Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Quick MV review: the good, the bad, and the Ugly! **update post 99**

Hey guys
    I can't remember where I seen the post about changing the barrel on the mv. Do anyone know how difficult it would be if one wanted to just do a barrel swap down the road? Or perhaps atrs could post a video on how to do this ??

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Its a proprietary barrel extension....
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Battleworn View Post
    Hey guys
    I can't remember where I seen the post about changing the barrel on the mv. Do anyone know how difficult it would be if one wanted to just do a barrel swap down the road? Or perhaps atrs could post a video on how to do this ??
    To remove and replace a barrel in a MV is not much different than in an AR, the problem will be that our upper does not fit any of the AR upper vises so damage to the upper while torquing the barrel nut on is high. A barrel extension wrench passed through the upper and held firmly in a vise is the answer.
    Keep in mind though our barrel extension is NOT a standard AR15 extension.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Keep in mind though our barrel extension is NOT a standard AR15 extension.
    Would you mind terribly showing us the difference with a picture so those of us on the other end of the country can better grasp the differences? Would a Geissele Reaction Rod work? The Barrel Extension Torque Tool on your website?

You do use a normal AR bolt though, correct? So that down the road that can easily be replaced? As I recall, in the Modern Hunter discussion way back it was stated that the carrier was modified but that the bolt was standard so that replacements for consumables weren't going to cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jadam View Post
    Would you mind terribly showing us the difference with a picture so those of us on the other end of the country can better grasp the differences? Would a Geissele Reaction Rod work? The Barrel Extension Torque Tool on your website?

You do use a normal AR bolt though, correct? So that down the road that can easily be replaced? As I recall, in the Modern Hunter discussion way back it was stated that the carrier was modified but that the bolt was standard so that replacements for consumables weren't going to cause problems.
    The reaction rod will work, we made our own for assembling the uppers but I would think any reaction rod for an AR15 would work perfectly. The difference between our barrel extension and a standard AR barrel extension is the locating pin position.
    The bolt heads in but the MV and MH ARE standard AR, the carriers in both are modified so as to work with the side charge handle.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Super GunNutz
    The reaction rod will work, we made our own for assembling the uppers but I would think any reaction rod for an AR15 would work perfectly. The difference between our barrel extension and a standard AR barrel extension is the locating pin position.
    The bolt heads in but the MV and MH ARE standard AR, the carriers in both are modified so as to work with the side charge handle.
    Do you guys sell those reaction rods? Like the idea of it, but the geissele stuff is super expenxive...

Quote Originally Posted by zhou1ping View Post
    Do you guys sell those reaction rods? Like the idea of it, but the geissele stuff is super expenxive...
    I don't see why not. We have never been asked for 1. I will have to figure out what it costs to make them. Let me ponder for a day or 2.

Awesome. Thanks for the clear reply! I appreciate you folks did a lot to jump through hoops to make the NR status happen for this rifle, but damn if anything AR-like doesn't get me jonseying like a kid with Lego. Gotta make changes and tweaks here and there!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Quick MV update after 2 more range outing: Remington UMC group have open up a bit but Winchester 55 gr. White box have tighten significantly. The gun runs F'ing flawless!!! Never had stoppage!

I brought my friend to the range and set up a 8" gong at 100 yards he has next to no firearms knowledge and here are is observations: he much preferred shooting the SKS at the gong then the MV. The MV was boring cause you just could not miss! I took it for a complement and said next time we'll just put the gong further!

XCR's vs MV, factory ammo experience

MV update. Previously most accurate ammo was Nosler VM 55g, didn't like hornady superperformance match 75 g. 75 grain is tightening up and is now reasonable, but surprisingly Winchester Varmint X 40g shot very well, almost as well as the Nosler. The SP does have a noticeably different recoil impulse and muzzle blast - I probably won't buy it again. Tried some Fiochi 55g FMJ as well, did shoot better than the American Eagle 55g I've got. If you can find some, I'd recommend it for practice ammo (I've only tried the two variety's of FMJ). 325 rounds downrange so far, no stoppages/failures/etc. No issues with any of my magazines including 2 ATRS 10 rd (please make more!), ASC 5 and 10 round, E-lander 5/30, Magpul 5/30. The magpul didn't drop free at first but does now. Very impressed with the Proof barrel and how quickly it cools down although I only shoot 5 shot aimed groups - no mag dumps etc. Did do a 1 10 round mag slow aimed fire - just for function testing Before anyone says it, yes, I will do some formal accuracy testing when I get the chance and post some pics.

Very happy with it - will likely order a 6.5 Grendel upper for it soon. Currently my favourite rifle, bar none. Don't have extensive black rifle experience, but owned two different XCR-L's as well as an XCR-M in the past. Major difference is the trigger and fit/finish with the advantage to the MV. My $0.02 is I'd get an XCR if I was looking for a rifle for general use, occasional mag dumps, hunting and generally harder use. While my MV has been 100% reliable and I have a great deal of faith in it, the piston drive of the XCR and adjustable gas block is an advantage for reliability in touch conditions in my mind. Since I don't plan on packing my rifles with mud and seeing if they still work, this is a minor feature for me. The ergonomics on the XCR are also very good (IMO the biggest advantage of modern sporting rifles) and the easy availability of caliber conversion kits and uppers is a plus. I would say the recoil impulse of the MV is softer (none of my rifles wear brakes so that is not a factor), but turning down the gas on the XCR after break in helps (all of the three I've had were able to have the gas turned down very quickly without reliability issues during the break in period).

My recommendation - if you want an off the shelf NR semi-auto available in a variety of colours good for hunting, plinking and general use get an XCR. If you want it your way - colour, hand guard, buttstock, barrel contour, +/- CFW barrel etc and accuracy is your highest priority I'd go with the MV. I believe both are 100% reliable in any but the most extreme of conditions, but the difference between the triggers is too big for me to get past. For myself, I'd go with the Factory MV as well over the XCR. Again, just based on the trigger I am very confident its accuracy will be better than the XCR (which I found to be a 1.5-2MOA rifle with factory ammo and 2-3MOA with plinking ammo). YMMV.

I'm planning to get a Grendel for it and take it deer and coyote hunting this fall.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast