Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 - Question

Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 - Question

Hi All,

I just picked up this new firearm as my first foray in the "AR 15" world. Is this firearm ready to go out of the box or do i have to do anything to it before i take it to the range?

Thanks in advance!!

I would clean it and lube it before shooting. May not be totally necessary but I like knowing that it's down properly and that way you get to inspect and learn the firearm at the same time. As far as do you need to buy more parts to make it work, nope. Should run just fine. I can't recall off the top of my head of they come with sights or not but that would be your only thing

Clean it, Love it and Shoot it. That is all.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Yup, detail strip it, clean any shipping grease off it, and lube it properly. YouTube is chock full'o instructional videos.

Thanks for your quick replies. Any specific lube i should use. I have Balistol and Hoppes

I would clean it first but thats all you would have to do.

Super GunNutz
    Any new gun i get, i like to clean and lube it. I used Hoppes starting out, but as you go, try new cleaners and lubes, you will find what works good for you or is available to you. I started using just a bore cleaner then lubing. Your find that you may need a copper solvent at some point or maybe a carbon cleaner. some guns clean easy, some need a scrubbing. This is the fun part of firearms ownership, you will learn all about your gun and how it behaves in all aspects from cleaning to firing.

CGN Regular
    Just like anything, read the owner's manual, make sure you are familiar with the equipment before operating it.