Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint in 6.5 Grendel MAY 11 UPDATE

Rejoice !!! Praise the ATRS !!

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uisge View Post
    Wouldn't 7.62x39 XCR pistol mags work?
    They certainly do. That was some of the testing I did this last weekend. 10 round XCR pistol mags, 0 malfunctions what so ever. Brass is dinged up a little as you'd expect in a semi, and ejected about 18 inches to my right while laying prone. The groups look quite promising with the 123 Amax, but testing so far hasn't been focused on accuracy but more function.

Hornady has a fairly healthy supply of factory 6.5 Grendel ammo, it's all 123grain but they've got SST's, Amax, and ELD-Match and they're one of the only companies who didn't completely abandon the Canadian market during the big ammo shortage a few years back. A reliable supply means a lot to us.

Been waiting forever for the XCR to come out in Grendel, looks like a better choice may be coming. I already have the pistol mags.
    He can't shoot like that with a stock Savage and a Bushnell scope

Interesting for sure, curious to the reason other 223 class deer legal types aren't being tried. (300 blk, 25/45 sharps) looking for the more common ammo types first?
    “A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.” Teddy Roosevelt

Those who beat their swords into plowshares often plow for those who didn't

"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Canuck View Post
    Interesting for sure, curious to the reason other 223 class deer legal types aren't being tried. (300 blk, 25/45 sharps) looking for the more common ammo types first?
    300 blackout has a known rep for guys using subsonic ammo either by mistake or design and having the bullets get stuck in the barrel. The fast follow up shot is usually catastrophic. So I would suggest liability reasons on that one. 25/45 is not what I would consider to be commonly available. I am pretty well travelled when it comes to gun shops and have yet to see much if any of it north of the US border.
    The advantage I see with 6.5 grendel is that it is available pretty commonly and is well proven.
    Small companies have to be cautious as litigation is expensive and can kill a small company in an instant. Living on the wildside is not the best of plans at times.
    Lets just be happy ATRS is continuing to offer alternatives, even if it is slowly.

I would love to hear why some of common, and or wildcats (I can understand) calibers were discarded. Maybe we can learn something.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Quote Originally Posted by no-one special View Post
    300 blackout has a known rep for guys using subsonic ammo either by mistake or design and having the bullets get stuck in the barrel. The fast follow up shot is usually catastrophic. So I would suggest liability reasons on that one. 25/45 is not what I would consider to be commonly available. I am pretty well travelled when it comes to gun shops and have yet to see much if any of it north of the US border.
    The advantage I see with 6.5 grendel is that it is available pretty commonly and is well proven.
    Small companies have to be cautious as litigation is expensive and can kill a small company in an instant. Living on the wildside is not the best of plans at times.
    Lets just be happy ATRS is continuing to offer alternatives, even if it is slowly.
    Since when does subsonic 300BLK get stuck in the barrel? 1050-1100ish fps is muzzle velocity, it will be +/- a few fps depending on barrel length and load but it's still exiting the muzzle. I've run a lot of subsonic 208 grain handloads through four different 300BLK rifles and I've never stuck a bullet, even factory loads fire fine even if they don't always cycle the action on a semi. I would hazzard a guess that the well known rep came from guys who don't know what they're doing reloading and who were not starting supersonic and working down using a chronograph. It's a fine line getting loads subsonic and still have them cycle a semi.
    Try sticking to things you know instead of trusting crap you read on the internet. 300BLK was designed to be a cartridge you could run supersonic or subsonic in an AR without any changes to the rifle other than a barrel swap.

Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    I would love to hear why some of common, and or wildcats (I can understand) calibers were discarded. Maybe we can learn something.
    I'm going to guess it's because a lot of development and testing goes into getting a new caliber to run reliably in the rifle before they can sell it and since there is a very small market for the other cartridges it doesn't make sense to spend the time/money required to make sure it works.
    Last edited by cr5; 04-25-2017 at 11:01 PM.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

Quote Originally Posted by cr5 View Post
    Since when does subsonic 300BLK get stuck in the barrel? 1050fps is muzzle velocity, will be +/- a few fps depending on barrel length but it's still exiting the muzzle. I've run a lot of subsonic 208 grain handloads through four different 300BLK rifles and I've never stuck a bullet, even factory loads fire fine even if they don't always cycle the action on a semi.
    Try sticking to things you know instead of trusting crap you read on the internet. 300BLK was designed to be a cartridge you could run supersonic or subsonic in an AR without any changes to the rifle other than a barrel swap.
    It's known to have people ram a mag full of 300 black into a 223 upper, which causes a setback, especially with subsonics as the case is practically empty, which is very catastrophic.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Before we get a bunch of " I want XYZ caliber" I want to be clear, 6.8 SPC has been explored and discarded as has 7.62x39 and all wildcat chamberings for many reasons.
    The ONLY cartridge we are currently looking into at this time is the 6.5 Grendel.
    I know, I know...But, a .450 Bushmaster would be the cats arse...!

'rifle
    gearin' up for fall...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Let us not get bogged down with facts there, CR5. 300 blackout is a very complicated case; it's got a lot of in's, a lot of out's, and a lot of what-have-you's.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast