Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why IRUNGUNS advertises in USD...

http://www.xe.com is your friend

Some people like to complain for no reason. You're a US based company so of course your cost are in USD. I bought guns in USD from you before and will do it again.
    "In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.”
    Theodore Roosevelt

A floating header or something to that effect linked to XE or another current currency calculator may help some people who are computer challenged or inept.
    I'm a displaced redneck, stuck in a city.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The USD prices don't bother me much, but since no one else is doing it, I'll play devil's advocate for a second:

1. The customer is already pretty upset when he finds out the price is actually 30-40% higher due to exchange rate. That's a lot more than 4-6% percent price variation. And even if we don't talk about the fact that sometimes (half the time actually) that variation would be in favour of the customer, the point is that prices need to be right on the website, not in ads. Due to inflation, older advertisement almost always advertise prices that are lower than current prices (see the amount of necro-thread popping up with a comment such as "is this still in stock" for crates of ammos at 2010 prices...). I'm fairly certain that your own advertisement that are 2+ years old offer prices that are lower than what you sell for today.

2. That's the whole point. Most people, all over the world, are used to their own currencies, and that's the currency they want to pay with. And when people say "the canadian site should be in CAD", you gotta admit that they have a point. What people are asking is for you to take care of the exchange rate, at least for items on the canadian website. And it does makes sense. Anyone who orders from amazon.com expects to pay in USD, but those ordering from amazon.ca expect to pay in CAD. Since the amount of money you would exchange is probably much higher than any of your individual customers, you would get better exchange rate than any of us, including those with an amazon credit card. In any case, suggesting people get an amazon credit card is helpful, but not that much: some can't at all for many reasons, but for anyone, getting a credit card for a single transaction is a hassle, and it kills any chance of impulse purchase. If you don't want to take a currency risk by setting a price on canadian inventory at the moment the inventory crosses the borders, there are ways to hedge against those risks, and on larger volume, those hedge cost meaningless amount of money and don't need much financial knowledge to set them up.

3. Almost nobody has access to the posted rate, even with an amazon credit card. But in any case, the problem isn't that people can't find out a ballpark rate, it's that they expect a canadian website to show prices in canadian dollars.

And a bonus: Having the canadian site with a .US extension is just plain weird.

Whiners are gonna whine.
    "If you teach your kids how to shoot, when to shoot, what to shoot, and where to shoot, freedom will easily be maintained." - Erin Canales

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    I don't mind the USD pricing. It's a nice little tease.

Quote Originally Posted by MartNutz View Post
    Isn't Amazon anti-gun ? Using/promoting Amazon credit card wouldn't be against this community principle ?
    Maybe here in Canada but not in the states.
    Even the firearms radio network is an amazon affiliate.

ht tp://firearmsradio.tv/amazon/

Great customer service over CGN!!

Please make this a sticky. Your policy for having prices in USD has always made sense to me.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

I think the policy absolutely makes sense. I suppose users' complaints are that if they're googling for a gun, gun part, etc. and an IRG link appears, it isn't apparent to a first time visitor that the currency is in USD.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast