Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141626 ... LastLast

Thread: U.n. Firearms marking regulations

CGN Regular
    I would also suggest writing letters to medias pointing out the huge and costly disservice they are doing to the Canadian public. Jr and the Liberals are exploiting that relationship by the minute and as long as the media supports them little will change. Get the media on board with different sensational stories contradicting existing government policies and the Liberals will be paying attention.

An example is Wendy Cuker's video where she implies the LGR hasn't killed anyone. That is a heartless disregard to the plight of women in abusive relationships where money is spent on a paper registry rather than on women's shelters. Given that 200 women a night are turned away from shelters, lack of shelters due to no funding, and statistically when a woman tries to leave an abusive relationship and has to return to that relationship there is a greater degree of violence and death, so spending money on a paper registry instead of women's shelter may indeed have lead to the death of some women.

Also the fact that human trafficking is on the rise in Canada and that there are unsolved murders in this country other than indigenous. Backyard pools are the cause of some 40 to 60 children each year in this country. And there is the logic factor of implementing a policy without any substantiation or demonstrations of results.

Just a thought.

Letter sent this a.m.

Time to start a new business.

One Shot Firearm Engravings.

E-mail me for quotes.
    Follow through isn't just a shooting fundamental, it's a life skill.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Not trying to pick a fight here, but this is open to interpretation of a section in the Customs Act, 2(1) I think, and the legal interpretation I have been given is that the marking has to be applied with in 60 days after leaving CBSA. It has been said that CBSA will be responsible to enforce this, well that is news to me, no one in Government has been able to advise the CSAAA who will enforce that the marking is carried out to the correct standard. What if you are found in possession of a gun that has not been marked correctly? Would you be charged?.

I didn't think you were picking a fight. We all have the greatest respect for your work. However, at the risk of sounding overly naïve, what was your answer when you inquired with the head of CBSA ( or their delegate ) for clarification on this issue. If they are the enforcing department, I'm sure they have offered clarification.

My overly simplistic interpretation was due in part to the vague wording, but also in addressing the spirit of the rule which is to identify the country of importation as well as the date of import. With this in mind, I cannot see why it matters who and when the markings are applied as long as they are there within 60 days of importation. Maybe I'm being too logical.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by R005t3r View Post
    So sad that our country has become a place where this kind of disclaimer is necessary. Orwell was right.
    Little to do with our country.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangFrank View Post
    I didn't think you were picking a fight. We all have the greatest respect for your work. However, at the risk of sounding overly naïve, what was your answer when you inquired with the head of CBSA ( or their delegate ) for clarification on this issue. If they are the enforcing department, I'm sure they have offered clarification.

My overly simplistic interpretation was due in part to the vague wording, but also in addressing the spirit of the rule which is to identify the country of importation as well as the date of import. With this in mind, I cannot see why it matters who and when the markings are applied as long as they are there within 60 days of importation. Maybe I'm being too logical.
    I have not spoken to CBSA, the UN marking regulation states the following:
    The markings must be made before the 60th day after its release as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Customs Act or before transferring the firearm, whichever occurs first.
    The legal opinion given to the CSAAA on section 2(1) was that this meant the marking had to be applied after release from Customs, if ( and it is a big if) this opinion is correct how can Customs be responsible for enforcing something up 60 days after they have released it. If we were allowed to have the manufacture or exporter apply the UN marking then yes it would make sense for Customs to confirm correct marking, but to what purpose as if they were not correctly marked, so what, we have 60 days to comply. The whole plan has not been thought through in a practical or logical manner.
    You are guilty of applying common sense and logical thinking to this matter, however I have to agree with your conclusion: the spirit of the rule which is to identify the country of importation as well as the date of import. With this in mind, I cannot see why it matters who and when the markings are applied as long as they are there within 60 days of importation.

Please Remove

nothing to see here
    Last edited by HirvGotti; 03-25-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Don't want this shown
    Sisu - The will of the Finnish people to overcome against impossible odds.

Quote Originally Posted by HirvGotti View Post
    (3) In the case of an imported firearm, the Registrar, on application by the individual, business or public service agency that is importing it, shall grant the applicant an exemption from the requirement set out in paragraph (2)(c) if

(e) the firearm is imported by a business that holds a licence for the purpose of using the firearm in respect of motion picture, television, video or theatrical productions or in publishing activities.

Is the above license a possible work around? or are the licenses individually issued for each firearm?
    I seriously doubt it, and if it was you just alerted the whole world to it, way to go! Sorry not meaning to s--- on your good intention, but this forum, especially my page is very closely watched by the RCMP. Never underestimate your opponent or give away possible useful intelligence. The last Government were not our friends, the current Government is even worse, why should they be concerned with the inconvieance or expenses to us when we are so ignorant and divided. The time for one strong united voice is long overdue.

"East of the Rockies, and west of the rest" - Corb Lund
    If that's the case maybe HirvGotti just deletes his post and the quote goes too? I know it won't undo it, but better than leaving it.

CGN frequent flyer warrenlikesboats's Avatar
    The best thing we can do is buy PC memberships and vote in a leader for that party who has a sensible idea about gun control.... Maxime so far seems promising... only 3 more years of liberal tyranny haha