Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ATRS "Deathgrip" tripod rifle rest now in production

Quote Originally Posted by norlandgeese View Post
    Looks nice, what tripod is recommended to go with it?
    I'm using a mefoto road trip aluminum tripod.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rstjean View Post
    I'm using a mefoto road trip aluminum tripod.
    Have you tried shooting the set up yet?

My wife has that tripod for photography and we use it when we go travelling due to its light weight. I would be concerned that the tripod is the weak point of your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
    Have you tried shooting the set up yet?

My wife has that tripod for photography and we use it when we go travelling due to its light weight. I would be concerned that the tripod is the weak point of your system.
    I haven't shot off it yet but it actually feels sturdier then I expected. I already had the tripod before I bought the vise if I were to buy another one I would probably get a sturdier one. You compromise it being light and small though when you go sturdier.

CGN Regular
    Question time please.

Why would a person not put a fast push button dowell unlock pin set up on the rifle stock and tripod ???

That way a person can slam the rifle down on the pin too shoot,,, then push the release pin too disconnect the rifle off the tripod for fast hand shoots.

Today's stocks are super strong, ain't no way the stock dowell will crack the stock. An aluminum reinforcement plate can be added on the inside of the stock if a person thinks its weak in that area.

So the only thing needed is the tripod with floating 360/360 full rotation.

The middle section of the tripod "could" also use a connector string or fashioned thin cable too each leg,,, this would make the legs 2 too 3 X's sturdier in the kneeling, sitting and standing position one would think.

Our tripod man lifts have chains at the bottom of them too help support more weight and too keep them at 100% equal weight and triangle alignment.

They are very stable when connected,,, the connector cable look like a triangle at the very bottom of the tripod.
    The reason for this is too allow a person with air pack too fit between the triangle cable.

This is why I suggested the middle area on the tripod for the connector cable or string is for 2 reasons.

1- It stiffends up the 3 legs in its lowest setting, and still makes the legs pretty ridged in the other shooting positions.

2- having the cable or string away from the ground prevents it from getting snagged on stuff,.and the triangle is much smaller meaning the cable or string would have less chances of getting knotted up when packing too the next staging area . A dacron sleeve over the cable or string would also prevent it from getting tangled.

I like the idea of this, tripod thing, thanks for sharing as I get our fad guys at work too rig up for both my rifles with the quick release dowell pin

Don
    Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-25-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by norlandgeese View Post
    Looks nice, what tripod is recommended to go with it?
    I'm going to use the PIG0311-G Field Tripod. It's a "beefed up" SLIK DX700PRO.

Should have the ATRS Death Grip next week to try out.
    Last edited by sask378; 07-29-2017 at 11:01 AM.

I took a couple pictures of my new deathgrip. This is a very smooth and strong gun vise.

I have the same tripod set up. How do you find it for strength / stability with the clamp? I've got a makeshift rest hooked up to mind and it's decent.

CGN Regular
    I took a couple pictures of my new deathgrip. This is a very smooth and strong gun vise.
    Please post your range results. I love the MeFoto stuff for light travel use, but I find that it gets a bit wobbly with even just a 6D and 70-200 on top.

I've got a heavier Benro, but was thinking for rifle use I'd need to rebuy my old standby Gitzo 3-series.

CGN frequent flyer
    My wife as the MeFoto and it is adequate for a Sony a7 but not a 15 pound rifle.

A manfrotto 055 or 190 is really the minimum I would use for a rifle.

Hogsaddle has a modified Silk (Slik??) one that has a 26# rating at a decent price.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
    My wife as the MeFoto and it is adequate for a Sony a7 but not a 15 pound rifle.

A manfrotto 055 or 190 is really the minimum I would use for a rifle.

Hogsaddle has a modified Silk (Slik??) one that has a 26# rating at a decent price.
    I have a Manfrotto 190 and found it to be on the light side, the 055 is built like a tank and will support a 50 lb rifle we confirmed.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Possibly he is meaning the additional threaded holes for mounting? Possibly some of the accessory items we have prototypes of?

Although it performs the same function as a hog saddle does there are several improvements, and there are only so many ways to make a rifle vise.
    Looking forward to seeing these accessories materialize, I have my death grip mounted on a PIG0311-G Field Tripod with a manfrotto 483 leveling base. Great setup so far but Im in the process of getting a 1" spacer between the grip and leveling base to get a little clearance between the vice handle and head. The large ball of the base feels more like a direct mount than a ballhead mount satbility wise with lots adjustment for panning and tilting.
    Great work ATRS!