed of developments rather than react to rumour. The stronger the CSAAA, which is a Canadian Dealer Association, the stronger their voice in Ottawa.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 03-25-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Not trying to pick a fight here, but this is open to interpretation of a section in the Customs Act, 2(1) I think, and the legal interpretation I have been given is that the marking has to be applied with in 60 days after leaving CBSA. It has been said that CBSA will be responsible to enforce this, well that is news to me, no one in Government has been able to advise the CSAAA who will enforce that the marking is carried out to the correct standard. What if you are found in possession of a gun that has not been marked correctly? Would you be charged?

Yes it would be much easier and much more cost effective if this could be carried out by the manufacture or exporter but that is not possible according to how this has been explained to me. This is an import marking not a manufacture or export marking requirement.

If anyone has anything in writing from the Government please share it with us.

As for cost I think you can expect anything from zero (If carried out by some manufactures) to as high as $200. It is not just the cost of a laser engraving machine but the time to unpack de-grease, engrave, inspect, re-oil and repackage. Will we be required to keep a log book of engraving? Who will inspect them, or will they even be inspected? I do not know!

As to not marking rare or extremely valuable guns (Who decides this?) my understanding is that an importer can apply to mark the gun in a discreet place if it is rare or valuable not that she is exempt from marking.

I would urge all of you to encourage your local dealer to join the CSAAA so that they can be kept informed of developments rather than react to rumour. The stronger the CSAAA, which is a Canadian Dealer Association, the stronger their voice in Ottawa.
    Thanks for the clarification. That is what I have read on this as well, markings must be applied after importation which will put the cost and inconvenience on Canadian firearms owners and dealers.

Again.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    How is this done in other countries that have not delayed the implementation like Canada did?
    It sure seems silly and only goes to show how out to lunch the UN and our current PM are.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

So sad that our country has become a place where this kind of disclaimer is necessary. Orwell was right.
    With a non restricted slung over my shoulder, lol.*

* That was a joke about him probably not knowing it can be done legally, not any sort of threat.
    Stupidity is its own punishment.
    “The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride,”
    ~Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy