Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Issue with PSA AR15 in 7.62x39

Ejector issue

Check that there is a rubber doughnut (o ring)over the ejector spring, this will increase tension and hopefully solve your issue

Quote Originally Posted by djmagnum View Post
    Hi
    I am posting today because I am looking for some help from the community. I bought a PSA 7.62x39 10.5 complete upper, with BCG from IRG and I am having some issues with it: it gives me FTE (Fail To Eject) issues in a very inconsistent manner. It can be once every 5 rounds, can be OK for 15-20 rounds and then fail 2-3 rounds in a row.

The symptoms are that the spent shell casing exits the chamber completely (no Fail To Extract), but not the upper receiver and does not exit by the ejection port. It does not ends in a stovepipe: it just get rammed back with a new round from the mag and jams the weapon because a double feed.

I have tried running a heavier buffer (H2) with same result. I also replaced the original (PSA) extractor spring with a much stiffer Wolff one: same result. Bolt and rifle was completely cleaned and I run it well oiled with CLP.

I did some tests today : I tried several different mags (XCR-L pistol from Questar) with several different loadout (1-2-3.. rounds) : no difference. I also tried brass American Eagle ammo versus Barnaul steel case : no change.

Last test I did was to load a round, then drop the mag and fire: sometimes the empty shell case would get re-loaded in the chamber!! If I tried the same thing, but kept the empty mag inserted (last round in chamber type of thing), the BCG would remain in the back and the empty case would just sit in the upper receiver, over the mag ...

I am suspecting a problem from the extractor and/or the ejector but any input would be appreciated.

Hi There

There was originally a rubber o-ring and I had the FTE issue. I replaced the original spring and o-ring with a Wolff extractor spring but no luck: same issue.

I tried a standard, H1, H2 and H3 buffer with no difference: the issue remains te same. The whole upper is factory built by PSA with a standard-looking AR gas block/front sight; I do not know the size of the gas port though.

Chamber is clean and diffrent ammo will not change anything ...even with brass, American Eagle and Remington. I did not fire as much brass ammo (~40) as I did steel (Barnaul and Czech surplus) but the brass one even had a higher rate of failure.
    Last edited by djmagnum; 05-14-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by armycat View Post
    Why is NEA in the thread title when the upper and BCG are not NEA and you didn't put NEA in your other thread under Black and Green Rifles?
    Corrected this and posted in the Black & Green forum also, thanks for mentioning

Fte

Weird-i had the exact same issue with 300 blk upper. Added an o ring and she'll digest anything you throw at it now. Maybe try putting the o ring back on with new extractor spring? Otherwise it sounds like a warranty issue. The fact that its extracting but not ejecting likely means there is still not enough tension on the extractor. When the bolt rotates it loses contact with the rim of cartridge.

There was originally a rubber o-ring and I had the FTE issue. I replaced the original spring and o-ring with a Wolff extractor spring but no luck: same issue.

I tried a standard, H1, H2 and H3 buffer with no difference: the issue remains te same. The whole upper is factory built by PSA with a standard-looking AR gas block/front sight; I do not know the size of the gas port though.

Chamber is clean and diffrent ammo will not change anything ...even with brass, American Eagle and Remington. I did not fire as much brass ammo (~40) as I did steel (Barnaul and Czech surplus) but the brass one even had a higher rate of failure.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by djmagnum View Post
    Hi There

Chamber is clean and diffrent ammo will not change anything ...even with brass, American Eagle and Remington. I did not fire as much brass ammo (~40) as I did steel (Barnaul and Czech surplus) but the brass one even had a higher rate of failure.

This may be just a semantics thing... But you keep talking extractor, and buffer springs... As others have mentioned, you're describing ejector issues. Perhaps a stronger ejector spring might do the trick. Stupid question: have you tried a thorough teardown and cleaning of the BCG? Might just be sticky factory lube??

CGN Regular
    Hi there,

I had the exact same issue with mine, it was a bad bolt. There was a bad batch of them at some point, irunguns sent it back for me and PSA replaced it and its been perfect since. I have the letter PSA sent me back with the gun, I will see if I can dig it up tonight it had afew more details in it.

I’m having this problem, was there any more information on what the problem was?

Sounds like a sticky ejector pin. Pull out the pin and spring, make sure there are no burs on the pin or in the ejector pocket. Take any off with 1000 grit sandpaper. Clean everything, especially inside the pocket, CLP and reassemble. Use a rod to cycle the pin a bunch of times and make sure it isn't sticking. Try it out back inside the gun.

CGN Regular
    i had the same issues with the same upper i bought from IRG,my last PSA purchase ever,seems like very low grade stuff,i finally just took the thing off ,makes a great door stop. and conversation starter,LOL.

Sounds like your gun is under gassed. If you can manually extract unfired cartridges from your mag, then chances are it isn't the ejector or extractor. You said you put one round in, fired it and the rifle loaded the spent cartridge. Sounds like the bolt isn't getting enough gas too eject the cartridge or go back far enough to engage the hold-open.

I have an NEA that had was overgassed and wan't ejecting properly either. The difference being it would stovepipe too. I ended up putting on an adjustable gasblock. Now it only stops every ten rounds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast