Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your paperwork?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Salibas007 View Post
    originals stay in the safe
    2 copies. 1 in my truck, and 1 in the ammo can that contains my range goodies
    This is ^^ what I should have done instead of having to go looking for where I misplaced my papers

This thread seems like a good place to ask this. Sorry OP, will piggyback your thread for just a bit. My answer to the thread myself is originals stay in the safe, I make photocopies, cut them into wallet size and laminate them. I bought a luggage tag that I attach to my range bag so that's where they go.

Now on to my piggyback question...I overheard a small debate about what someone previously said that they put their papers in the pistol case. So one guy was telling another guy that he shouldn't keep papers in box because if ever pulled over by LEO, and asked to produce registration, he would be in trouble for unlocking case on the side of the road to produce said papers. Other guy defended it by saying he would be instructed so it's okay, but other dude said it would be a "trap" and not all LEO's know the regs as well so he may get lucky but why chance it. Your thoughts...and again sorry OP for hi-jacking.
    I may not be as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was

Don't practise until you get it right...practise until you can't get it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by rayzorloo View Post
    This thread seems like a good place to ask this. Sorry OP, will piggyback your thread for just a bit. My answer to the thread myself is originals stay in the safe, I make photocopies, cut them into wallet size and laminate them. I bought a luggage tag that I attach to my range bag so that's where they go.

Now on to my piggyback question...I overheard a small debate about what someone previously said that they put their papers in the pistol case. So one guy was telling another guy that he shouldn't keep papers in box because if ever pulled over by LEO, and asked to produce registration, he would be in trouble for unlocking case on the side of the road to produce said papers. Other guy defended it by saying he would be instructed so it's okay, but other dude said it would be a "trap" and not all LEO's know the regs as well so he may get lucky but why chance it. Your thoughts...and again sorry OP for hi-jacking.
    One of the special conditions attached to your license allows you to transport your restricted firearm to where a peace officer is located for verification.
    Teach your daughters to shoot because a restraining order is just a piece of paper.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    I transport my pistols in an aluminum pistol case so have several plastic cases that the pistols originally came in. One of those cases I throw all the original reg certs and any other paperwork into it. I don't cut the certs out of the paper they come on, nor do I laminate them or make copies, as I don't see the need for any of that. The only time this case gets opened is when I buy a new restricted and I toss a new one in there. Some haven't seen the light of day in a decade or more.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Scan Hi res color into computer, (backed up) , originals in range bag.
    The Liberal Party believes that terrorists should get to keep their Canadian citizenship ... "because I do,”.... Trudeau

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    Scanned into computer and emailed to my phone.
    Originals stay at home. Back up on my computer. Phone goes with me everywhere anyway so no chance of forgetting paperwork.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    Scanned into computer and emailed to my phone.
    Originals stay at home. Back up on my computer. Phone goes with me everywhere anyway so no chance of forgetting paperwork.
    Good point, my wife always asks me if I have that "thing" attached to me...I think I will put it in my phone as well.

My addition to the discussion is that I keep scanned copies in a cloud drive, so I can access them from my phone or iPad if needed. This can be Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud, etc. In addition to the paper copies in the range bag (outer pocket) and the original cases I store them in. Originals in with all my other shootin' stuff.

When scanning, I suggest you go for a higher than 'standard' resolution, ie. >200 dpi. This lets you blow it up to legible form on your screen. Alternatively, take a photo with your phone.

I also have copies of manuals for my guns, cameras and anything else I think I might need stored in PDF format on the cloud drive and/or on my ipad. This lets me access them without having to lug the paper copies.
    Last edited by nugunner; 04-08-2017 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Additional info.

...So I see most people don't keep it in the locked case in case they have to produce it to a LEO then?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzorloo View Post
    ...So I see most people don't keep it in the locked case in case they have to produce it to a LEO then?
    Put it wherever you want, unless you do something stupid, you probably will never need to produce it.

However, producing to police wouldn't factor into a decision on where to keep the certificate for me. if police want to inspect the firearm and match it to the reg cert, he's going to have to open your case anyway. Just producing a reg cert with no firearm to match it with doesn't tell the officer anything.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast