Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint in 6.5 Grendel MAY 11 UPDATE

Quote Originally Posted by Uisge View Post
    It's known to have people ram a mag full of 300 black into a 223 upper, which causes a setback, especially with subsonics as the case is practically empty, which is very catastrophic.
    So because there are stupid people out there that do stupid things and blow up a rifle it is the cartridge that is to blame? Sorry, I guess they need to make firearms more idiot proof.

Loading 300BLK into a 223 is 100% user error and therefore not a problem with the cartridge at all.

Quote Originally Posted by yohann160 View Post
    Let us not get bogged down with facts there, CR5. 300 blackout is a very complicated case; it's got a lot of in's, a lot of out's, and a lot of what-have-you's.
    Yes, this is CGN after all, let's not let facts get in the way of anything.
    Guess we better get rid of 308win since someone might try to stuff one into a 7-08 which wouldn't turn out so well.

Some call it complicated, some call it versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by m39a2 View Post
    6.5 Grendel is an outstanding cartridge, it is simply a pleasure to shoot and stays sonic past 1200 yards. It is a great choice for the AR platform and with a non restricted AR type rifle I expect the supply of Grendel ammo and brass should increase substantially in the coming months!

Scott
    I'm going to have to look a little closer at the cartridge, sounds better than I thought it was.

Quote Originally Posted by yohann160 View Post
    What about a 6 pound semi auto that can harvest deer?
    How much does an SKS weigh? Lol.
    Last edited by cr5; 04-26-2017 at 12:45 AM.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Canuck View Post
    Discussed the "Modern Magnum" semi belted mag with the ATRS boys at the Calgary Gunshow. Long story short. Not happening.
    Funny how as soon as a rifle is available to us so many people want it changed. Not sure why so few can just be happy with a product the way it was designed. We have so few quality non restricted semi auto rifles available to us and as soon as there is a new one so many people want it in a different caliber.
    The magnums are a different story since It's a completely different rifle but for rifles like the MV or MH why don't people just do what we've been doing for years with AR's. If you want another caliber swap in a new barrel and see how it goes, plenty of 20 inch barrels available for AR-15's and AR-10's.
    The MH is available in a few great chamberings which should cover just about any desired use out there and for the MV, 223 is an excellent varminting cartridge and with 6.5 grendel on the way pretty much all bases are covered.

It would be pretty cool to have one in 300mag but at the same time what for. If you are a good enough marksman the 308 will take you to 800-1000 yards and if people have actually tried shooting semi auto's accurately at long range they would know that it's not easy to be consistent with a semi so the extra reach available from a magnum would be hard to utilize. Just look at all the complaints from guys saying the 308 is not accurate, most people can't shoot well enough to be consistent at 100yds, what do you think we're going to hear if there was one in 300win.

Quote Originally Posted by cr5 View Post
    Funny how as soon as a rifle is available to us so many people want it changed. Not sure why so few can just be happy with a product the way it was designed. We have so few quality non restricted semi auto rifles available to us and as soon as there is a new one so many people want it in a different caliber.
    The magnums are a different story since It's a completely different rifle but for rifles like the MV or MH why don't people just do what we've been doing for years with AR's. If you want another caliber swap in a new barrel and see how it goes, plenty of 20 inch barrels available for AR-15's and AR-10's.
    The MH is available in a few great chamberings which should cover just about any desired use out there and for the MV, 223 is an excellent varminting cartridge and with 6.5 grendel on the way pretty much all bases are covered.

It would be pretty cool to have one in 300mag but at the same time what for. If you are a good enough marksman the 308 will take you to 800-1000 yards and if people have actually tried shooting semi auto's accurately at long range they would know that it's not easy to be consistent with a semi so the extra reach available from a magnum would be hard to utilize. Just look at all the complaints from guys saying the 308 is not accurate, most people can't shoot well enough to be consistent at 100yds, what do you think we're going to hear if there was one in 300win.
    Agreed. The only other caliber I would have hoped for from the very beginning was a 6.5 Grendel. There really aren't that many options for that caliber in a non restricted gun in Canada. Also, giving us a 6.5 Grendel opens up lots of new options for trying your own chambering.
    CSSA Lifetime member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by ianfroese View Post
    Agreed. The only other caliber I would have hoped for from the very beginning was a 6.5 Grendel. There really aren't that many options for that caliber in a non restricted gun in Canada. Also, giving us a 6.5 Grendel opens up lots of new options for trying your own chambering.
    True, once 6.5 is out all the goofballs that want to run 7.62x39 through their $4000-$5000 precision rifle can swap in a new barrel, void their warranty and watch it shoot groups like a $260 SKS then complain about it.

True, once 6.5 is out all the goofballs that want to run 7.62x39 through their $4000-$5000 precision rifle can swap in a new barrel, void their warranty and watch it shoot groups like a $260 SKS then complain about it.
    Considering that the bolts are also different I can see this happening and owners will scream bloody murder towards ATRS.
    CCFR — CSSA

^ then they should rightly be told to PFO, one would think that would be understood up front. Are people really that dumb if they're buying a premium rifle?
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    Considering that the bolts are also different I can see this happening and owners will scream bloody murder towards ATRS.
    I thought grendel and x39 used same bolt face?

Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    ^ then they should rightly be told to PFO, one would think that would be understood up front. Are people really that dumb if they're buying a premium rifle?
    Short answer, YES.

Rick told me about a guy who came in having problems with his MH, turns out he was using 80/90 weight gear oil and had filled the buffer tube with oil then wondered why it hydraulic'd and wouldn't work any more. That would have been messy with that oil squirting out the buffer vent and anywhere else it could go. A whole new interpretation of the saying run it wet, lol.
    I've never understood why people are so cheap, how much is a bottle of gun oil? $10? Lasts at least a year but still try to use automotive lubricants to save a couple dollars.

Then there are the guys who try to mess with the trigger, end up screwing it up then come in saying it just quit working even though a quick look and it's obvious they f'd it up.

People are lucky ATRS is so understanding, if it was my company and people came in with the crap they do claiming it is manufacturer defect even though it's obvious they messed with it I would be telling them to F off and fix it themselves.

I guess ATRS has three lowers that were ruined by the owners f'ing around with them.
    Last edited by cr5; 04-26-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Wow, I had no idea ... You'd need patients to put up with that
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

I thought grendel and x39 used same bolt.
    They have a different bolt face depth which essentially changes the headspacing of the case in the chamber. They have a .135/136" recess to the face. They will not work with the 7.62x39 barrels that require the standard .125" recess. Also there are other complication between type I and type II bolts. If a builder is not careful it can become dangerous.

They are not interchangeable.
    Last edited by Sqr; 04-30-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    CCFR — CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    What's involved to change from .223 to 6.5 grendal

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast