Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought my first handgun and some questions I wanna ask

Just Bought my first handgun and some questions I wanna ask

Hi there, I just purchased my first handgun, a Glock 17 Gen 4 FDE from one of the local shops here in Calgary. Paid the money and filled the forms and walked away with gifts in a bag, quite happy with the additional $75 off during Easter sale, nothing to complain.

So, what now? So I wait for the shop to call me or do I wait for my new PAL and then go to the shop and pick up my gun?

Thanks guys and happy Easter!
    Only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a BIGGER gun

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    You'll wait for the transfer certificate which allows you to legally transport it from the store to the place of storage where it will stay until you get the registration certificate in a week or two after that.

So if you're planning a murderous rampage, you're just gonna hafta wait... And if you're not, like the other 2 million license holders, you're still going to have to wait.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

Congrats on your first. The shop you bought it from will initiate the transfer with the CFO, call the store and get the file number they were given for the transfer. Call the CFO with the transfer number and they will tell you how to proceed, ask them to email you the transfer notification because it is quicker than mailing it to you. I have never picked a gun up in person, always had them shipped, so I can't help you on the pickup, but I would assume the CFO will issue you an ATT to pick it up.
    Good luck!
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

Congrats! The above responses are what I would've said as well...I will say welcome to the addiction and congrats again on your first of many.
    I may not be as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was

Don't practise until you get it right...practise until you can't get it wrong

Congratulations on your purchase and great choice!

If bought from a dealer you don't need to call in a refrence number that's for private sales,I have a safe full of restricted and I've never called in a transfer from ones bought from a store.
    The store will usually give you a call when it's time to pick it up and most will make you show them a tatt to pick it up or you could get them to mail it to you but who the hell wants to wait for that.
    Go read that shlock to a soldier or a fireman or a football player or a bloody barber Theyll all knock your "this" right down your throat while sippin a beer and eating chicken wings.Then wipe their wee fingers on your pretty little pouch"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Your store would have or should have initiated the transfer when you bought your gun ( unless it was a weekend then they should do it on the first working day) If you are as anxious to know as I think you should be, then call the shop to confirm the Transfer has been initiated. Depending on where you are provincially, this can take 1-X days. Ontario traditionally is the slowest.
    You should have given all your info to the store at time of purchase already. Again, depending on which Province you're in, a hang up to your Transfer is whether you already have an approved range membership. The store would have asked this question and requested your membership number.

A store Transfer doesn't require you confirm the Transfer. A private sale does.

The store should contact you when the Transfer arrives, at which point you call the CFO to request a STATT to pick up your gun. This only allows you to bring the gun home. You will then fondle and strip the gun to learn all you can about it until your Registration certificate arrives ( about 10 days later). Then you bring the gun and the ammo you have hoarded to the range and make beautiful loud noises and tiny 9mm holes on paper!
    Enjoy your Glock. It will serve you well!

Ah, I see Skoal beat me to it!!
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Regular
    I'm confused by all this. But that isn't so strange any more.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GLS_1956 View Post
    I'm confused by all this. But that isn't so strange any more.
    Welcome to Canada.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

Thanks soooooooo much guys! You been extremely helpful! I just got a call from the shop and was given the reference number. I tried to call the CFO in Alberta but no success. Guess I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks again to you all and happy Easter!
    Only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a BIGGER gun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast