Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M-79 Launchers @ Dlask Arms Corp.

CGN Regular
    I saw the 2 FRTs. But what I’m trying to figure out is if we someone changes the telescoping stock to a fixed one how would change that the classification.

On the FRT, it says the launchers marked TAC79 are restricted. No mention of OAL. So how would changing the stock change the classification ? Or would it not ?

Where are you looking the FRT up?
    Interested to see the info
    You’re not completely useless, you can always serve as a bad example.

This is a clear cut case of the RCMP 'Lab' gone mad. They have listed these and all 37mm launchers as 'Grenade Launchers'. What they won't answer is exactly what company makes 'Grenades' for them ? The Ordnance Group manufactures these as flare launchers, plain and simple. In the USA where these are manufactured they are LEGALLY classified by the BATFE as signalling / flare launchers.

Me thinks the RCMP have overstepped their mandate and have run amuck with the rules. It's a long time past having an ombudsman for them to restore the balance of power between them and the people they are sworn to 'protect'.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms View Post
    This is a clear cut case of the RCMP 'Lab' gone mad. They have listed these and all 37mm launchers as 'Grenade Launchers'. What they won't answer is exactly what company makes 'Grenades' for them ? The Ordnance Group manufactures these as flare launchers, plain and simple. In the USA where these are manufactured they are LEGALLY classified by the BATFE as signalling / flare launchers.

Me thinks the RCMP have overstepped their mandate and have run amuck with the rules. It's a long time past having an ombudsman for them to restore the balance of power between them and the people they are sworn to 'protect'.
    Utterly, utterly, shocking...

/s

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

I may be wrong but I believe this is the cause: "they now have the ability to discharge lethal ammunition" (I believe they are referring to 37mm to 12ga adapters)...

Even if not recommended, I believe it's doable right ?

Quote Originally Posted by MartNutz View Post
    I may be wrong but I believe this is the cause: "they now have the ability to discharge lethal ammunition" (I believe they are referring to 37mm to 12ga adapters)...

Even if not recommended, I believe it's doable right ?
    Incorrect. The rim depth between 12ga flares and 12ga ammunition is different. If the adapters are manufactured properly then the action will not close on a live 12ga round due to it's thicker rim and will therefore be unable to fire.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

Quote Originally Posted by HKNova6 View Post
    Where are you looking the FRT up?
    Interested to see the info
    Don't try and view it on a phone/tablet, only use a powerful computer with 8gb of ram or more: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...eference-table
    Have fun and safe shooting! **Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**

Quote Originally Posted by Salibas007 View Post
    I saw the 2 FRTs. But what I’m trying to figure out is if we someone changes the telescoping stock to a fixed one how would change that the classification.

On the FRT, it says the launchers marked TAC79 are restricted. No mention of OAL. So how would changing the stock change the classification ? Or would it not ?
    You have to look at the legal ruling on the FRT, in the case of the restricted Tac-79 it's CC 84(1) paragraph C: "restricted firearm: a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise"

The non-restricted Tac-79 is "meets CC Section 2 Firearm": firearm means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm".

Commonly available 37mm less lethal ammo can cause "serious bodily injury" so perhaps that's why it's classed as a firearm, rather than because of the 12ga adapters? hmmm.

As far as I know there are no minimum barrel length or overall length restrictions on single shot firearms so as long as it doesn't have a telescoping/folding stock it's non-restricted. You would have to take it to a gunsmith to be verified and de-registered if going from restricted to non-restricted. Please remember that even with it being non-restricted it can only be discharged where it's legal to discharge a firearm.

Other 37mm launchers you'll see listed as restricted are under CC 84(1) paragraph A which is "it's a handgun". The prohibited ones are due to being pistol launchers and 4" barrel (Canadian Tire is currently selling one).
    Last edited by dirtygrandpa; 04-30-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    Have fun and safe shooting! **Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123