PAL and Divorce

ae92gts

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello CGN world! I'm really hoping some of you would be able to help me out.

First off, I have searched the forum and Google for answers before creating this thread, so if this is a repost, please direct me in the right direction and close this thread.

I've finally got around to completing my PAL safety courses and am currently working on the application process. I am also currently going through a divorce. There is a section in the application that requires a signature from my ex wife. I've asked her if she would be willing to sign, and she refused.

So basically my question is, will I get approved? or am I wasting my time? have any of you gone through similar scenarios? if so what was the outcome? I figured I would apply anyways and hope for the best, but I have a gut feeling my ex will prevent my approval.

Any information is much appreciated, thank you.

i got mine during the same situation they call my ex and ask her a bunch of questions and they determined that she was just being spiteful and disliked guns , and that seeing as she didn't feel that i was a physical threat to her they seen no reason to deny me.

Here is your answer:
Boxes 18 and 19
The signatures of your current or former conjugal partners is not legally required. However, if their signatures is not provided, the Chief Firearms Officer has a duty to notify them of your application for a firearms licence.

Thanks guys! I did see that the signatures weren't required, and that they will have to notify her of my application. My ex is fairly spiteful and is against guns, and I am worried that she will do her best to answer the questions in a way that will give them reason to deny me. I really do hope they will see through her strategy. Either way I will submit that application and hope for the best.

I believe if you've gotten a divorce or suffered a separation in the last 3 years, you will not be granted your PAL.

Also on the application it asks if I have been through a divorce or separation in the last 2 years and if so explain the situation on a separate sheet.

Thanks guys! I did see that the signatures weren't required, and that they will have to notify her of my application. My ex is fairly spiteful and is against guns, and I am worried that she will do her best to answer the questions in a way that will give them reason to deny me. I really do hope they will see through her strategy. Either way I will submit that application and hope for the best.

This is where your other references come into play. Make sure you have solid, dependable people for the CFO's office to talk to.

I believe if you've gotten a divorce or suffered a separation in the last 3 years, you will not be granted your PAL.

That's not necessarily accurate. As long as there's no incidents of domestic violence or threats of violence,rarely are PAL apps denied.

Send an explanation with details with your application as indicated. Police deal with this issue continually. It's nothing new to them. At worst,it may add a week or two to processing.

I've got divorced twice 5 years between.

It was NO ISSUE and neither EX signed my paperwork.

They probably ask that question to determine two things - if they do follow-up on your answer. 1) are your trying to buy a gun to wipe out your EX? and/or 2) are you trying to buy a gun to off yourself because "they left you"?

If they refused a PAL/RPAL simply based on a divorce or domestic break-up or because your EX hated you, half of us wouldn't ever have a PAL or RPAL.

No different then the questions about "have you experienced a job loss", "attempted suicide" (or whatever). Just asking are you "stable or unstable"...

Hey Guys,

Going through or having gone through a separation or divorce is hardly a reason for denying the PAL. What's important is full disclosure. If you try to hide the fact of a separation or divorce, that is what will result in a denial of your license. Think about it, if you get your PAL , and a month later go through a separation, do they confiscate your PAL? of course not.

Hello CGN world! I'm really hoping some of you would be able to help me out.

First off, I have searched the forum and Google for answers before creating this thread, so if this is a repost, please direct me in the right direction and close this thread.

I've finally got around to completing my PAL safety courses and am currently working on the application process. I am also currently going through a divorce. There is a section in the application that requires a signature from my ex wife. I've asked her if she would be willing to sign, and she refused.

So basically my question is, will I get approved? or am I wasting my time? have any of you gone through similar scenarios? if so what was the outcome? I figured I would apply anyways and hope for the best, but I have a gut feeling my ex will prevent my approval.

Any information is much appreciated, thank you.

i cant answer your question but it would be helpful if you posted back your outcome here
if and when you get your license

I got my RPAL while I was going through a divorce. I did not ask my ex for her signature, and I had no problems. I assume they called her, but I have never asked her about it.

Back
Top Bottom