Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Registration Certificate

Handgun Registration Certificate

Hi All. I just bought my first handgun. I bought the gun March 21st and it was couriered to my house on April 3rd. I received my updated PAL with ATT conditions in the mail a couple of days later.

However, I am still waiting for the registration certificate. There was a form with the gun with the registration number on it saying I would receive a certificate in the mail, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I have been having lots of fun taking my gun apart and putting it back together, but I'm getting kind of anxious to actually shoot it.

Is this typical? When should I expect to get the registration?

Yes it is typical, usually a 2-3 week wait for the regi to show up in your mailbox unfortunately
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

Quote Originally Posted by edgy View Post
    Yes it is typical, usually a 2-3 week wait for the regi to show up in your mailbox unfortunately
    Thanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    When the brown RCMP envelope with the green insert arrives - happy days !!!!!!!
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    When the brown RCMP envelope with the green insert arrives - happy days !!!!!!!
    Thank god they're the only letter I get from the the gendarmerie but they're my favorites
    NFA
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Baitcaster View Post
    Hi All. I just bought my first handgun. I bought the gun March 21st and it was couriered to my house on April 3rd. I received my updated PAL with ATT conditions in the mail a couple of days later.

However, I am still waiting for the registration certificate. There was a form with the gun with the registration number on it saying I would receive a certificate in the mail, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I have been having lots of fun taking my gun apart and putting it back together, but I'm getting kind of anxious to actually shoot it.

Is this typical? When should I expect to get the registration?
    I'm kind of in the same boat... Are we legit with a copy of the transfer (I got it by email from the RCMP) until we get the new registration?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer scout_289's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefboubou View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat... Are we legit with a copy of the transfer (I got it by email from the RCMP) until we get the new registration?
    From what I know you are legal to own it, possess it in your residence on record with the RCMP but you cannot exercise the ATT privileges on your RPAL until you physically have the reg cert.

Please don't ask me to explain why not ........
    Let's follow the USA example: https://project2025.afsp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Toolkit_Safe_Firearm_Storage_CLEARED_508_2-24-20.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by scout_289 View Post
    From what I know you are legal to own it, possess it in your residence on record with the RCMP but you cannot exercise the ATT privileges on your RPAL until you physically have the reg cert.

Please don't ask me to explain why not ........
    This is the problem with our regs...ON CFO told me I was good to go with the email if I wanted to go to range. I didn't but just thought I'd ask her. Now I'm sure if I called back I'd get a different answer from a different agent. Not doubting or challenging your post, just pointing out how inconsistent it is for us.
    I may not be as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was

Don't practise until you get it right...practise until you can't get it wrong

CGN Ultra frequent flyer scout_289's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzorloo View Post
    This is the problem with our regs...ON CFO told me I was good to go with the email if I wanted to go to range. I didn't but just thought I'd ask her. Now I'm sure if I called back I'd get a different answer from a different agent. Not doubting or challenging your post, just pointing out how inconsistent it is for us.
    That's why I hedged my answer, I didn't want a person to take my opinion and get into trouble.

There has been much written on these pages about going to the range with transfer paperwork but I'm sure that my LTATT clearly states that I need the registration certificate. I'll check tomorrow but that seems to be the way it is.

My LTATT covers AB, SK and MB between two residences so maybe there's a twist in that?

Right now I'm sitting on a new revolver waiting for my cert to go shoot it so I know the feeling.
    Let's follow the USA example: https://project2025.afsp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Toolkit_Safe_Firearm_Storage_CLEARED_508_2-24-20.pdf

CGN Ultra frequent flyer freezer filler's Avatar
    Best thing to do with these types of questions is to email them so you have a physical copy of the response... if you call and they say you're good to go, a cop might not agree. I would print the approval and the response and keep it with you until you get your certificate if you do go anywhere with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast