Thread: First Rifle/Shotgun Purchase Suggestions

Question First Rifle/Shotgun Purchase Suggestions

Good day,

I am looking to purchase a non-restricted rifle or shotgun to shoot targets and hunt with. I am a military member and have shot 12 Gauge, 5.56, .223, 7.62, and .308 before. Some requirements I have are that the gun is still being produced and has the same or similar functionality as modern military weapons (pump/semi auto for shotgun, bolt action or semi automatic for rifles), is able to fit a stock magazine (or tube) that the gun was designed to use (no shortened magazines, even if it's pinned to 5 rounds), has aftermarket parts that can support accessories on Picatinny rails, and isn't going to cost me a few thousand dollars.

Does this perfect weapon for me exist? Thank you ahead of time.

Best regards,

Dan

Remington 870 will fit the bill for shotgun. Its used in the CAF.

For the rifle, Browning BAR hog stalker in 308Win(semi auto) is pretty ####ing awesome if you can find one. If not, Remington 700 is/has been used for years in the CAF. But I would suggest Savage for rifles.
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

I don't want to change the subject to Remington versus Savage, but why do you suggest one over the other?

Quote Originally Posted by DT741 View Post
    Remington 870 will fit the bill for shotgun. Its used in the CAF.

For the rifle, Browning BAR hog stalker in 308Win(semi auto) is pretty ####ing awesome if you can find one. If not, Remington 700 is/has been used for years in the CAF. But I would suggest Savage for rifles.

870 for a shotgun or rem 700 for rifle... thats what i was gunna say... the 700 comes in lots of different calibers and styles

Quote Originally Posted by Fros7bite View Post
    I don't want to change the subject to Remington versus Savage, but why do you suggest one over the other?
    ive shot both and i really like both... the savage i think has a nicer trigger and the recoil was better (ive shot a savage 308 and 243 and remington 308 and 7mm)... but as a overall gun i prefer the remington... and im looking to get a 700 myself... again... but if i ran across a nice savage 10tr for a good price i would jump on it

Anything semi-automatic that fits the bill for shotguns and rifles?

Anything semi-automatic that fits the bill for shotguns and rifles?
    Site sponsor Corwin Arms has the Asena semi shotgun for less than $350, I have not shot or held one myself, but I have heard nothing but glowing reports from those who have purchased them, I am honestly thinking about one myself, worth a look anyway

Sorry, just checked, looks like they are sold out
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

Quote Originally Posted by edgy View Post
    Site sponsor Corwin Arms has the Asena semi shotgun for less than $350, I have not shot or held one myself, but I have heard nothing but glowing reports from those who have purchased them, I am honestly thinking about one myself, worth a look anyway

Sorry, just checked, looks like they are sold out
    Just checked, looks like you're right. Magazine fed is something I like! Is there are restriction on how large the magazine can be on a semi-automatic shotgun?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer philhut's Avatar
    Magazines on shotguns make hunting a challenge as you are limited to 3 rounds in the tube.

Depends what you want to do with your rifle and shotgun

Any name brand rifle btw $700 to $1200 will do you just fine in the calibre of your choice, get some rings and scope for more precise shooting. Shotguns range btw $200 to lots again name brand and same as above applies except no scope needed.

Personnal experience.

I used to shoot a Rem700 AAC-SD and as soon as I shot with a Savage 10TR, I sold my 700. I got more for my money with the 10TR out of the box.
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.