ATRS "Deathgrip" tripod rifle rest now in production

Have you tried shooting the set up yet?

My wife has that tripod for photography and we use it when we go travelling due to its light weight. I would be concerned that the tripod is the weak point of your system.

I haven't shot off it yet but it actually feels sturdier then I expected. I already had the tripod before I bought the vise if I were to buy another one I would probably get a sturdier one. You compromise it being light and small though when you go sturdier.

Question time please.

Why would a person not put a fast push button dowell unlock pin set up on the rifle stock and tripod ???

That way a person can slam the rifle down on the pin too shoot,,, then push the release pin too disconnect the rifle off the tripod for fast hand shoots.

Today's stocks are super strong, ain't no way the stock dowell will crack the stock. An aluminum reinforcement plate can be added on the inside of the stock if a person thinks its weak in that area.

So the only thing needed is the tripod with floating 360/360 full rotation.

The middle section of the tripod "could" also use a connector string or fashioned thin cable too each leg,,, this would make the legs 2 too 3 X's sturdier in the kneeling, sitting and standing position one would think.

Our tripod man lifts have chains at the bottom of them too help support more weight and too keep them at 100% equal weight and triangle alignment.

They are very stable when connected,,, the connector cable look like a triangle at the very bottom of the tripod.
The reason for this is too allow a person with air pack too fit between the triangle cable.

This is why I suggested the middle area on the tripod for the connector cable or string is for 2 reasons.

1- It stiffends up the 3 legs in its lowest setting, and still makes the legs pretty ridged in the other shooting positions.

2- having the cable or string away from the ground prevents it from getting snagged on stuff,.and the triangle is much smaller meaning the cable or string would have less chances of getting knotted up when packing too the next staging area . A dacron sleeve over the cable or string would also prevent it from getting tangled.

I like the idea of this, tripod thing, thanks for sharing as I get our fad guys at work too rig up for both my rifles with the quick release dowell pin

Don

Last edited:
I took a couple pictures of my new deathgrip. This is a very smooth and strong gun vise.
2YZ0lMO.jpg

DfP7iGn.jpg

I have the same tripod set up. How do you find it for strength / stability with the clamp? I've got a makeshift rest hooked up to mind and it's decent.

I took a couple pictures of my new deathgrip. This is a very smooth and strong gun vise.

Please post your range results. I love the MeFoto stuff for light travel use, but I find that it gets a bit wobbly with even just a 6D and 70-200 on top.

I've got a heavier Benro, but was thinking for rifle use I'd need to rebuy my old standby Gitzo 3-series.

My wife as the MeFoto and it is adequate for a Sony a7 but not a 15 pound rifle.

A manfrotto 055 or 190 is really the minimum I would use for a rifle.

Hogsaddle has a modified Silk (Slik??) one that has a 26# rating at a decent price.

My wife as the MeFoto and it is adequate for a Sony a7 but not a 15 pound rifle.

A manfrotto 055 or 190 is really the minimum I would use for a rifle.

Hogsaddle has a modified Silk (Slik??) one that has a 26# rating at a decent price.

I have a Manfrotto 190 and found it to be on the light side, the 055 is built like a tank and will support a 50 lb rifle we confirmed.

Possibly he is meaning the additional threaded holes for mounting? Possibly some of the accessory items we have prototypes of?

Although it performs the same function as a hog saddle does there are several improvements, and there are only so many ways to make a rifle vise.

Looking forward to seeing these accessories materialize, I have my death grip mounted on a PIG0311-G Field Tripod with a manfrotto 483 leveling base. Great setup so far but Im in the process of getting a 1" spacer between the grip and leveling base to get a little clearance between the vice handle and head. The large ball of the base feels more like a direct mount than a ballhead mount satbility wise with lots adjustment for panning and tilting.
Great work ATRS!

The death grip belongs to a buddie of mine. He let me borrow it and try it out so I could decide if I want one. This morning was more then enough time to decide. I will defiantly be picking on up!

Maybe the Deathgrip is my solution ...

We have them in stock ready to go.

Hi

I am the newby the new kid in town. I am also a c5 qUad person since 24 years. i did not shoot a single shot since my pool tragedy.

My equipment is not top notch yet. Since 18 months I tryed a lots of things and i lost money beccause i have to buy them just to tryed them

My Caldwell system move a bit. What if i install the Deathgrip directcly between my two leggs using?

how to add a picture it'so ease normaly? Is it very expensince ...good idear for Christmast....

what a dum start...
sorry guys

Last edited:
Welcome to cgn Thunder.

To post pictures here you must upload them to a server like imgur or postimage.org, then copy the link and post it here using the little picture icon.

The Deathgrip and similar rifle vice mount on photographic equipement (ball head, tripod, rail mount, car window mount, etc.) like made by Manfrotto. I don't know what your chair looks like but you can probably find a system to fit without going custom with a welder. It could cost near 1000$ if you buy everything new and of Deathgrip quality.

Asking suggestions in the "general firearms" subsection could bring adapted ideas from shooters that went trough your process.

Good luck!

Black grip pads would be a nice change, but otherwise looks like a nice offering for an alternative to the Hog. Id be down for one but the blue is a bit too much. (Yeah I know its petty)

Black grip pads would be a nice change, but otherwise looks like a nice offering for an alternative to the Hog. Id be down for one but the blue is a bit too much. (Yeah I know its petty)

We tried black and did not like the way it looked with the black anodized finish of the aluminum parts. The choices for dye in the specialized polyurethane we use to make the jaw pads is limited to only a few colors. Many of the other colors looked good until the pad was bonded to the black anodized part. Being as the pads are translucent the black changes the final color that is seen when the Deathgrip is fully assembled. The blue was the nicest so we went with it.

Back
Top Bottom