Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Firearm Legal Defence - New Business Member

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-C View Post
    I am just about to renew for the third time next week - CSSA members still get a $10 discount I presume?
    Absolutely. Your discount code should auto fill from last year when you use the renewal link in your renewal email.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GundamZero View Post
    Do you guys have Ed Burlew or Solomon Friedman on your panel?
    Yes, both are on the panel of lawyers.
    Last edited by Capri Insurance; 05-21-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capri Insurance View Post
    Both linked stories are actual claims handled through our program. The info we have on our website about annonymous claim was written by the insurer and then approved by the client who went through the claim before it was posted. Due to privacy the client asked us not to use his real name. The other claim has the clients name and picture. I will ask Alexi if he wants to comment on it. I welcome you to get the claims verified if you're concerned with their validity.
    Even if true, cases where charges were dropped before the case progressed very far into the system (i.e. the cheapest and simplest instances) aren't quite the examples of coverage that I am wondering about. I am specifically interested in cases where an accused was charged and prosecuted, and the case progressed through verdict, and the accused received the benefit of insurance coverage throughout. That case would be a matter of public record, and possibly even reported via independently verifiable means (e.g. CanLII, Carswell, etc.).
    "There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the frightened, thoughtless search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own ..." - The Twilight Zone

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jericho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CV32 View Post
    Even if true, cases where charges were dropped before the case progressed very far into the system (i.e. the cheapest and simplest instances) aren't quite the examples of coverage that I am wondering about. I am specifically interested in cases where an accused was charged and prosecuted, and the case progressed through verdict, and the accused received the benefit of insurance coverage throughout. That case would be a matter of public record, and possibly even reported via independently verifiable means (e.g. CanLII, Carswell, etc.).
    I too am interested in seeing some examples where the client was defended to the very end.

Quote Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
    Why would anyone want to trust an Insurance Company for anything, but I guess when they are selling your flavour of Kool-aid, your going to drink it up
    I understand you skepticism but you should do a little more research if you want to have a valid opinion.
    This DOES what they say they do. PERIOD
    When the RCMP/Police realizes we ALL have the capacity to fight in court, they will realize they cannot waste their time with these petty charges

On another note..
    What really gets me is how everyone is nickle and dime when it comes to anything to do with firearms
    Be it memberships with the CSSA, NFA and CCFR or firearm Legal Defense
    It takes money to get things going.
    Everyone thinks ME ME ME

Well WHAT have YOU done for your fellow gun owner?
    Let me guess NOTHING

Its a numbers game fellas
    stop being a cheap skate and get involved
    RESEARCH and GET INVOLVED

WHY do you think we always get the $hit end of the stick?
    let me remind you

ME ME ME What do I get, what's in it for me
    keep saying that till we all lose our guns

$85 a year for such a service.
    If you don't see the value in that.... Enjoy your trial and thanks for NOT helping others
    Last edited by majormalfunction; 05-21-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CV32 View Post
    Fortunately, we take this seriously and only bring good lawyers onto the panel. The ones that can get Charges dropped before going to court. We hope, for our clients sake, that they never have to go through a full trial. However, if/when they do, I will be sure to post the claim details here for everyone to read. In the mean time, we will do our best to ensure our clients don't face the inside of a court room.

Quote Originally Posted by Capri Insurance View Post
    Fortunately, we take this seriously and only bring good lawyers onto the panel. The ones that can get Charges dropped before going to court. We hope, for our clients sake, that they never have to go through a full trial. However, if/when they do, I will be sure to post the claim details here for everyone to read. In the mean time, we will do our best to ensure our clients don't face the inside of a court room.
    All good legal counsel will endeavour to keep their clients out of the uncertain battlefield that is the courtroom. In the criminal context, this is especially difficult, because the Crown holds all of the power to require that you be there, at least initially. Few criminal cases will result in charges being dropped before an accused makes a first appearance. Most that are dropped (and there aren't many, in the overall scheme of things) happen later.

Your comment that the only good lawyers are the ones that keep their clients out of court is silly. Both Ed Burlew and Solomon Friedman, who you have named as being on the panel, have had to take clients through the trial process. That doesn't make them bad lawyers.

The only conclusion that I can safely draw from your comments - and I remain completely open to hearing more, as that was the point of the inquiry - is that the insurance coverage has been applied quite rarely, and never through an entire trial process. Which is fine - everything must start somewhere - but it does leave some issues unanswered.
    Last edited by CV32; 05-22-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    "There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the frightened, thoughtless search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own ..." - The Twilight Zone

I think the biggest thing is knowing you don't have to plead guilty because you cannot afford a trial. For a couple of measly dollars you at the very least have something.

The crown will try to hold their "bluff" all the way to the end and make your life a living hell. They do say the process IS the punishment
    If the crown loses in court and precedent is set, it would work against them. So unless they have a open and shut case chances are they will not.
    Depending on how bad of a case it is

Remember one thing is that 99.9% of firearms owners are good law abiding people and as long as you kept your mouth shut and haven't given them more "evidence" to go on, chances are good the charges would be dropped.

The key in having insurance is to deter them from harassing gun owners IMO

my 2 cents

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    I remember reading quite awhile back that when the Crown found out the accused had insurance to cover costs, the charges were dropped....

Not a specific case but fellow board members making statements.
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    I remember reading quite awhile back that when the Crown found out the accused had insurance to cover costs, the charges were dropped....

Not a specific case but fellow board members making statements.
    They count on you caving because of money and stress.
    Insurance says OK BRING IT ON

Disgusting System (Remember its a Legal NOT Justice system we have)