Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handgun Registration Certificate

It's kind of a goofy thing. There's nothing on the ATT conditions any longer that says you have to have the registration certificate with you (At least on mine, licensed in January, for transport within my home province of AB), and one agent I spoke to said as a result of it not being listed, you no longer have to carry it with you when you go to the range, but have to have received it in the mail before taking the restricted pistol out to the range. Ergo, yet another legal Shrodengers Cat if you were to get pulled over with a recently acquired firearm, without the reg. How would they know if you've received it or not?

So you're probably fine in theory to take it out with only the transfer letter, but it could be seized if a peace officer feels frosty, and then you'll have to go get it back once the certificate does arrive, which I imagine wouldn't be a great experience. Chances are most officers are going to follow and enforce the old rule of having to possess the certificate during transport, so you'll save a lot of hassle by waiting.
    Last edited by Bootstrap; 04-15-2017 at 11:05 PM.

I have a similar question and don't want to hijack the thread but would like to know this too: if I pick it up in store and have my PAL, ATT (I understand that's a generic doc that allows transportation to and from certain points and home and you don't need a separate ATT for each one of these points like the store and your home or the range and your home), and gun transfer document BUT NOT the gun registration certificate yet, is that allowable to pick it up and take it home and then just wait for the registration certificate?

I received my updated PAL with the ATT conditions. I called the CFO and they said I could take the gun to the range with the letter saying the transfer was approved. I don't need to wait for the registration to arrive.

Just got my transfer today in Alberta, the lady at the CFO stated I have to wait for the certificate to take it to the range. She also stated if I don't have with me the police can confiscate my gun. Mind you in 45 years of owning handguns I have never been ask for a ATT or regesteration.

Life member, NRA, NFA,CFSS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12