Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: U.n. Firearms marking regulations

tagged

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gh_defiant View Post
    Forgive my ignorance on this one, but how does adding a couple extra character to a firearm "add over $200 to the price of every single firearm sold in Canada"? Where did they get this number?
    From what I understand, there are certain requirements for the engraving, plus I'm sure most owners don't want any damage to their finish and whatnot. That means it most likely will have to be professionally done within the given time frame. All firearms imported into the country will need to get this done. Basically a wholely unnecessary step after manufacture that will not actually serve much of a purpose.

So from I'm reading, the stamping now has to say Canada/CA on imported firearms. Can someone fill me in as to what the issue is? They all have to be stamped with serial numbers, this is just 2 more letters.
    I do see how it can be a legal snare to add another charge to someone though.

Some letters sent, looks to be another way to register fire arms,
    What about if you send a gun to the US to get repaired or restored, would they have to be marked when returning??
    Cause that would wreck the value of a restored gun.
    If Guns are outlawed
    Only Outlaws will have guns
    CASD, CGN[/SIGPIC]S, NFA, CSSA., RFOA, AFGA. V&DF&GA
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. --- Thomas Jefferson

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VICIOUS's Avatar
    HI. As to why this is needed. World social order. Orson wells!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by gh_defiant View Post
    Forgive my ignorance on this one, but how does adding a couple extra character to a firearm "add over $200 to the price of every single firearm sold in Canada"? Where did they get this number?
    Think of the time it would take to ship the firearm from the importers warehouse to a gun smith. Gun smith has to put the gun in a vice, inspect, pick a spot, engrave the firearm, clean up the engraving marks, and then refinish the engraved surfaces to match the original finish, box up the firearm and ship it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrtv View Post
    So from I'm reading, the stamping now has to say Canada/CA on imported firearms. Can someone fill me in as to what the issue is? They all have to be stamped with serial numbers, this is just 2 more letters.
    I do see how it can be a legal snare to add another charge to someone though.
    The issue is that if foreign manufacturers are not stamping their firearms as compliant with Canadian law at the time of manufacture, they will have to be remarked after import. This will cause delays and added handling costs as part of the import process, basically resulting in a significant premium put on foreign made firearms, for no benefit. This will likely result in delays with the import process as well.

There does not seem to be any obligation on the part of firearms owners to have their firearms marked appropriately, only that the importers need to have them marked. Failure to have them marked would constitute an offence under the firearms act.

In broad strokes the issue is that UN weapons inspectors tracking the flow of arms into conflict zones have difficulty tracing those firearms due to a lack of internationally recognized principles for the marking of small arms. The UN created an arms trade treaty where by all firearms manufacturers are supposed to mark the place of origin of the firearm, and importers/exporters are supposed to mark the arms as having transited through the country. In theory, if everyone in the world was compliant with the treaty, a firearm seized from a child soldier in an African conflict would be marked with every country it had transited through from point of manufacture to the conflict zone, or at least the last marked country on the firearm would be the last country the firearm entered legally, at which point the UN arms inspectors would know in what country the firearm fell into illegal possession. But of course international arms smugglers are about as likely to follow the law as a hood rat in Toronto is to register his prohibited handgun.

This theory is based on the fallacious assumption that all firearms supplied to parties to armed conflict are done so illegally, and that all such illegally possessed firearms were actually manufactured legally, and then diverted illegally to the conflict zone. The reality is that the UN recognizes the right of all nation states to acquire arms for sovereign self defense, and the majority of arms used in conflicts are purchased legally on the open market, and then later used illegally by those same people in unsanctioned armed conflicts.

The question we need to ask our government as they embark upon this idiotic marking regime is how many firearms once legally owned by Canadian civilians were illegally exported out of the country and have fallen into the hands of UN weapon inspectors after being seized in a conflict zone.

In my mind, the only firearms in Canada that should be subject to this regulation is those firearms specifically manufactured in Canada destined at the time of manufacture, for export to another government, government agent, or corporation for non-recreation/sporting purposes. All other firearms being exported from Canada COULD be subject to such a marking scheme if at the time of export it was identified that the firearms were being exported to a government, government agent, or corporation for non-recreation/sporting purposes. Similarly, whenever the Canadian government is exporting surplus firearms for transfer to other state actors, such as surplus C7s supplied to Afghan security forces, they also should be so marked.

Assisting UN weapons inspectors trying to stifle the flow of weapons to armed conflicts is a laudable goal. Targeting firearms destined for the Canadian civilian market for recreational purposes makes about as much sense as putting moose whistles on submarines.

Quote Originally Posted by 53moose320Elk View Post
    Some letters sent, looks to be another way to register fire arms,
    What about if you send a gun to the US to get repaired or restored, would they have to be marked when returning??
    Cause that would wreck the value of a restored gun.
    No, firearms temporarily exported from and returned to Canada would be exempt, as long as ownership did not change while outside of Canada.

This is not another way to register firearms. Business records for importing of firearms already exist, and law enforcement can already get access to import records through a variety of means.
    Last edited by Cameron SS; 03-27-2017 at 01:08 PM.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Regular
    My letter is going out today.

Sent letters out in print and email
    Get someone you know to buy a restricted firearm

Quote Originally Posted by dmc_82 View Post
    Hmm, why hasn't anyone brought forward an official E-Petition yet??? I know a few MP's that would more than likely sponsor this. Mr. Wolverine could come up with the proper wording perhaps. I know it's the 11th hour and this should have been done months ago but would it not hurt to try at the very least? We can write as many letters as we want but it will fall on deaf ears. I suppose an E-Petition might have the same problem but it may hold more clout given it's more visual (public's eye) than a personal letter/fax/email.
    Exactly, both CGN and the CSSA have experience in dealing with the government, I'm sure an E-Petition would be simple to set up...and if it's possible to send everyone a PM to sign it...
    PRACTICE, so there'll only be a Singleshotneeded! :-)

I'm sure that CGN and the CSSA have the experience to put together an official federal E-Petition as easy as pie. Then the mods can send a PM to everyone on CGN about signing it and send a link. Sounds a lot more efficient than and effective than something an individual could come up with, regardless of how willing he is...
    PRACTICE, so there'll only be a Singleshotneeded! :-)