Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Ruike knives P128-SF and P831-SF now available

CGN Regular
    The P128SF is fantastic. I did a review here:

* do not link - copy and paste your review here

I may have made a mistake, though, when saying that they are the same company that make Fenix flashlights, as I read that they are not necessarily made in the same place.
    Mike

Expired Business Member
    Hey Barfman

Im not seeing your review

Ruike is a partnership with Fenix but not made buy Fenix

Regards

CGN Regular
    Yup, it wasn't allowed to be posted, as it links to an outside source from Reddit. Here is the writing in the post, slightly edited:

This knife comes nicely packaged as per all Ruike's knives, and with a very acceptable price tag of $65 CAD.

The blade is made of Sandvik 14C28N steel, which I find to be a very decent mid range product. Ruike, a company that is partnered up with Fenix flashlights, is quickly becoming known for quality. This is my 3rd Ruike knife already, having had owned the P801 and still own the F118 Jager. Both are phenomenal knives, take insanely sharp edges, and have quite good edge retention, while also being quite easy to sharpen. That is testament to Ruike's heat treatment. The only reason I don't have the P801 anymore is because I gave my cousin the knife. Glad this new offering from Ruike could take its place!

The knife is quite hefty at 5.6 oz, but it feels lighter than you'd expect. This knife is on the large size with full steel scales with a frame lock and "beta-plus" lock. My hands are large, and it feels really great at filling them. It just feels solid as a rock when you get a good grip on it.

I had expected jimping along the spine for thumb grip. I was initially disappointed, until I held it with my thumb on top. The back of the blade is very thick, and provides plenty of comfortable space to place the thumb on for pressure.

The design is simple but elegant. Overall, due to the size, it does look fairly aggressive. The blade shape is new to me, in a harpoon type tip. It still does have quite a deep belly, but my concern was that with the thickness of the blade, it may not be "slicey" enough. I tested it last night on a hard apple though, and found it to do the job quite well. It's comforting that the tip will be that much stronger with the beefed up tip, and overall, it just feels almost like a heavy duty fixed blade.

My only beef with the blade is that I do prefer to have aluminum standoffs in the frame, rather than what appears to be a G10 spacer covering ~75% of the back. I just find that it makes them easier to clean out, but it certainly didn't stop me from buying.

The action when flipping I find to be very easy. It has ball bearings in the pivot, which gives it a nice smooth opening. The others trying it out for their first time have had no issues fully getting to lock up on their first try. It makes a little bit of a smooth sliding sound of steel gently rubbing against steel. It's quite comfortable too, as the flipper is quite thick at 0.14".

The pocket clip seems standard for Ruike, but I actually like the bare steel version that this comes with. My P801 had a painted or anodized finish in blue, but I prefer this simple look of all bead blasted steel with satin pivot and screws.

Overall, the people who have seen it so far could hardly believe the price tag. It's a beautiful knife, and just reeks of quality. I don't care who needs a knife now, this one is never leaving my hands! For comparison, I also do have high end knives. I carry the ZT 0450CF and 0804CF, but feel that this can keep up to those much more expensive knives. The 0450CF is just better for my usual weekday carry, as this would look a little suspicious in a suit. The Ruike is my new weekend warrior!

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/RBtb3#OuioJZU
    Mike

CGN Regular
    Just as a follow up to my review, I have been using this knife for a few months now. I really couldn't recommend it more. The slight issue I had with the G10 spacer has been a total non-issue. It still has quite a bit of free space to allow for a good clean. I have used it for all sorts of tasks, and find that it rarely needs sharpening. I keep it razor sharp on my Spyderco Sharpmaker with ease.

One of the best parts of the Ruike steel and heat treatment is just how insanely sharp they get. I can't get my knives with "supersteel" (S30VN, S35VN, CTS204P, etc) anywhere near it. When sharpening, I do the paper test and find that it barely makes a sound as it whips through newspaper after very little work on the stones. I'm sure it doesn't hold an edge as long as my more expensive knives, but I find those powdered hard steels so bloody frustrating to touch up. It probably takes 10 times as long, which doesn't make up for maybe twice the edge retention at best.

I really love the knife, and carry it very frequently. It is fairly large and looks quite aggressive, but it is so bloody usable. If you're looking for a good sized no-nonsense knife for a very good price, just get it. It's fantastic.
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12