Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cabela's policy ... by looks only?

I tried to do a research shopping trip there for a pistol as soon as my application for my RPAL showed up as "approved and in the mail" on the RCMP portal. They wouldn't even so much as take it out of the case for me to look at it in their hands, claimed it was a strict CFO directive, so I peeled out of there. . I don't completely blame them. They're a huge corporation with policy(s) to maintain, it was just kind of disappointing.

Made my way down to P&D here in Edmonton, and they let me handle and test-fit pistols a few pistols even after disclosing my "almost licensed" status. I made it clear that I was a serious customer barring receiving my plastic in the mail within two weeks, and they treated me like one. I even ended up leaving there that day having put a rifle on layaway, which they do up to 60 days, even for non-PAL holders, as they await their license. Fantastic customer service for newbies, I've since been back recently to buy a pistol.

I buy on sale ammo from Cabela's and that's it. The LGS is working way harder for my business in the gun department. They also have to flexibility to work with new shooters that the big box store just doesn't have the time and flexibility for.
    Last edited by Bootstrap; 04-15-2017 at 10:48 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by z1000rider View Post
    Yeah because if somebody was going to go postal, THEY WOULDN'T BRING THEIR OWN GUN FROM HOME! They would decide to do it because they saw the magazines and the ammo in the customer area behind locked glass.
    liberals think that all pal holders instantly aquire firearms.
    And that no one has ever had their firearms taken. (statements implied by angry neighbor, ex wife or liberal co-worker)

Your Cabela's locks up all the mags and ammo ??
    Yes I know I need to get a spell csech
    I love this land, but my country has fallen.

STOPnTIME photos

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Wtf happened here?
    Shooter1of38 Imagine what it would be like to have two dicks.....

It's kind of like that.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trimmer 905's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLToronto View Post
    My daughter (waiting for her RPAL) and I went to Cabela's in Barrie yesterday

The idea was to check out some new for both of us pistols, how well their grips will fit in her hands and get some idea of their sights and feel triggers..

The store employees said that while I could handle the pistols, I could not check triggers as the store policy doesn't allow removing locks ..

She could not even touch pistol's grips while me holding a gun - again, the store policy ...

Buy by the looks?

Any other stores with similar policies?
    Wait until she has her RPAL first. The first thing sales staff ask at our local GS's when she asks to handle a firearm is "Do you have a license?" Big box stores are notorious for hiring people that haven't a clue what they're doing. Small gun shops are definitely the way to go.

I bought a lever action from Cabelas on saturday. The fellow at the counter unboxes my rifle and hands me a slip of paper from the box that says to make sure the rifle is unloaded before handing it. He literally passed me that piece of paper. One of my personal rules is to ensure that any gun that I handle has been proven to be safe, so he puts on the trigger lock and hands me the rifle with a closed action. I hit the lever to make sure it's safe, and the guy flips out on me. Tells me that it's store policy that you can't touch the action, and I was going to get him in trouble from his loss prevention officer who is watching the cameras. Now, I'm a grown man dropping a grand on a lever action rifle, and here is some minimum wage bench jockey tearing into me in front of the other customers for PROVE'ing it safe. It was an awkward situation for me, and chances are that's the last time I'm going to set foot in a Cabelas. Support your local gun shop.

Quote Originally Posted by hypa View Post
    I bought a lever action from Cabelas on saturday. The fellow at the counter unboxes my rifle and hands me a slip of paper from the box that says to make sure the rifle is unloaded before handing it. He literally passed me that piece of paper. One of my personal rules is to ensure that any gun that I handle has been proven to be safe, so he puts on the trigger lock and hands me the rifle with a closed action. I hit the lever to make sure it's safe, and the guy flips out on me. Tells me that it's store policy that you can't touch the action, and I was going to get him in trouble from his loss prevention officer who is watching the cameras. Now, I'm a grown man dropping a grand on a lever action rifle, and here is some minimum wage bench jockey tearing into me in front of the other customers for PROVE'ing it safe. It was an awkward situation for me, and chances are that's the last time I'm going to set foot in a Cabelas. Support your local gun shop.
    You still ended up buying from them though?

I would've put the rifle down, politely told him to learn how to hand over a potentially unsafe firearm and expect that anybody else would prove it safe before taking a closer look, and recommend a firearms safety course for him to re-take before walking out. That is just unacceptable.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Weird. I gave them a trigger lock and they proved it and put the lock on it then put it back in the box.
    Shooter1of38 Imagine what it would be like to have two dicks.....

It's kind of like that.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Two sides to every story. If your version of events is 100% accurate you still purchased the rifle. So it wasn't an awkward enough situation for you to walk away.
    Its funny reading these "I hate/dislike [insert business name here] and here is why." Seriously, why do people post on CGN to complain about service when they should be asking to speak to a manager?
    Defund the Liberal propaganda ministry, AKA the CBC.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Or, they proclaim they will boycott a entire business conglomerate outright due to a bruised ego perpetuated by some low level retail employee...
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneHorse View Post
    Ammo is available in the customer area along with magazines.......so not a bad idea keeping trigger lock on.
    No need to finger the ammo...maybe better to put the ammo behind the counter and let potential customers fondle the guns...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast