Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First firearm advice

First firearm advice

Submitted my PAL a couple weeks ago. I am now starting the process of selecting a firearm.

The purpose of this firearm will likely be punching holes in paper. I MAY hunt some small game in the coming fall but whether I have the time/energy/desire to do that is yet to be seen.

So I have narrowed my choices to either an eastern block milsurp rifle (SKS or Mosin), other milsurp in the 500$ range, a more modern bolt action or a Shotgun in 12 gauge.

I am trying to find a nice balance between fun and price. The SKS or Mosin fit the price point well and from everything I have been seeing, can be used as serviceable hunting rifles. Other milsurps, enfields, k98, Norinco M305's all have a bit more wow factor associated with them I feel, but the price reflects this. I was informed a higher caliber milsurp bolt action will fall to a more modern bolt action, even a budget one. So I see no reason to buy a $500 milsurp bolt action rifle when I could pick up something that will easily out perform it.

The final option is a shotgun. I have fired everything from 410 up to 12 gauge. I was looking specifically for a 12 pump gun. Something about ejecting a spent round, the sound ect. All of it makes me happy. It also seems like a 12 gauge mixes excellent utility with relatively cheap ammo and an all around good time. It can be used for hunting smaller game, birds, varmint all the way up to larger stuff. So this appeals to me on several levels.

If you where in this position, what would you say provides the best mix of value/fun for target shooting, while maintaining the ability to hunt.

My first firearm was an SKS. It wasnt too long (weeks) after more joined it in the safe: 12ga, 22lr bolt action then came the restricted etc...

An SKS and a 22lr are a lot of fun for cheap
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gnome75's Avatar
    Much like DT741 said you need at least three guns. Some would call it the big three.

Hunting rifle - sks or mosin are good choices. Get a mosin if you plan on getting a semi auto 22lr *cough* marlin 795 *cough*

A shot gun - Shot guns are extremely versatile. You can hunt small woodland critters like bunnies, clays and deer just get any 12ga that you like. *cough* not mossberg *cough*

a 22lr - semi or bolt is all personal preference. Lever actions are just too expensive to me. This is the ultimate plinking gun, I sold my sks and go a semi auto 22lr and have not regretted it

if you wanted a milsurp SKS is certainly the way to go cheap, cheap ammo, fun to shoot and you can shoot 500rnds in a day and have no worries... for a good well priced P/A shotgun id say a 870... i have a 870 tactical with the blackhawk stock with pistol grip and i love shooting it could do it all day everyday... but for a first time gun id say a .22, personally i like the 10/22 lots of different ways to set it up for whatever tickles your fancy... but to each his own

Let me clarify I have no intention of doing one and done. I have a fair amount of shooting experience. I will definitely be buying a .22 when I find the right deal/model for my needs. I am talking "first gun" into the safe right now. I follow the SKS page on facebook and have been heavily favoring it. My only real concern right now is the increase in SKS prices/ammo that is happening. The mosin was me "cheap bolt action" option that got thrown into the mix for obvious reasons.

As for shotguns, I have been looking at the big 2 pump actions. Or more specifically the 870 express and the Maverick 88 (I know the differences between it and the 500). I am just trying to narrow it down to why I should buy one over the other as the SKS/870/88 are all right around the same price (the mosin is of course cheaper). Finances are a bit tight right now, so dropping a ton of cash on a purchase isn't the best option. Thinking seriously about this, a shotgun keeps looking like the best option for me at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by naminator58 View Post
    Let me clarify I have no intention of doing one and done. I have a fair amount of shooting experience. I will definitely be buying a .22 when I find the right deal/model for my needs. I am talking "first gun" into the safe right now. I follow the SKS page on facebook and have been heavily favoring it. My only real concern right now is the increase in SKS prices/ammo that is happening. The mosin was me "cheap bolt action" option that got thrown into the mix for obvious reasons.

As for shotguns, I have been looking at the big 2 pump actions. Or more specifically the 870 express and the Maverick 88 (I know the differences between it and the 500). I am just trying to narrow it down to why I should buy one over the other as the SKS/870/88 are all right around the same price (the mosin is of course cheaper). Finances are a bit tight right now, so dropping a ton of cash on a purchase isn't the best option. Thinking seriously about this, a shotgun keeps looking like the best option for me at this time.

im not sure about in calgary but here in onatrio the sks's at canadian tire are going for $199-$229 from what ive seen so that would be your best bet buy a sks get some bulk ammo and go have a good time

CGN Regular
    For someone starting out into the firearms foray and possible hunting scenario, much would depend on what you plan on hunting and what range work you plan on doing.

You indicated that you want to punch paper and possibly hunt small game. So ideally you want a cost effective option, but something reliable. My advice would be:

1. Save the milsurp stuff for later, once you become familiar and confident handling guns and have learned the fundamentals of marksmanship.
    2. Select a shotgun or rifle that is going to be suitable for the game you plan to hunt with the least amount of learning curve, but will maintain reliability.
    3. Select an appropriate caliber or gauge for your skill level (i don't recommend getting a 10 gauge or latest super magnum to start - RECOIL IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!)
    4. Make sure the gun fits you and is comfortable to shoot (correct length of pull).
    5. Practice, practice, practice.

If it were me, for a rifle I would select a Weatherby Vanguard series rifle in a moderate cartridge (243 Winchester, 260 Rem, 308 Winchester, 270 Winchester). For a shotgun, it's pretty hard to beat the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500/590 series pumps in 16 or 20 gauge.

Good luck and have fun.

CGN frequent flyer
    A shotgun is not made for making holes in paper, although it can do that too, but there are much better tools for the btask at hand.

A shotgun is for shooting at moving targets, such as clay targets and birds. If that is in your plans, get a shotgun. If not, get a rifle.
    "Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."
    -- George Orwell

I forgot to change my location. I am now living in Lloydminster, last time I saw an SKS it was 279.99$ and I was advised from 2 other gun stores that they will be very hard to source ammo and guns.

Quote Originally Posted by naminator58 View Post
    I forgot to change my location. I am now living in Lloydminster, last time I saw an SKS it was 279.99$ and I was advised from 2 other gun stores that they will be very hard to source ammo and guns.

lol my canadian tire has 4-5 cases of 1100(corrosive)... i think it was 1100 something like that plus they had 3-4 different kinds in 20rd boxes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast