Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nea .22?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I asked a while back and they are no longer being made.

I had a CMMG conversion kit that was lousy. Then I bought a proper CMMG .22 barrel and the part to change the conversion bolt to work with it, and now it's great.

Built that on an NEA upper and my existing NEA lower and the fit is so tight that the pins need mild percussive persuasion both to assemble and take down.
    That is the way I guess I will have to go then.. Where did you find that CMMG Barrel? I cant seem to find them anywhere in Canada.. The CMMG uppers that another vendor on here is just too pricey.. $800 for a .22 restricted upper is too much for me personally.

I guess I could always get the M&P 15-22 ... I just hate polymer rifles and trying to avoid that

Questar
    "Futue te ipsum et caballum tuum." or "F¥c[< you and the horse you road in on"

Slap me I said a dirty word hahaha
    "Futue te ipsum et caballum tuum." or "F¥c[< you and the horse you road in on"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mwjones's Avatar
    NEA does in fact make dedicated barrel/bolts in a standard upper, and they were sold as complete uppers by a couple different retailers. When I got mine they shipped with a chiappa mag. Paired with an NEA lower and spikes LPK.

I switched all the components out into an NEA slickside and build a 5.56 with the regular receiver. Had some serious feeding issues where a round would strip out of the mag and chamber but would only go about 75% of the way. Thought it was an ammo and/or ramp issue. I polished the feed path a little and it didn't seem to do anything. Tried some black dog machine mags, which fit tight in the magwell and require a good smack to seat and a good yank to pull free, unlike the chiappa mag with is so loose in the magwell I would say it flops around Still nothing. Then read an article about how the cmmg kits would bind up duplicating my issue, and it was related to the bottom of the bolt riding on the top of the bolt catch, and the little springs aren't strong enough to overcome the resistance. You can either file to relieve and smooth the top of the bolt catch so it does not drag, or remove it entirely, leaving an unsightly hole. Either way will help immensely.

Another small problem I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be any set screws or anything to keep the kit in place, just friction and the standard spring/buffer, and after getting ti to actually fire a few times in a row the kit would walk backwards out of position. Made up a 3" aluminum plug to put some preload on the spring and it now works like a charm.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVR View Post
    Where did you find that CMMG Barrel?
    Beetle Outdoor Supply. I can never remember the name...

I like it better than the conversion for .223

The .223 had questionable accuracy and leaded up like you would not believe. Much nicer with a proper .22lr barrel
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

CGN Regular
    I'm thinking of doing this. Anything different than normal AR building? I'd just use the whole Chiappa upper but I like my upper lower to match and not be polymer.

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax1977 View Post
    I can't tell you about the NEA 15 22lr.
    I did use NEA upper and lower to build one with guts from a chiappa M4 and it works like a champ.

Got mine at Ellwood epps

I bought the Chiappa rifle from SFRC..believe me, the bad reviews are all acurate and true. My G&G airsoft rifle is of better quality, its basically a toy with a steel barrel. the lower and uppper are both low grade plastic, the barrel is "secured" with this weird type of nut that threads on loosely because if its torqued it would snap the plastic, so it rotates right out of the box. the handguard is not threaded and is not free float, there is another ring that slides down the barrel with a O-ring that centres the hand guard. at the end of the day, I replaced the lower with a Omni II, replaced the upper receiver with a Nordic from Aztek Armoury, replaced the USELESS stock with an ATI, replaced the handguard with a true free float.. at the end of the day the only thing I kept was the bolt, the barrel and the trigger group which was surprisingly smooth. looking back at it, I should of just bought the GSG AR 22 rifle for $499 and been done with it

Quote Originally Posted by lj007 View Post
    I'm thinking of doing this. Anything different than normal AR building? I'd just use the whole Chiappa upper but I like my upper lower to match and not be polymer.
    the main difference is that the .22 bolt doesnt cycle back into the buffer tube or use the buffer tube spring for recoil, its more like a ruger 10/22 bolt, if youd like to see pics of my build send me a PM

NEA stopped making the 22 upper years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12