Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KAC Stripped lower update

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Farmboy's Avatar

KAC Stripped lower update

We have been back and forth with KAC on the importation of the stripped non ambi lowers due to quality concerns.

Returning a lower in Canada for warranty isn't as easy as it is in the US.

We wanted to be sure we didn't have any returns and that you guys who pre ordered were happy with your purchase.

We have debated cancelling this order and waiting for the next run however we don't have a time frame and a few clients I've spoken to aren't concerned with blemishes.

I'm coming to you guys asking if you still want these lowers. What say you?

KAC has said that the long ears on the trigger guard prevents the install of KAC combat trigger guards and there can be minor forging dings.

Here is a complete statement from KAC as well.

I can openly confirm that this release was completely an effort to get lower consumer cost KAC receivers to those that would be happy with TDP type lowers. The decision to initiate a forging purchase, with parts on shelf in time for SHOT was well before the election, and the worst case scenario was that Clinton would be elected and a buying frenzy would catch us with insufficient product on shelf to meet demand. The quantity of forgings planned for this is well in excess of anything we would stock or "overrun". New production started with the "KM017XXXX" serial number range, based on a traditional TDP type drawing that was in-house from something years ago. I cannot comment as to what those were for, but when the initial demand hit, it was remembered that we had "matching" product stored away in sufficient quantity to relieve the pressure from SHOT. It was later discovered that while those parts had gone through a QC process, that process was not the same as what is currently applied to 5.56 lowers or rifles.

It is entirely reasonable that a buyer would want to install the KAC triggerguard.
    The forward protrusion of the ears that block installation of the KAC triggerguard is a result of forging dimension. When that drawing was created a different forging was used, and a different dimensional confirmation protocol than our "standard" ambi lower was used post-machining, which was rolled into the first "17" lower run. These also featured the counter-bored take-down and pivot pin holes. The same final QC process was applied to the first "17" run as was called for on the "8" run, which was TDP/mil-spec functionality driven.

These were mistakes, as it allowed a product to reach commercial customers with a significantly higher probability of minor cosmetic blemishes (they are still type II class 3) and forging dings, or show longer "ear" protrusion that could block installation of the new KAC triggerguard without minor fitting. We knew that there would be primarily two types of customers that would buy these lowers; folks that wanted a KAC lower for guns that would be shot, and folks that wanted a neat piece of KAC history at a monumental time in US history.

Yes, we are taking a beating here and over at other similar forums over these. However, for all of the gnashing of teeth, we currently have less than 10 returns here ever since the release began. Even if that number increases to 500%, the return rate is low enough for me to know that the vast majority of customers are happy with their purchase. Believe me, every RMA, every customer complaint pains us, and initiates a process and QA review to ensure that we are delivering to expectation. That said, it is indeed true that we are a military/government oriented company, so the QA procedures reflect MIL-STD/MIL-PRF acceptance requirements, and since we do not run separate manufacturing lines for product, sometimes items that are just inside the mil/gov acceptance range get out to commercial buyers. Some customers are ok with that, some are not. For those that are not happy, as always, let us know and we will do everything within reason to meet reasonable expectation.

Even with the criticism that we have faced over these, I am still happy that we did it.

Jack
    Please note, my opinion could be biased based on past and present employment

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThorHavenFarm

i,m painting mine FDE so i say bring them in.
    bbb

BANNED
    I'm not interested in a $270 gamble. To me, part of the allure of owning a KAC product is the quality and craftsmanship. If they can't even make an in spec lower receiver it kind of devalues the brand, and I wouldn't want to contribute to that "good enough" mentality. It is my understanding that they are forcing customers in the US to pay for shipping back to KAC, this is unacceptable. I can only imagine the migraine it would be for a Canadian return.

That being said, a huge THANK YOU to Farmboy and the guys/gals at One Shot Tactical. Your professionalism and transparency on this issue are the reasons why I have, and will continue to shop with you in the future.

Here's to hoping KAC can get their acts together!

Cheers,
    Innwoods

They should lower the price for you OST. KAC should just sell a little over cost let the dealers make money on it. But lower price across the board.

WHAT SAY YOU ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paulinski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by innawoods View Post
    I'm not interested in a $270 gamble. To me, part of the allure of owning a KAC product is the quality and craftsmanship. If they can't even make an in spec lower receiver it kind of devalues the brand, and I wouldn't want to contribute to that "good enough" mentality. It is my understanding that they are forcing customers in the US to pay for shipping back to KAC, this is unacceptable. I can only imagine the migraine it would be for a Canadian return.

That being said, a huge THANK YOU to Farmboy and the guys/gals at One Shot Tactical. Your professionalism and transparency on this issue are the reasons why I have, and will continue to shop with you in the future.

Cheers,
    Innwoods
    Agreed 100%. I'm out as well.
    CSSA and CCFR Member...

Quote Originally Posted by innawoods View Post

Cheers,
    Innwoods
    This^^
    Almost $300 for a stripped lower of inferior quality just b/c it's got "KAC" on it? No thanks...
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

If anyone wants to cancel their pre order please let us know.

So far we've just had a flury of new orders.

Name:  FB_IMG_1490931976341.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  37.2 KB

I'd definitely take a blemished lower for a lower price since I plan on beating the crap out of it anyway.

Not interested in building a safe queen with it. I say bring them in anyway, but try to negotiate a lower price from KAC.

There's a huge stink about these on ARF as well and KAC was definitely active in that thread responding to client's concerns.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dempster View Post
    I'd definitely take a blemished lower for a lower price since I plan on beating the crap out of it anyway.
    Better yet. Ask them to include the KAC trigger guards, installed. That way we know the "ears" are in-spec. Or at the very least accomidate the KAC trigger guards. I don't really care about minor blemishes, but if I can't easily install a trigger guard I would be pissed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast