Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is that legal?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGunner7.62 View Post
    Can some one point me to rcmp forms that basically say that if its factory its legal because I'm making a stupid silly short 50 with the help of atrs that no factory would ever make and i don't wont to be caught with a "prohib" on account that most cops or even rcmp don't know the law.
    It's called the firearms act. The rcmp forms are just a written opinion on what the law says.

ATRS is a manufacturer... you are buying a manufacturered gun made by a licenced gun manufacturer. Not a sawed of.

Keep your receipt. Atrs isn't about to sell you something prohib.

How long is the barrel? What is the action (semi or manual)? What is the OAL?
    Last edited by fenceline; 04-13-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

This is a very grey area and I have never met anyone with a viable answer. I see guys put 10" barrels on Ruger 10/22 and still believe it is legal because overall length is over 26" even though Ruger never released a N/R 10" version to Canada, and the barrel they place on is not a Ruger factory piece. Dominion has released a N/R grizzly as short as 8.5" I believe. Stevens made a trapper rifle in N/R that had a 13" barrel. My thought is if there is a N/R version of the same firearm that is shorter then 18.5 then your safe to the factory length but anything less then a factory sold length is risky in a country where you are Guilty until proven innocent.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kingjenky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    Pistols/handguns in 25acp and 32acp are prohibited, not "guns". And no they won't stay prohibited. They can be rebarreled to other calibres such as 32acp being turned into 380acp and made restricted. Simple barrel swap on some guns.

Its done most often with 32acp browning pistol by installing a 380 barrel. Drops right in with no gunsmithing required. Simple verification results in status changing to restricted as long as the barrel exceeds 105mm.
    But why fenceline.....was there a reason for prohibiting handguns/pistols in them two calibers or just cause???
    We are all so politically correct!!!! its gonna ruin us all......

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjenky View Post
    But why fenceline.....was there a reason for prohibiting handguns/pistols in them two calibers or just cause???
    Because the government of the day was anti gun and wanted to remove as much as they could from public hands. A wide variety of military guns had 4 inch barrels and were in 32acp. 25acp are generally pocket guns. So in the eyes of the gun grabbers these small concealable guns were a public menace and an easy way to remove a large number from public hands.

But the reasons given as to why are secondary to the primary goal of banning guns.

I'm sure the authors of the legislation didn't take into account that guns can be rebarrelled or rechambered.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

DA50 with a 8.5inch barrel over 26inches with a fixed stock.
    Like i said stupid silly short but hey i was told 5 guns in the house and I'm down to 4 thanks to the people here and i always wanted a 50bmg "pistol".

Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    It's called the firearms act. The rcmp forms are just a written opinion on what the law says.

ATRS is a manufacturer... you are buying a manufacturered gun made by a licenced gun manufacturer. Not a sawed of.

Keep your receipt. Atrs isn't about to sell you something prohib.

How long is the barrel? What is the action (semi or manual)? What is the OAL?

Newly manufactured barrel. All good. Your paper work, receipts will do more for you than any rcmp bulletin. The firearms act and that and you'll be fine.

No different than any other gun with a short barrel.

Well i hope i will never have to prove anything but makes sense to have that on me .

Thanks guess i was over thinking this just paranoid that ill loss the gun and my freedom if someone thought i had a sawed off.

And thanks to Canada Ammo for bringing the da50 in the first place love my "practical one" its quickly becoming one of my fav firearms.

This is a good resource on these issues: https://nfa.ca/legal-issue/barrel-and-firearms-lengths/

And just to clarify, YES you certainly can have a barrel less than 18" on a semi-auto NR rifle...
    If that were not the case then my Ruger SR22 (which came with a 16" barrel and now sports a 12.5" Dlask barrel, and is still > 26 inches) would be prohib...and it isn't.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by bcbravo2zero View Post
    This is a good resource on these issues: https://nfa.ca/legal-issue/barrel-and-firearms-lengths/

And just to clarify, YES you certainly can have a barrel less than 18" on a semi-auto NR rifle...
    If that were not the case then my Ruger SR22 (which came with a 16" barrel and now sports a 12.5" Dlask barrel, and is still > 26 inches) would be prohib...and it isn't.
    Yes you can have a barrel less that 18 inches and be Non-Restricted... ON A RIMFIRE RIFLE. With rimfires it is all about overall length, and barrel length doesn't play a factor. Not so with a centerfire rifle.

You can install a new, 12.5 inch barrel and as long as it is over 26 inches OAL, you are still NR. But if you CUT the 16 inch barrel, it would become prohibited. YOU CAN'T CUT A BARREL BELOW 18 inches. But you can install a new barrel made to a length under 18 inches.

Come on people. Read the firearms act. Stop going to secondary sources.
    Last edited by fenceline; 04-13-2017 at 05:01 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Craig0ry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabatage View Post
    This is a very grey area and I have never met anyone with a viable answer. I see guys put 10" barrels on Ruger 10/22 and still believe it is legal because overall length is over 26" even though Ruger never released a N/R 10" version to Canada, and the barrel they place on is not a Ruger factory piece. Dominion has released a N/R grizzly as short as 8.5" I believe. Stevens made a trapper rifle in N/R that had a 13" barrel. My thought is if there is a N/R version of the same firearm that is shorter then 18.5 then your safe to the factory length but anything less then a factory sold length is risky in a country where you are Guilty until proven innocent.
    Factory doesn't mean it has to come from the same factory that produced the gun, it's not really a grey area at all, I think it's pretty cut and dry, If I go buy a Ruger 10/22 today and slap on a 12" dlask barrel for example, perfectly fine, legal and still NR
    I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast