Wolverine .303

Business Member Rep
Business Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
U.N. FIREARMS MARKING REGULATIONS

From our friends at CSSA
The time is 11:59 p.m.
We are roaring up to the deadline. On June 1, 2017, the United Nations' Firearms Marking Regulations will be implemented, and Canada's gun industry will take the punch right in the head.

Oddly enough, the House of Commons is strangely silent on this.

We implore you to write to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and firmly request that this foolish exercise be halted immediately, before extensive damage is done to a licensed, legitimate industry.

U.N. Marking is expensive, time consuming, potentially dangerous and worse, TOTALLY UNNECESSARY.

The United Nations requested we have a system of tracing firearms. The Chrétien government chose to add ridiculous post-manufacturing markings on all imported firearms.

Be forewarned – the cost of a firearm may rise dramatically and businesses may close.

• For 12 years, the CSSA and the CSAAA have stood virtually alone in opposing the implementation of this regulation.

• We have repeatedly warned our members about this issue.

• We have even been accused of exaggerating the case to raise funds. So let's be clear: the CSSA has never ONCE asked its members for money to support this issue. We have, however, asked for a call to action.

Once again – one last time – we need your assistance to deter the Government of Canada from implementing this damaging and useless regulation.

Please write to the Prime Minister and ask him to stop this implementation. Tell him the CSSA has a constructive alternative that will not cost Canadian jobs and buckets of money – money that will ultimately come out of your pocket. Don't hesitate. Do it now – it's even free!

Thank you!
Team CSSA
Contact information:
The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau
Prime Minister of Canada
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A2
Telephone: 613- 995-0253
Fax: 613-941-6900
Email: justin.trudeau@parl.gc.ca

Hey Wolverine, do you guys know anything about the details of this? Such as how much it might increase costs?

Also, they mention the cssa has an alternative, but I see no details on what that may be?

So question. Guns are already marked with a variety of markings. Adding four more digits "CA" and year "XX" can hardly be expected to add any cost, but this is obviously ONLY the case if guns are marked specifically at the time of manufacture.

This would require all foreign manufactured firearms to be manufactured specifically for the Canadian market. Has anyone in Canada contacted any of the big gun manufacturers to determine if they would be willing to do this? If they are not, then it certainly lends credibility to the cost argument being used to demonstrate the ridiculousness of these regulations.

Hey Wolverine, do you guys know anything about the details of this? Such as how much it might increase costs?

Also, they mention the cssa has an alternative, but I see no details on what that may be?

If a firearm at the time of import does not comply with the regulations, which no firearm would unless specifically marked at the time of manufacture for the Canadian market, the gun will need to be marked with "CA" and the last two digits of the year of import.

This can be done quickly and crudely in just a few seconds, but no gun owner would be satisfied with the result. Any such marking would likely damage the finish on the firearm and leave it vulnerable to corrosion from the elements. To do a good job of it, the affected surface will need to be refinished after marking by a competent individual, and that's where most of the cost will come from. Some have estimated this cost at up to 200 dollars, resulting effectively in a premium for foreign made firearms.

Canadian gun manufacturers would obviously mark all of their firearms at the time of manufacture to be compliant, and likely wouldn't suffer any added costs. Unmarked foreign made firearms would probably see a rise in value on the used market. I think the possible disruption to the market is far more significant than any actual cost gun owners could bear.

As for the CSSA's secret alternative...It would seem only they get to know.

Was on the phone with the RCMP techs today RE self-manufacturing a Restricted firearm. He kindly reminded me that I should do it before July 1st as it looks like the new marking regs will come into effect. He informed me that it doesn't make any sense and was 'mostly political' so I should finish my serialize my build before they come into effect.

Overall a good discussion with the tech today...the front line CS? Not so much...

Will be writing my letter tomorrow and sending it off, though I'm sure its falling on deaf ears.

This can be done quickly and crudely in just a few seconds, but no gun owner would be satisfied with the result.
I don't think it's this simple. IIRC the regs call for the engraving to be a certain size, and depth which would require specific machinery. This isn't as simple as an electropencil scrawl.

Was on the phone with the RCMP techs today RE self-manufacturing a Restricted firearm. He kindly reminded me that I should do it before July 1st as it looks like the new marking regs will come into effect. He informed me that it doesn't make any sense and was 'mostly political' so I should finish my serialize my build before they come into effect.

Overall a good discussion with the tech today...the front line CS? Not so much...

Will be writing my letter tomorrow and sending it off, though I'm sure its falling on deaf ears.

Isn't it only for firearms that come from outside of Canada?......

I have heard mention of precise laser engraving and etching.

This link makes mention of it. Although I am not sure how much I trust ammoland though, because judging by this quote from that page:

Why can't the manufacturers apply the marking when the firearm is manufactured? Because Canada’s Bill C-10 Regulations state precisely when those markings must be applied:

3. (1) Every individual, business or public service agency that imports a firearm shall ensure that the firearm is marked in accordance with section 4 before the 60th day after its release as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Customs Act or before transferring the firearm, whichever occurs first.

But I don't see anywhere that says it can't be done by the manufacturer. If the manufacturer applied the laser engraving, wouldn't it be legit? as it is "Before the 60th day after its release"?

Has any other countries implemented any of this stuff? Are there any real-world examples we can draw on? (I'm not trying to downplay the issue, clearly it shouldn't be happening, but I like to know some facts before I make a decision, not just opinions and hearsay.)

Has any other countries implemented any of this stuff? Are there any real-world examples we can draw on? (I'm not trying to downplay the issue, clearly it shouldn't be happening, but I like to know some facts before I make a decision, not just opinions and hearsay.)

The only one I saw marked like that is B&T APC556. You can google the pics. it starts with CH for swissland, then year, then serial number. So it looks like CH 15 2885.

Also there is youtube video from shot-show and the ones there are marked US 16 ###X.

We got some canadian APCs so people can say if theirs are makred CA 17 ###X.

How many firearms u own are actually come from inside of Canada...?

A few.

I mean if you buy an NEA lower and assemble it you won't have to have it engraved. IDK what the guy is building but in the chance that the RCMP told him every gun needs to be engraved at least he now knows Canadian ones won't.

Back
Top Bottom