Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just Bought my first handgun and some questions I wanna ask

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mw1982115 View Post
    Hi guys, I just contacted the CFO again and they told me it will be another 5 days before they can approve everything and send me the transfer notification by Email.

Is this normal for first-time restricted firearm buyer like me?
    Not unheard of, as long as there is some kind of waiting involved, the authorities feel useful. Sometimes it goes relatively fast, other times not so much. Welcome to the world of bureaucrats.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

BANNED
    Don't feel bad. My last private sale - the transfer took 6 weeks here in Ontario.

Cannon

Quote Originally Posted by btabin View Post
    Do you have your range membership on file with the CFP? For my first transfer, once I got my range membership on file, it took less than 24 hours from when the transfer was initiated. Second transfer was also under 24 hours.
    Yep, I sent them a photo of my membership card and they received it so I assume it is on file.
    Only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a BIGGER gun

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybarry View Post
    Not unheard of, as long as there is some kind of waiting involved, the authorities feel useful. Sometimes it goes relatively fast, other times not so much. Welcome to the world of bureaucrats.
    I see, thanks! Guess I will just find something else to do before it comes

Got the G17 last Friday, been playing with it for the last two days and just couldnt stop, so much fun :P

Quote Originally Posted by mw1982115 View Post
    Hi guys, I just contacted the CFO again and they told me it will be another 5 days before they can approve everything and send me the transfer notification by Email.

Is this normal for first-time restricted firearm buyer like me?
    Your first one always takes the longest. My first one took 5-7 days, most recent one 24 hrs. And for sure go the email route, they'll mail you paper copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    True - Except before the first purchase of a restricted your RPAL only has Standard Conditions - it does not have the Special Condition allowing you to pick up a gun from the dealer without a STATT.
    You get the new Conditions sheet with the Special Conditions applied with the new RPAL card they send you (with your RPAL number extension now .0002). i.e your first card was 12345678.0001 - your new one is 12345678.0002

As in the post above - once they have done the first transfer the new Special Conditions are electronically attached to your RPAL, but what is the legality of not having that paper with you when you pick up the gun. Who the ##### knows.....

Aren't our rules great....think of the children !!!!
    Strange, my RPAL still says .0001 and I have bought many hand guns. Two in the last week even. Been buying for years and never changed. Hmmmmmmm?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeater40 View Post
    Strange, my RPAL still says .0001 and I have bought many hand guns. Two in the last week even. Been buying for years and never changed. Hmmmmmmm?
    Maybe a BC thing ? Anyone I know here was issued a new RPAL after their first restricted purchase (this is within the last couple of years).
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

I just got a call from Gone Fishin' in Nanaimo saying the CFO has approved the transfer of the pistol I bought (they applied Saturday and got approval today (Tuesday)). I own another pistol already but got that privately. The store told me that they will give me their Seller's Copy of the CFO approved transfer and that is enough for me to take legally it home and that I don't need to call the CFO for an ATT. The store also said that without me doing anything further the CFO will mail me the Buyer's copy of the above and shortly thereafter I should automatically get the registration certificate for the pistol whereupon the standard conditions on my RPAL apply and I can take it to the range. Just what they told me ...

Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    Your store would have or should have initiated the transfer when you bought your gun ( unless it was a weekend then they should do it on the first working day) If you are as anxious to know as I think you should be, then call the shop to confirm the Transfer has been initiated. Depending on where you are provincially, this can take 1-X days. Ontario traditionally is the slowest.
    You should have given all your info to the store at time of purchase already. Again, depending on which Province you're in, a hang up to your Transfer is whether you already have an approved range membership. The store would have asked this question and requested your membership number.

A store Transfer doesn't require you confirm the Transfer. A private sale does.

The store should contact you when the Transfer arrives, at which point you call the CFO to request a STATT to pick up your gun. This only allows you to bring the gun home. You will then fondle and strip the gun to learn all you can about it until your Registration certificate arrives ( about 10 days later). Then you bring the gun and the ammo you have hoarded to the range and make beautiful loud noises and tiny 9mm holes on paper!
    Enjoy your Glock. It will serve you well!

Ah, I see Skoal beat me to it!!

Sorry all ... posted this in the wrong forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadog123 View Post
    I just got a call from Gone Fishin' in Nanaimo saying the CFO has approved the transfer of the pistol I bought (they applied Saturday and got approval today (Tuesday)). I own another pistol already but got that privately. The store told me that they will give me their Seller's Copy of the CFO approved transfer and that is enough for me to take legally it home and that I don't need to call the CFO for an ATT. The store also said that without me doing anything further the CFO will mail me the Buyer's copy of the above and shortly thereafter I should automatically get the registration certificate for the pistol whereupon the standard conditions on my RPAL apply and I can take it to the range. Just what they told me ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123