Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearm Legal Defence - New Business Member

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by win94luver View Post
    Would the policy coverage be sufficient if the crown appealed and the case went to scoc?
    Likely not.
    Doesn't take long for lawyers fees to eat up $150K in a fight through 3 levels of courts.
    And if it was something major the crown would fight it all the way.
    So essentially we're talking about minor cases that would likely be abandoned by either party after a judgement in provincial court.
    That's where the criminal justice system has most gun owners beat. They can out wait us and out spend us.
    You have to keep in mind that the insurance company will have preferred rates with the law firms so that would help stretch your dollar. I have had just as many people say " who needs $150,000? " as people who have said " Is $150,000 enough?" At this time the limit is $150,000 which is up from the original $100,000. We were able to increase it at no cost two years ago. We will endeavor to make higher limits available to those that want them as we move forward.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpirate View Post
    Just a question,
    Have you ever had to defend a firearm owner who has used a firearm in Self Defense?
    We have not yet had a client who has been charged in a self defence situation. For a good example of a situation where the policy would have responded, read the story of Ian Thomson. That is a perfect example of where the policy would respond.

GunNutz
    So Actually, I'm to put my freedom in the hands of a program that had zero experience in self defense with a firearm.
    Let me rephrase the question then, because really it make no difference.
    Do you have any experience with self Defense cases were your client used force to stop a threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Capri Insurance View Post
    Sorry about that General, the policy covers members for $150,000 per claim with an annual max of $500,000.
    Thank you for the information.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So Actually, I'm to put my freedom in the hands of a program that had zero experience in self defense with a firearm.
    Let me rephrase the question then, because really it make no difference.
    Do you have any experience with self Defense cases were your client used force to stop a threat?
    Capri is the insurance company, not the lawyer so their experience with a specific scenario shouldn't be an issue. As long as they retain the appropriate lawyer with the appropriate experience then that is what counts.

GunNutz
    What counts is experience.
    That's simple logic.
    I'm not signing up for a company that offers just any lawyer to defend me.

Can they name their Star Lawyer?

Expired Business Member
    What counts is experience.
    That's simple logic.
    I'm not signing up for a company that offers just any lawyer to defend me.

Can they name their Star Lawyer?
    The insurance company that underwrites our program is STERLON and they have a panel of lawyers in every province. You should be able to contact STERLON directly and asked for the names of criminal defence lawyers they use in your province. As a side note, STERLON was the first company to bring legal defence insurance to Canada and has been doing so since 1990. Also keep in mind, that if you wish to use a lawyer that is not on the panel you can and the program would still pay the cost to a max of $350/hour. You would still get the policy limit of $150,000.

Can you pick your own lawyer?
    I'd want Burlew or Friedman going to bat for me not some on the cheap flunkie with the ink still wet on his law degree.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    Remember that the insurance doesn't cover stupidity.
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    Remember that the insurance doesn't cover stupidity.
    What if the stupidity is what they did, and not you?