Surplus 8mm Mauser Ammunition

Anyone who has had issues with pierced primers or gas leaks, was it a surplus rifle and has the head space been verified? Excess firing pin protrusion?

These are not "weak" loads but they are not overpressure.

Of course this stuff gets shot out of milsurp rifles... it's remanufactured milsurp ammo.
0.063 and 0.060 firing pin protrusion respectively on my 2 rifles, and they both won't close on the field gauge.

Anyways, like I've said, no issues with the 196 grain S&B, which comes out the muzzle at the same velocity. No stuck cases no pierced primers.

it probably just sold out

When I asked it was on sale one day and gone the next when it looked like they still had plenty in stock, and usually they have it listed as sold out if that's the case and not removed completely from the website. This was also around all the talk of it possibly being loaded too hot, so it all seemed kind of suspicious.

ive shot the ammo thru a couple m98s. Never had issues and the ammo is not loaded hot. Its a 198gr bullet at 2500 fps out of a 24inch barrel. Its a moderate load. Hot load is 200gr at 2600fps+. It also shot accurate with no primer issues.

It’s no hotter than S and B by felt recoil or point of impact certainly. There’s just something about the Can Am stuff my k98 or m48 don’t like. I can deal with hard extraction but I was getting pierced primers too. That’s a deal breaker. Both rifles are in good shape and neither will close on a “field” gauge. I bought a guage just because of this stuff actually. I’m just interested now as to why some have issues with it and others dont. Strange.

O.K. first time shooting my downloaded to 41 gr. ammo
The same M48 locks up the bolt and still gets pierced primers
I tried my Husqvarna FN 98 and it worked fine with downloaded 41 gr. and original hot ammo
looking at the primers ..I could/should drop down to 40 gr.
Next up is I'm going to try another M48A
Stay tuned

Update.. ^^^That M48 has a non-matching bolt
So a different M48A I shot 2 of the 41grain..cycled well , no primer piercing, some primer flattning
Then 2 of the hot loads.. bolt was a little snug, shiney marks on the brass with no primer piecing, some flattning of primers
So a matching bolt gun seems to work O.K. with hot ammo.. But I'm going to download to 40 gr.
A non-matching bolt gun is unuseable with this ammo

I shot a box a couple weeks ago, only bought 20 rounds to try locally. Thinking there may be more down the road. They recoiled about the same as my S&B SPCE which thump harder than Hornady, Winchester or PPU rounds. I hunt with S&B and that ammo is a perfect match to my iron sights. This ammo shot about 2 inch groups about where I was aiming. Had I bought the discounted family pack I would be happy with a hoard of plinking ammo. As it is now I still only shoot my mausers on my Birthday and special occasions unless hunting with them.

Back
Top Bottom