Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: False Charges Dropped - Firearm Legal Defence

Quote Originally Posted by Wester View Post
    My understanding is, "pain and suffering" actually has to be pain and suffering in some sort of physical way in order to be accepted as a legitimate charge. Such as a dog bite, lasting injury for an assault to car accident etc. It is not awarded for mental 'pain and suffering'.

Where the defendant could have traction is punitive damages.
    Nope. "Pain and suffering" is not limited to physical pain. For example, post-traumatic stress symptoms are fully compensable under tort.
    The head of damages is actually "pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life". The definition is quite broad in scope.
    Punitive and aggravated damages are different but related types of damages. They are only awarded for malicious and particularly egregious conduct.
    Last edited by bcbravo2zero; 05-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbravo2zero View Post
    Nope. Pain and suffering is not limited to physical pain. For example, post-traumatic stress symptoms are fully compensable under tort.
    The head of damages is actually "pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life". The definition is quite broad in scope.
    Punitive and aggravated damages are different but related types of damages. They are only awarded for malicious and particularly egregious conduct.
    Considering the regulatory and criminal climate in which a firearms' business must operate, any false claims could be argued as deliberately intended to undermine legal commerce. How is this different from a frivolous lawsuit that bad gasoline spoiled a high performance car, or that gravity + skis + prepared slope = downhill skiing injury?
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

Quote Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
    Considering the regulatory and criminal climate in which a firearms' business must operate, any false claims could be argued as deliberately intended to undermine legal commerce. How is this different from a frivolous lawsuit that bad gasoline spoiled a high performance car, or that gravity + skis + prepared slope = downhill skiing injury?
    I'm really not quite sure what you mean.
    But with "gravity + skis + slope = injury" there is no tort or intentional tort set out. This is fundamentally different than the actions of the false accuser here.
    I'm not sure if that responds to your comment, but hey, I don't have the space to teach an "intro to torts and civil damages" course here...
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

CGN Regular
    I have had this insurance since 2014

Quote Originally Posted by keitha View Post
    Sorry, but I have to comment: I'm a Flight of the Conchords fan too.
    Well done.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by keitha View Post
    My trucks green.

BANNED
    That was sure a convenient story neatly wrapped up in half a page. Nice glad it turned out for the best, if only real life was that easy. If only someone made a button.

CGN Regular
    Guys here's an example.

I was actually sniffing around and thinking about purchasing this insurance but I hadn't. Then, as I had been struggling to get my property back from my ex I started a civil suit against her. She went to the police and said she feared for her safety even though there are no grounds or reasons to justify why she felt that way. Zero threats, violence or even rude remarks. However, I was arrested and charged. My firearms and ammunition was seized and I was released on conditions not to posses firearms. As you can imagine, this is devastating and surreal. However, I'm also a police officer. She got me right where she knew it would hurt most and this ordeal has had tremendous implications on my career. So far I'm over $5,000 into this with no foreseeable end in sight.

Don't be like me. Pull the trigger so to speak and get this insurance.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
    That was sure a convenient story neatly wrapped up in half a page. Nice glad it turned out for the best, if only real life was that easy. If only someone made a button.
    I know the client who went through this personally as I take care of his commercial insurance as well. Trust me, there was nothing convinient about his experience. The end result was positive but it was still an extremely stressful time for him and there was nothing easy about it.
    Last edited by Capri Insurance; 05-13-2017 at 12:06 AM.

It's called public mischief , and is a criminal code charge. Accuser should have been charged with this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast