Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys want to see offered for builds?

Expried Business Member

What do you guys want to see offered for builds?

Figgured I would “throw” this out there.....

I am currently sitting on a few IDF kits, the plan is to build them into rifles and offer them for sale.

I also have a “desire” to offer top quality builds that compromise very little in the way of usability and accuracy....

Right now, there are 2 ways to go with this.....

1) Offer a top quality completed build the way I figure is best. The sale price would be the cost of material and parts used plus the standard shop rate for the work preformed.
    2) Offer up a base build (basically an un-stocked rifle), which would then be finished to the customers specs. Basically the customer gets to choose what kind of stock, sights and muzzle treatment.

Next question; what kind of receiver are y’all looking for?

1) Chinese handselect receiver that is dimensionally as close to GI spec as is possible (about 80% of Chinese receivers I see qualify)
    2) Chinese hand select receiver (see #1) that has been blanked, machining marks removed and a custom heelstamp applied
    3) LRB receiver

The cost of the blanking, removal of machining marks, filling the set-screw hole, heel stamping and re-park will add pretty darn close to $500 to the base build cost.

An LRB receiver will run pretty darn close to $1300-$1600 (depending on the receiver model selected)

Realistically, I’m looking a very limited run of 12-15 rifles.

My “ideal” build, would be a #2 receiver, IDF parts kit, refinished IDF Fibreglass stock. The rifle would be re-finished with Cerakote. Final completed price point is looking like $3850 for a medium weight build.

The rifle would likely look pretty close to this, but with Cerakote (this is a LB build I put together the pics were posted in the IDF pics thread).

The first run of rifles (3 rifles are available) will likely be ready to ship out late July early August.

Depending on the response from this little “blurb” the next run of 6 rifles would have an ETA of “fall”. An additional run of 6 may or may-not happen, but if they do earliest it could happen is winter of 2018.

Here are a couple pics of the receivers I have already had done. I guess the big question is whether I send out anymore for custom work....

Your input is appreciated!

John

What kind of accuracy are you expecting with these builds? I am interested for sure.
    "Optimists these days learn English, pessimists learn Chinese, but realists learn how to operate an AK-47."

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNA View Post
    What kind of accuracy are you expecting with these builds? I am interested for sure.
    Now that's a question I figured someone would ask eventually...

To be honest, I'm not sure.... I would be shocked if the General Dynamics Medium weight barrels didn't do at least 1.5" @ 100y. The standard weight barrels should be at least 2.5" capable. Most of the Norks I tune are 2-2.5" capable once I'm done.

These IDF kits were all "sniper" rifles (for lack of a better term) so I expect big things, but until I actually test each rifle I won't know for-sure how good/bad they are... From the feedback I've received from guys who've sent me their kits the IDF builds are shooters!

Heck, I've been busy enough over the last couple months that I haven't done anything but test function of the green rifle pictured in the first post, let alone slap a scope on it to see how it shoots....

John

Super GunNutz
    I'm definitely interested in a collective effort to source receivers and custom stamped receiver would be a nice touch. With the recent USD rise, our LRB option has become even more expensive (my Jan order was $1570 all in for a M25 LRB.)

Regarding stock choice, after receiving my finished Boyd Walnut build, I'm liking the 'old school" look of wood. Are you then Cerakote'ing the metal parts?

@John, are there 'ballistic' advantages to a fibreglass stock over the wood stock? I presume the glass stock is heavier than the walnut?

Build a M21 replica

CGN Regular

Smile

I take it you sprung for 12+ heavy kits? A very smart investment given your business. I remember you wishing you'd had more available capital when the first batch arrived; I missed out on the first shipment myself due purely to sleeping in that morning, and did not let that mistake go uncorrected.

As for your question, an M21 build on an LRB Arms receiver makes sense given they used the same Saco-Lowell medium weight barrels. That would get your best barrel and kit and loads of detailed pictures for us to drool over. I'd also create a more budget friendly build using an unmodified hand selected Norinco receiver without the Norinco logo. None of these builds off of heavy kits are bargain options given the inherent value of these parts - that's what your all Norinco builds are for. They would pay crazy money for these in the U.S.

Have you thought about grading your parts kits and pricing them accordingly? I'd pay a premium for a barrel with less wear and a parts kit with better parts such as a TRW operating rod.

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tripoli99 View Post
    I'm definitely interested in a collective effort to source receivers and custom stamped receiver would be a nice touch. With the recent USD rise, our LRB option has become even more expensive (my Jan order was $1570 all in for a M25 LRB.)

Regarding stock choice, after receiving my finished Boyd Walnut build, I'm liking the 'old school" look of wood. Are you then Cerakote'ing the metal parts?

Yes, that was the plan

@John, are there 'ballistic' advantages to a fibreglass stock over the wood stock? I presume the glass stock is heavier than the walnut?
    The glass stock is a touch lighter (even after I beef it up), but it is also slimmer and a bit more "flexy".

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeachboy View Post
    Build a M21 replica
    Iirc the M21 is a Fiberglass stocked scoped rifle with Nm front and a NM rear with a hooded aperature. The XM25 is the same but in a wood stock....

That is definatly do-able.

John

What about a chassis build? I am hoping to avoid the bedding issue with the m14 series.
    "Optimists these days learn English, pessimists learn Chinese, but realists learn how to operate an AK-47."

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNA View Post
    What about a chassis build? I am hoping to avoid the bedding issue with the m14 series.
    What kind of chassis are you thinking of?

A Black Feather is pretty easy to source, a Sage or Troy not so much....

John

Business Member
    Gotta love that sexy looking M14Medic Regina, SK marked receiver! ha ha ha

It's a thing of beauty!

And like I've reinforced at the clinics, "It's a Norinco; you can only make them better..."

Keep up the gorgeous work!

Barney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast