Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Firearm Legal Defence - New Business Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer LuckyLuc82's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capri Insurance View Post
    Sorry if I created any confusion. The point of the CCFR policy was brought up and so I was only showing differences between the two.

1- We give a $10 discount to CCFR members. All you need to do is ask and I can provide a discount code. That makes the policy $85 and our policy comes with the legal advice automatically included. No need to purchase it at an additional premium. This is also a discount at purchase, not a reimbursement after you buy.

2- With regards to the limits please click this link to the CCFR website and note at the bottom of the documents that it says $100,000 https://firearmrights.ca/docs/dasenglish.pdf

3- With regard to the membership per household. Here is the wording from the CCFR page https://firearmrights.ca/docs/ccfrdaslegalen.pdf Note page 6 under the definition of you,your it says the name on the deceleration page is the insured person. I would ensure that your insurance deceleration page says all of your families names on it before you assume your all covered.

4- With regards to the 10/22 issue. Here is the exclusion from our wording you're talking about any claim relating to a review or dispute regarding the lawfulness of any decision or action of any federal or provincial governmental or quasi – governmental body, or any other local or public authority, other than in relation to an accepted claim in respect of any event insured under this policy. notice the last part that says other then in relation to an accepted claim in respect of any event insured under this policy. We also confirmed this fact with our underwriters before we moved our program away from DAS and to the new underwriter.

5- I did not make any mention of the $500,000 max limit as both ours and the CCFR have it. Each one of our clients has $150,000 per claim to a max of $500,000 in one year. This is not a shared limit between our policy holders.

6- Capri Insurance is licensed in ever province in Canada except Quebec.

7- I made no mention that we're the be all end all, I simply stated some differences between the two programs

8- I don't recall mentioning Ian Thomson in any of my posts. We have his story on our website at his request. His example is a perfect example of where an FLD policy could respond. You can also click here to see Ian's testimonial on our website about how he encourages people to buy a policy because of what happened to him https://firearmlegaldefence.com/testimonials/

9- It does appear that you're correct about not having to be a member. This is a new feature that I was not aware of. I have removed that point from my original post.

Again, I apologize if I created any confusion as I was simply trying to show people a few of the differences. At the end of the day people can purchase a policy from whomever they wish.
    You did clarify a few things, but you're still twisting some facts.

CCFR has recently upgraded their limit to $150,000. I guess the website needs to be updated.... Their price of $92 also includes legal advice.... Any individual can purchase legal advice ONLY for $16 tax in. The legal advice only option gives the individual an additional perk of being able to ask ANY legal question, not just firearms related.

Here is what was posted in the CCFR group as a comparison between your offerings and DAS

Price wise, you're still, $95 before any discount? $85 plus applicable tax, correct?

When I asked what provinces you're licensed in, I meant, you, not your brokerage. You may not be aware of this, but quoting businesses in provinces "you" aren't licensed in can land you in some hot water.
    Last edited by LuckyLuc82; 05-10-2017 at 09:37 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    Zach; what/how would things work if you have 2 separate policies?

One with Capri. And another with company X?
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

We're just working on getting the wording translated into French. Should be available again shortly.
    If your brokerage isn't licensed in Quebec as you stated, why would you lead FAQMAT to believe he can buy this from you? He is a resident of Quebec.... Not trying to give you a hard time, but you seem to be pushing things pretty hard, and keep twisting things.

I would also like for you to elaborate on how you would defend someone who's charged with possession of an unpinned 10/22 magazine? Will you defend them all the way to the supreme court?

You must know that possession of a 10/22 magazine isn't a standalone charge right? As per the RCMP memo an individual will be asked for pin or destroy the magazine first, are you saying that once the individual refuses to pin or destroy the magazine you will defend them?

I apologize if it seems like I'm giving you a hard time, I'm just seeing some hard selling tactics from you and red flags are going off. If you want gunny business don't treat us like cash cows, don't twist pricing, embellish coverages, and distort your competitors. I think it's very healthy to have two competing products, hopefully gun owners will see a price war and the cost of this coverage will eventually drop down to where it should be.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuc82 View Post
    If your brokerage isn't licensed in Quebec as you stated, why would you lead FAQMAT to believe he can buy this from you? He is a resident of Quebec.... Not trying to give you a hard time, but you seem to be pushing things pretty hard, and keep twisting things.

I would also like for you to elaborate on how you would defend someone who's charged with possession of an unpinned 10/22 magazine? Will you defend them all the way to the supreme court?

You must know that possession of a 10/22 magazine isn't a standalone charge right? As per the RCMP memo an individual will be asked for pin or destroy the magazine first, are you saying that once the individual refuses to pin or destroy the magazine you will defend them?

I apologize if it seems like I'm giving you a hard time, I'm just seeing some hard selling tactics from you and red flags are going off. If you want gunny business don't treat us like cash cows, don't twist pricing, embellish coverages, and distort your competitors. I think it's very healthy to have two competing products, hopefully gun owners will see a price war and the cost of this coverage will eventually drop down to where it should be.
    If you refer back to my original post about Quebec I mentioned that I could not write business insurance in Quebec. If you refer to our website you will see that you need to contact our broker partner La Tourquiose if you wish to purchase a firearm legal defence policy in Quebec. Their contact info is on the website.

As I'm not a lawyer I cannot explain to you exactly how you're defended in the case of the 10/22 issue. I recommend calling the Legal Advice Hotline and speaking with one of the panel lawyers as I believe they would best explain it to you.

Again, all the points I made were taken directly from the CCFR website so I do find it disappointing that you think I've embellished or twisted anything. Obviously I would prefer people purchase a policy through our program and I feel I've been honest in my details. At the end of the day I think it's important that all gunnies have a policy, whether it be through us or our competitors. If law enforcement knows that firearms owners are protected and can defence against frivolous charges I believe you will start to see a decline in frivolous charges. Right now so many gun owners can't afford to protect themselves so they either settle or have to rely on a public defender. With legal defence they don't have to settle and can rely on an expert criminal defence lawyer.
    Last edited by Capri Insurance; 05-10-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Expired Business Member
    You did clarify a few things, but you're still twisting some facts.

CCFR has recently upgraded their limit to $150,000. I guess the website needs to be updated.... Their price of $92 also includes legal advice.... Any individual can purchase legal advice ONLY for $16 tax in. The legal advice only option gives the individual an additional perk of being able to ask ANY legal question, not just firearms related.

Here is what was posted in the CCFR group as a comparison between your offerings and DAS

Price wise, you're still, $95 before any discount? $85 plus applicable tax, correct?

When I asked what provinces you're licensed in, I meant, you, not your brokerage. You may not be aware of this, but quoting businesses in provinces "you" aren't licensed in can land you in some hot water.

1 - If you refer to our website you will see that the legal advice line is available 24/7.
    2 - This is correct. You have to report a claim within the policy period
    3&4 - The coverages are the same. FLD came up with the idea and the brought the idea to DAS. So in theory you could call the old DAS wording our old wording as we helped develop it back in 2012.
    5 - This says that it's still $100,000? I assume that this is also an old comparison as you mentioned the limit has been increased. The individual who made this is incorrect. Every FLD policy holder has their own limits. You have $150,000 per claim with an annual max of $500,000.
    6 - The hourly limit set out in our policy is for if you want to choose your own lawyer, one that isn't on the panel. If you use a panel lawyer their costs are covered automatically as they will have entered into an agreement with STERLON ahead of time.
    7 - I believe this is correct
    8 - I believe this is also correct

Your correct, the full price is $95 and being a member of any of Canada's firearms associations or other clubs gives you a $10 discount. Taxes are only applied in the provinces that require it. Which I believe are MB, ON and as of July 1st SK. Our program is an online program, so clients go to our website and purchase it themselves. I don't personally sell it and the provinces in which I am not personally licensed are handled by our broker partner, not myself.

Please don't hesitate to give me a call at my office if you would like to discuss further 250.869.3987
    Last edited by Capri Insurance; 05-10-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Adding phone number

CGN Regular
    Hey Zach,

I bought your service last year. Now that I see how clear, full and consistent your responses have been, not to mention how they lack "attitude" as well, I'm very glad I did. Welcome to CGN.

You forgot NL, and QC.

Again, not trying to give you a hard time, but if misinformation blows up in your face it not only makes you look bad, but it makes insurance companies, brokers, and future products as a whole look bad. There's no need for half-truths, and misleadings. Lets be honest, your claims of defending the unpinned 10/22 magazines are pretty much smoke and mirrors. Why give people the illusion of coverage, when being honest prevents them from being upset afterwards. You have a decent product so does the CCFR, is either perfect, no... Will both help defend you against charges stemming from: storage, transportation, use, and display of firearms, yes. Be proud of what your product does, don't make it something it's not. If anyone wants this to succeed its gun owners, turning on your competitors, when you're essentially peddling the same wares isn't healthy. Focus on the positives man, you're not going to get rich of this, and if that's your goal, you will be sorely disappointed.

I think it would be a good idea if we talked. I might just take you up on that.

Expired Business Member
    You forgot NL, and QC.

Again, not trying to give you a hard time, but if misinformation blows up in your face it not only makes you look bad, but it makes insurance companies, brokers, and future products as a whole look bad. There's no need for half-truths, and misleadings. Lets be honest, your claims of defending the unpinned 10/22 magazines are pretty much smoke and mirrors. Why give people the illusion of coverage, when being honest prevents them from being upset afterwards. You have a decent product so does the CCFR, is either perfect, no... Will both help defend you against charges stemming from: storage, transportation, use, and display of firearms, yes. Be proud of what your product does, don't make it something it's not. If anyone wants this to succeed its gun owners, turning on your competitors, when you're essentially peddling the same wares isn't healthy. Focus on the positives man, you're not going to get rich of this, and if that's your goal, you will be sorely disappointed.

I think it would be a good idea if we talked. I might just take you up on that.
    Yes, our system automatically applies the tax so I don't always remember all of them. I would love to chat as forum conversations can be tough and i find phone conversation to be so much more effective. I would also be more then happy to follow it up with an email so that you have the conversation in writing. I look forward to speaking with you.

Sorry but my stubbornness won't allow you to have the last word haha. We had conversations at length about the magazine issue. We sent our underwriter the police bulletin and they reviewed it and the act. If you were charged with possession of a prohibited device, our policy would respond. We also had the conversation at length with DAS before we moved away from them and they were very clear that they wouldn't cover someone in this situation.

Again, I do very much look forward to your call.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
    Hey Zach,

I bought your service last year. Now that I see how clear, full and consistent your responses have been, not to mention how they lack "attitude" as well, I'm very glad I did. Welcome to CGN.
    Thank you very much and we're glad to have you as a client. I appreciate the kind word as forum chat can get out of hand pretty quick. The open dialogue it great for everyone and I appreciate LuckyLuc82 voicing their concerns. I believe after our phone call we will be good friends haha and perhaps we might get a new client.

Yes, our system automatically applies the tax so I don't always remember all of them. I would love to chat as forum conversations can be tough and i find phone conversation to be so much more effective. I would also be more then happy to follow it up with an email so that you have the conversation in writing. I look forward to speaking with you.

Sorry but my stubbornness won't allow you to have the last word haha. We had conversations at length about the magazine issue. We sent our underwriter the police bulletin and they reviewed it and the act. If you were charged with possession of a prohibited device, our policy would respond. We also had the conversation at length with DAS before we moved away from them and they were very clear that they wouldn't cover someone in this situation.

Again, I do very much look forward to your call.
    Were very much the same in wanting to have the last word. The part that I'm still unclear on is how STERLON would defend the 10/22 mag issue. If the customer is given an option to pin or destroy, and 30 days to do so, would your coverage not just advise the defendant to comply? Pinning/destroying it is a quick easy, and cheap fix, going the distance would cost the insurer $100,000's. Any reasonable person and lawyer would see this as a non-starter. Plus going by the wordings, once you refuse to pin/destroy, aren't you committing a wilful act and therefore voiding coverage? We can have this conversation on the phone, but how would that help the community? Lets be transparent here, DAS legal saw this as an issue and made it clear, this isn't a hill they want to die on. Quite frankly, I can't see anyone getting charged with just simple possession of the 10/22 magazine, even the RCMP bulletin says no one is to be charged. I'd like to also add that if someone is charged with a slew of charges stemming from: storage, display, use, and transportation of a firearm, and the authorities throw in possession of a prohibited mag even DAS would defend the insured against all charges, so this would be a mute point. I'm sorry if I come off combative, it's not my intention.

Once again, I just want to say, you seem like a nice guy, I just know underwriters and lawyers.......... It wouldn't be the first time a broker and U/W misunderstood each other.

I Promise, now you will get the last word, and I'll call you to continue this, who knows maybe we will be good friends after!
    Last edited by LuckyLuc82; 05-10-2017 at 02:53 PM.