Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint in 6.5 Grendel MAY 11 UPDATE

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Nothing finalized, but a basic second upper (no bcg) for a modern hunter is 2k. The varmint in 6.5 Grendel however requires an extra bolt face, we're using the jp enhanced ones so the price may be slightly higher, but around that same area I would expect.

We can't seem to obtain just the Fortis barrel nuts... If someone has a secret stash let me know, but it's not the first time I've been asked either :-/ seemed strange to me that for a "switch" handguard they wouldn't sell us the hand guards or barrel nuts separately.
    Strange indeed since they advertise them on there website
    htt p://fortismfg.com/ar15-forits-swtich-556-rail-system-barrel-nut

Quote Originally Posted by OCCAM View Post
    I know it's not the buzz, but 277 wolverine just became public domain.
    Great little cartridge that utilizes 5.56 bolts and magazines so a simple barrel swap is all that is required. I have an AR in this caliber and and feel it could be a good MV addition for deer.

CCFR — CSSA

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rally guy View Post
    Strange indeed since they advertise them on there website
    htt p://fortismfg.com/ar15-forits-swtich-556-rail-system-barrel-nut
    Hmm, it would certainly seem like I got mixed up a bit there, my apologies. Perhaps it was in regards to ordering a handguard without barrel nut, I'll admit that discussion was about two and a half years ago. I'll mention this to the gentleman who takes care of the ordering. Thanks for the link

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Hmm, it would certainly seem like I got mixed up a bit there, my apologies. Perhaps it was in regards to ordering a handguard without barrel nut, I'll admit that discussion was about two and a half years ago. I'll mention this to the gentleman who takes care of the ordering. Thanks for the link
    No problem at all.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Just an update to keep you in the loop as to how our progress is doing with alternate caliber options for our Modern Varmint rifle.
    Many have asked for a larger than 223 caliber in our Modern Varmint rifles to be offered, so that they can be used for hunting of deer and such.

We have been testing our rifle in 6.5 Grendel and so far things are looking very promising. Please do not consider this update a "done deal" as we still want to embark on further testing before we offer up this option, but it looking very promising.

We will be employing the JP bolt assembly in these rifles/uppers, consequently the price will be a little higher on either the rifle or the upper due to the increased cost of the bolt assembly. We will have to revise pricing and once we have it established and will update the options list on our order form once we decide if we will offer this chambering. Only stainless steel barrels will be offered, but in 3 different contours.
    We are working on sourcing mags specific for the 6.5 Grendel caliber.

Before we get a bunch of " I want XYZ caliber" I want to be clear, 6.8 SPC has been explored and discarded as has 7.62x39 and all wildcat chamberings for many reasons.
    The ONLY cartridge we are currently looking into at this time is the 6.5 Grendel.
    How about 450 bushmaster or Remington 30AR? They are not wildcat in the sense that factory ammo for both is IĶ stock at Canadian retailers and proprietary Stanag pattern magazines for either caliber are available.

And with a little work you can have either caliber working off the same bolt
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

The more I read about 6.5 grendel the more impressed I am with it.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

Quote Originally Posted by cr5 View Post
    The more I read about 6.5 grendel the more impressed I am with it.
    If the rifle is setup correctly (at a minimum Mid length, preferred rifle length gas and super bolts) it is a fine cartridge, but it can have it share of problems if a reloaded is not careful. My post is not intended to rain on anybody's parade but to highlight it has its share of issues in an AR platform.

Super bolts.

Last edited by Sqr; 05-01-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    CCFR — CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by ianfroese View Post
    Interesting. I learn something new every day.
    CCFR — CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    If the rifle is setup correctly (at a minimum Mid length, preferred rifle length gas and super bolts) it is a fine cartridge, but it can have it share of problems if a reloaded is not careful. My post is not intended to rain on anybody's parade but to highlight it has its share of issues in an AR platform.

Super bolts.

I think any cartridge can have problems if a reloader isn't careful. This includes not just staying within published load data but also selecting an appropriate powder for a semi auto action.

Luckily with an 18.6+ inch barrel there would be no trouble using a rifle length gas system to smooth things out.

Are the breakages commonplace or are we looking at a couple instances that the internet has turned into a bigger deal than it needs to be?

On any cartridge conversion that requires a larger diameter boltface I'd like to see it done the way the CMMG built their Mutant in 7.62x39 with an oversized bolt and carrier and matching receiver and barrel extension. This would beef things up significantly and also make them even less similar to an AR. Unfortunately it also means a lot more work and time programming the CNC machine and making more parts in house which would increase the price.
    Last edited by cr5; 05-01-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cr5 View Post
    Luckily with an 18.6+ inch barrel there would be no trouble using a rifle length gas system to smooth things out.
    Are the breakages commonplace or are we looking at a couple instances that the internet has turned into a bigger deal than it needs to be?

On any cartridge conversion that requires a larger diameter boltface I'd like to see it done the way the CMMG built their Mutant in 7.62x39 with an oversized bolt and carrier and matching receiver and barrel extension. This would beef things up significantly and also make them even less similar to an AR.
    And significantly more expensive to make everything absolutely unique, and removes alternative sources for parts, etc. We are using the JP enhanced bolts and I've yet to hear even a rumour of anyone having a failure with one.

Second one from the left: