Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought my first handgun and some questions I wanna ask

Talk about wrong info. When you purchase restricted firearm(s) from a dealer they will initiate the transfer with the CFO. Once they receive a copy of your Transfer Notification (Buyer), They will inform you and then you can pick it up. Under the new Amendment to the Firearms Act Bill C-42, you no longer need a STATT in order to pick up your new firearm(s) from the dealer as it's now part of your RPAL. One thing that I do with ALL transactions with dealers is request the RCMP/CFO reference number they receive when they initiate the transfer. I then contact the CFO give them the reference number and ask them to email to me my Transfer Notification (Buyer) when the transfer is approved. I usually get it before the dealer does.
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

Not sure about your first purchase (my first was a private sale), but my transfer for my second, two weeks ago from a LGS, was done stupid quick. Transfer initiated at 3pm on Thursday and I received the email the next morning at 6am Alberta time. Once your range/club membership is on file they can really get things done fast.

Key thing is to call the CFO with the reference number from the LGS and request that the transfer notification be emailed. I called the same day I paid for the handgun, and made sure to clarify before the phone call ended, that I must request email notification for each transfer I do if I wish to receive notification that way instead of snail mail, which I guess I do. They didn't have my email address on file from my first transfer earlier this year, and said it wouldn't be kept on this one either.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Got Juice?'s Avatar
    Congratulations!!!! Pistols and revolvers are a lot of fun.
    Envy green is not a color well worn. Might want to quit while you're ahead

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mw1982115 View Post
    Thanks soooooooo much guys! You been extremely helpful! I just got a call from the shop and was given the reference number. I tried to call the CFO in Alberta but no success. Guess I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks again to you all and happy Easter!
    Give them the reference number when you call and request that they email you the transfer notice once it's complete. Print it out once received. The transfer notice allows you to take possession of the restricted firearm from the store and acts as a temporary registration of sorts (however, you will need the actual registration certificate in order to take your new firearm to a range - this arrives way later by snail mail). Now to transport it home, you will need an ATT. Since you have purchased your first restricted, you are being issued a new PAL card that lists your special conditions which includes your ATT with it (see attached paper).

Now, this is where it gets a bit iffy. Some people say you must wait for the new card and condition paper, while others say you don't. Personally, I was told by my provincial chief firearms office that the new conditions were added "electronically" to my PAL and that I did not need to wait for the new card to pick up and transport my restricted to storage. I advise you to inquire yourself when you call about the transfer.

Once you've got your first, the rest are a piece of cake. Typically the process will go something like this:

1. Purchase firearm from store.
    2. Store calls and initiates transfer.
    3. Call and request transfer notice be emailed.
    4. Print out transfer notice once received.
    5. Pick up firearm and transport home!

If you're lucky, whole process can take 24 hours.
    Last edited by btabin; 04-19-2017 at 02:04 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kidcom View Post
    Talk about wrong info. When you purchase restricted firearm(s) from a dealer they will initiate the transfer with the CFO. Once they receive a copy of your Transfer Notification (Buyer), They will inform you and then you can pick it up. Under the new Amendment to the Firearms Act Bill C-42, you no longer need a STATT in order to pick up your new firearm(s) from the dealer as it's now part of your RPAL. One thing that I do with ALL transactions with dealers is request the RCMP/CFO reference number they receive when they initiate the transfer. I then contact the CFO give them the reference number and ask them to email to me my Transfer Notification (Buyer) when the transfer is approved. I usually get it before the dealer does.
    True - Except before the first purchase of a restricted your RPAL only has Standard Conditions - it does not have the Special Condition allowing you to pick up a gun from the dealer without a STATT.
    You get the new Conditions sheet with the Special Conditions applied with the new RPAL card they send you (with your RPAL number extension now .0002). i.e your first card was 12345678.0001 - your new one is 12345678.0002

As in the post above - once they have done the first transfer the new Special Conditions are electronically attached to your RPAL, but what is the legality of not having that paper with you when you pick up the gun. Who the ##### knows.....

Aren't our rules great....think of the children !!!!
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

Quote Originally Posted by kidcom View Post
    Lol,,,talk about wrong info!
    If this is his first restricted,,, how could the conditions be on his existing Rpal card?
    They will mail you a new Rpal card with conditions attached once your handgun is transferred to you
    Last edited by edgy; 04-19-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

Hi guys, I just contacted the CFO again and they told me it will be another 5 days before they can approve everything and send me the transfer notification by Email.

Is this normal for first-time restricted firearm buyer like me?
    Only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a BIGGER gun

Quote Originally Posted by rayzorloo View Post
    Congrats! The above responses are what I would've said as well...I will say welcome to the addiction and congrats again on your first of many.
    Thanks rayzorloo!

Quote Originally Posted by NickVR View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase and great choice!
    Thanks Nick!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mw1982115 View Post
    Hi guys, I just contacted the CFO again and they told me it will be another 5 days before they can approve everything and send me the transfer notification by Email.

Is this normal for first-time restricted firearm buyer like me?
    Do you have your range membership on file with the CFP? For my first transfer, once I got my range membership on file, it took less than 24 hours from when the transfer was initiated. Second transfer was also under 24 hours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast