Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Quick MV review: the good, the bad, and the Ugly! **update post 99**

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Next trip out, try using only one magazine. I'd suggest picking one of the steel ones, and see if it's still happening. Alternatively, if you are local here you're welcome to stop by the shop anytime with it and we can take a quick look at the charge handle. And as Rick said, we are working on a different handle retention system all together.
    Thank you for the tip. I live in southern SK so I wont be stopping in anytime soon. As I said Iam not overly worried about the issue, I simply watch everytime I release the bolt to make sure its properly seated. When the new charging handle becomes available I will simply replace mine.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Are you guy's looking at another folding handle or a one peice unit?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar
    My MV will get in just in time for the opening of deer season on Haida Gwaii now I need to figer out what factory 223 hunting ammo to use on deer any recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by carverk View Post
    My MV will get in just in time for the opening of deer season on Haida Gwaii now I need to figer out what factory 223 hunting ammo to use on deer any recommendations ?
    No real world experience - here and in most of Canada it doesn't meet the caliber minimum for big game (I know it does there). Did you sell your MH? Or are you just keen to give the MV a try? Haven't been to Haida Gwai in a long time, from what I remember the deer are roughly the size of a German shepherd, correct?

I would suppose any hunting ammo would work although I would lean towards a 60gr partition, 62gr fusion, a federal blue box soft point, or even a TTSX. Me personally, I wouldn't use varmint ammo as I would be worried about bullet failure leading to inadequate penetration if the shoulder was struck directly for an example. I think the federal MSR line uses the fusion bullets and is supposed to be pretty reasonably priced. As I said, any of the 'premium' bullets designed for weight retention AND expansion over varmint ammo. FMJ's are of course NOT a good idea, so if you can't find any of the premium stuff I'd go for good old federal blue box or Remington core-lokt in a heavier weight bullet ~60 gr. As I recall, ATRS does not recommend lead tipped bullets as there can be feeding issues so testfire before you go of course.

Of course, if you still have your MH throw a red dot on your 308 or 6.5CM and you're golden! Hopefully a Canadian with real world experience can chip in.

Check out http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hun...030-whitetails

Quote Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
    No real world experience - here and in most of Canada it doesn't meet the caliber minimum for big game (I know it does there). Did you sell your MH? Or are you just keen to give the MV a try? Haven't been to Haida Gwai in a long time, from what I remember the deer are roughly the size of a German shepherd, correct?

I would suppose any hunting ammo would work although I would lean towards a 60gr partition, 62gr fusion, a federal blue box soft point, or even a TTSX. Me personally, I wouldn't use varmint ammo as I would be worried about bullet failure leading to inadequate penetration if the shoulder was struck directly for an example. I think the federal MSR line uses the fusion bullets and is supposed to be pretty reasonably priced. As I said, any of the 'premium' bullets designed for weight retention AND expansion over varmint ammo. FMJ's are of course NOT a good idea, so if you can't find any of the premium stuff I'd go for good old federal blue box or Remington core-lokt in a heavier weight bullet ~60 gr. As I recall, ATRS does not recommend lead tipped bullets as there can be feeding issues so testfire before you go of course.

Of course, if you still have your MH throw a red dot on your 308 or 6.5CM and you're golden! Hopefully a Canadian with real world experience can chip in.

Check out http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hun...030-whitetails
    I wound up trading MH is was to heavy and to bulky for my liking
    To be honest I Probably wouldn't have gotten a MV and went with a Quality bolt action but it was too late and ATRS was already making my rifle
    I am looking forward to hunting with the smaller and lighter MV shoot are going to be under 75 yards on small deer
    I loved my MH Only traded because the rifle was to heavy to carry on foot
    Last edited by carverk; 05-02-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carverk View Post
    I wound up trading MH is was to heavy and to bulky for my liking I loved my MH Only traded because the rifle was to heavy to carry on foot
    I hear you, the weight was the only thing that kept me from buying a MH (and just barely). Most semi-autos firing 308 sized cases are right around this weight though. Couldn't help myself once the MV came out though (plus I was pissed the Liberals got elected - seemed like a good idea to buy while I could and support a Canadian company). Have realized over time that I'm more a hunter than a shooter, and IMO its hard to beat a lightweight bolt action for a hunting rifle. The ability to walk with an empty chamber on rough terrain or while walking to and from a hunting area and quietly load a round is big for me. I always drop the bolt in a semi-auto to make the chambering of each round as similar as possible and minimize POI shift between first and second rounds. Don't like to make that loud thunk in the woods though...

Really like my MV, and am hoping to give it a try on deer this fall if the Grendel works out. Otherwise, its a great coyote and target shooting gun. Honestly prefer the ergonomics of a shooting an AR style rifle with adjustable LOP for layering up and down, more upright pistol grip feels more natural for my wrist, and love bringing the crosshairs back on target and firing a second time - just keep focusing on the target... Can't say I shoot it any better than my 243 though. I'm going to have to take it for a serious gopher hunting trip this summer too - it hasn't been fired nearly enough, have to check my log but only between 200-250 rounds so far... practically firearms abuse.

Good luck on your deer hunt, don't forget to post pics.

With deer season right around the corner, I pick up 9 boxes of assorted ammo to brake in my MV and figer out what this girl likes to eat
    Canada post tracking is saying delivery on the 10th going to give me about 20days to Break in and sight my rifle
    Add sum no shoot days for weath it's not that much time befor the action starts

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    I've only used Barnes bullets to shoot deer and bear in the .223, but they work well. You don't want a varmit bullet.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I've only used Barnes bullets to shoot deer and bear in the .223, but they work well. You don't want a varmit bullet.
    Umm - is this supposed to say 'bear' or 'boar'? there's some pretty damn big bears out in the pemberton area. That 375 in your footnote might be more appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I can't get into my photobucket so hopfully Shaun will post photo's in a new thread with a warning of lots of dead Stuff ,may go shoot sum raccoon and beavers befor the deer season opens just to warm-up a bit
    We have a lot of deer,beaver ,raccoon , rat problems on Haida Gwaii it alway good to do my part and lend a helping hand sumone has to do it lol
    Last edited by carverk; 05-04-2017 at 02:14 AM.