Thread: Shipping Restricted Firearms

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar

Shipping Restricted Firearms

Situation I have right now is I'm storing my restricted firearms at an approved alternate storage location other than my residence. So I was just wondering if it were possible to have a restricted firearm shipped to my residence, which upon arrival would be transported to storage. Or is it only possible for restricted firearms to be shipped to the address they're registered to?

"only possible for restricted firearms to be shipped to the address they're registered to" Well to the RPAL owner's address, the firearm is registered to the guy not the address. On your RPAL there's an addy, if you want to store it somewhere else you have to ask permission. Why wouldn't you store your gun at your place is the question.

Call the CFP folks at: 1-800-731-4000 and explain your situation. They will let you know if your current ATT will cover this movement of your restricted firearms or if you need an interim ATT for moving them from one location to another.

Quote Originally Posted by btabin View Post
    Situation I have right now is I'm storing my restricted firearms at an approved alternate storage location other than my residence. So I was just wondering if it were possible to have a restricted firearm shipped to my residence, which upon arrival would be transported to storage. Or is it only possible for restricted firearms to be shipped to the address they're registered to?
    My guess is now it will have to be an extra step for you to ask the CFO... I was also curious how do you get an alternate storage approved? Call and ask the CFO?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pencilneck View Post
    "only possible for restricted firearms to be shipped to the address they're registered to" Well to the RPAL owner's address, the firearm is registered to the guy not the address. On your RPAL there's an addy, if you want to store it somewhere else you have to ask permission. Why wouldn't you store your gun at your place is the question.
    I'm new to restricteds but I thought it was just registered to the person as well. Yet the lady I spoke with made it sound as if they were registered to myself as well as an address. From what I got, I could only store them where they're on file to be stored (alternate address) unless given approval to change locations or whatever.

So just wondering if there's any laws to worry about when shipping and receiving restricted weapons that are to be stored at an alternate address.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfixer View Post
    Call the CFP folks at: 1-800-731-4000 and explain your situation. They will let you know if your current ATT will cover this movement of your restricted firearms or if you need an interim ATT for moving them from one location to another.
    I have called and been given conflicting answers. I honestly dread calling them to ask questions now, it's so inconsistent lol.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Roc View Post
    My guess is now it will have to be an extra step for you to ask the CFO... I was also curious how do you get an alternate storage approved? Call and ask the CFO?
    Just contact the CFP and ask them to email you a form for alternate/secondary storage. Fill out a few questions and submit it, then wait the usual 3-5 business days for approval. Once approved, when purchasing restricteds, make sure you indicate they will be stored at the alternate/secondary location.