Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Quick MV review: the good, the bad, and the Ugly! **update post 99**

Hey guys
    I may get some flack for this but for those cuirious about shooting the cheapest ammo you can find out of the mv.
    I was able to bring mine out yesterday for the first time since receiving it last month! And omg! What beautiful rifle to shoot! Esthetics through the roof - founction amazing. I shot about a hundred rounds some bulk whinchester and some Barnaul steel case

Oddly enough I had two FTf with the whinchester and zero malfunctions with the Barnaul. Zero issues with bulk ammo I'm sure I could have ran all day with the stuff. Didn't shoot much for accuracy but at 75 m in about a 6" circle was a ale walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Battleworn View Post
    Hey guys
    I may get some flack for this but for those cuirious about shooting the cheapest ammo you can find out of the mv.
    I was able to bring mine out yesterday for the first time since receiving it last month! And omg! What beautiful rifle to shoot! Esthetics through the roof - founction amazing. I shot about a hundred rounds some bulk whinchester and some Barnaul steel case

Oddly enough I had two FTf with the whinchester and zero malfunctions with the Barnaul. Zero issues with bulk ammo I'm sure I could have ran all day with the stuff. Didn't shoot much for accuracy but at 75 m in about a 6" circle was a ale walk.
    I'd say its your rifle, shoot what you want through it! As I recall, there have been some reliability issues with some of the Berdan primed or harder primed stuff. I've shot some AE 55g and some UMC out of mine with no problems, the AE seems to be a little more accurate though with significantly more muzzle flash. I still have a bit left from when it was $0.40 a round a couple of years ago, and its still about $0.60 a round lately from what I've seen. How much was the Barnaul and Winchester WB/round? The Barnaul is non-corrosive, right?

OTOH, ammo problems is a major cause of malfunctions/failures/damage so keep that in mind as well. Needing a repair on a $3500+ rifle would quickly negate any cost savings on ammo. Given the cost of all of the black rifles in Canada, I think it only makes sense to be choosy about the ammo we feed them. The premium varmint ammo seems to run about $1.50 a round, so I'm obviously not going to shoot that all of the time.

following
    Last edited by 556tar21; 08-24-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 556tar21 View Post
    Does the mv suffer from the charging handle shaking open with recoil like my MH?
    I haven't had issues. Does your charging handle have the rare earth magnet? Does it shake open with longer strings or with just a shot or two?

Dang, while I have been saving all my money for my "mid-life crisis car"............... this makes me less worried about getting rejected for the car loan. A fully tricked out MV would be an adequate consolation prize.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Before we get into a run away on different calibers I want to stress.
    We are testing the 6.5 Grendel ONLY!!
    It will not be offered until we have proven to ourselves it is viable and that we can get parts. Once we have the answers we need then and only then will be advise whether we will be offering it.
    If looking at Grendel, how about 6mmAR?
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

22 nosler would be cool too but I think maybe the capital ONLY may have been a hint.

CGN frequent flyer boss351cleveland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Just spoke with a customer this morning and he sent us a picture he took. He was using Hornady 75gr Steel Case Match at 100 yrds.
    I've personally never shot this ammo, and regrettably I've just snubbed it off as steel-cased with a fancy box... but.... I'm curious to give it a shot now...

Yes, it's a 3 round group.

What barrel did this customer have on his rifle ?

following
    Last edited by 556tar21; 08-24-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 556tar21 View Post
    ya rare earth magnets. she pops open every other shot. thats really my only critisism great rifles otherwise!!
    My MV has ?maybe done it once, but I think I didn't have it all the way forward when I closed the bolt. Maybe your bolt handle is out of spec? Or maybe the recoil of the MH is enough to pop it loose?

As far as Grendel ONLY, I think he was just reminding us that they are still at the testing stage and not to get too excited. Sounds like the 7.62x39 is out, 6.8 is on the ropes, but 6.5 is still a maybe. I really want to use mine for deer hunting so hopefully either the Grendel or SPC works out. Time will tell.