Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint What IF?

Please make 7.62x39 an option and I am in.
    With your 6.5 project..you will already have the bolt covered

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    How much are we talking here?

I'd want one as a plinker for sure.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    If you can get to a $2200 price point you would dominate the Canadian market.
    This, however I am skeptical that price is atainable. That is over 1k off. I am thinking 2-400 savings on the barrel, 1-150 on the buffer, perhaps a $100 on furniture, maybe another 200-300 in labor/efficiency/economy of scale savings?
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

I'm in depending on price. 2200$ -2400$ would be nice but I think I'm asking too much.
    Last edited by Bare; 04-27-2017 at 08:29 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    I myself would be interested in 2 "rack grade" plinkers, keep the Proof as a DMR.

I want one as a 3 gun rifle, the other as a SA-20 "clone", front sight block and all.

Rick, I might have brought this up before, but would it not be possible to have a housing and pins produced for standard 2 pin triggers that drop into the said housing and then into the unchanged lower reciever the same way the Timney does? This would negate the need of expensive almost proprietary triggers, and also give shooters choice.

Edit: sorry for the quadruplle tap. As you can tell I am rather excited about the prospect of this!
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

I'd be interested if you did that to the modern hunter!

I would be definitely interested

Super GunNutz
    I would likely still purchase the MV with the higher level specs but I think options like the one proposed are great. More choice is good! Press on.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Got Juice?'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    We have had a ton of inquiries on our Modern Varmint rifles from folks who would truly like one of these rifles but either are not in a financial situation to afford 1 due to the components used or just want a plain plinker where 1 to 2 MOA accuracy is good enough.

Unfortunately the minuscule market that Canada has and no opportunity to tap into foreign markets precludes any sort of mass production to bring costs down. BUT the quality of the barrel and a few other components could be changed to lower the cost.

What IF? We were to offer a run of Modern Varmints that don't have some of the Gucci parts? If, rather than an expensive matchgrade stainless barrel we were to install mass produced Mil spec type barrels. Delete the JP Silent Captured Buffer System and the higher priced furniture options?
    The downside of dropping the JP buffer is that a conventional buffer and spring would not be retained. Unlike the AR however this is not a real big deal as our rifle comes apart quite differently.

The Timney trigger would still be employed, to alter that feature "could" require another FRT inspection, which frankly given the documents released this week regarding the AR15, we just don't want to go there.

What we are pondering is to offer a basic rifle that has either an A2 stock or a basic collapsible stock, very basic free float tube type hand guard, mil spec type barrel 20" long and standard AR style buffer and spring. This would save several hundred dollars and could get these rifles in the same price range or less than an XCR or Tavor but with a better trigger and way more aftermarket adaptability.

Thoughts????
    If you were to put a price on the board, I am sure it would generate some interest for sure.

I would kill for one in .204 Ruger.
    Envy green is not a color well worn. Might want to quit while you're ahead

take my money. I want a bare bones one so I can pick my own handguard and stock.