Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: beowulf magazine

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGERTACTICAL View Post
    ^^^ Actually in the case of the RCMP selling bomb materials to that couple in BC, it was ruled entrapment.^^^
    It is being appealled by the crown so will have to see if that stands... just saying.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

-The capacity of the magazine is governed by the calibre it was designed for. (This is written crystal clear in the cartridge control regs of the Criminal Code.)
    -The AR 15 FOW was designed for the .223 Rem round.
    -About 40 years later Beowulf (and others) introduced .50 Beowulf (458 SOCOM ect)
    -Beowulf advertised and told everyone that their new calibre worked with any AR 15 FOW's lower and mags (this is what made it a great idea / conversion for all who already owned AR 15's)

-Fast forward to today in Canada. Some people are resting their case on a few things:
    1. Beowulf mags are designed only for .50 Beowulf! Nothing else!
    2. If the magazine is marked .50 Beowulf then haha it is a Beowulf mag! (even though it feeds, holds and functions with .223 Rem. to some extend)
    3. Bending magazine lips, changing magazine followers "magically changes a magazine from a .223 Rem one to a .50 Beowulf one".
    4. People confuse the 10 round capacity for handguns in Canadian Law as applying to the legal paragraphs relating to non-handgun, centre-fire, semi-automatic capacities for firearms.

Pretend you are in court. Judge may have low experience in firearms:
    -Your .50 Beowulf mag is held up as evidence.
    -14 rounds of .223 Rem are inserted and held by the magazine.
    -The magazine is able to be inserted and latched / held by an AR15 rifle in .223 Rem Calibre
    Are you confident in your legal position because there were these expert guys on Canadian Gunnutz that said these were perfectly legal?

I love hi-cap mags, I want these to be legal, I need these to be legal. I remember the days of shooting with hi-cap mags, what a blast.
    Just because I want these to be legal so bad does not mean that they are. Careful about placing yourself in a echo chamber with similarly minded people...it can turn out to be dangerous.

Rich

Ok so long story short....are Beowulf 5 round mags now illegal unless pinned to 2 rounds?
    An armed individual is a citizen, an unarmed individual is a subject. Gun control is not about controlling guns, it’s about controlling those who use the guns.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MBaker View Post
    Ok so long story short....are Beowulf 5 round mags now illegal unless pinned to 2 rounds?
    Apparently nobody really knows, so it’s up to you to read through all the BS and decide for yourself.

I’m comfortable using mine, pinned to 5 rnds of Beo.

Or don't rely on Gunnutz and read the Criminal Code Magazine Cartridge regulations. The Legal Opinion of the Department of Justice has never changed, AR 15 FOW's magazines are originally designed for 223 Rem. Rifle magazines for Centre Fire Semi-Automatic firearms are limited to a max capacity of 5 rounds. Now some people think that if they engrave an AR 15 FOW's magazine "Beowulf" or bend the lips or change a follower, then the "Mag Fairy" has touched it and it magically becomes wholely designed as a brand new cutting edge designed Beowulf magazine.

Rich

Name:  5231C8FB-DB2A-49BB-B397-976D7045ACCE.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  39.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by rich lps View Post
    or don't rely on gunnutz and read the criminal code magazine cartridge regulations. The legal opinion of the department of justice has never changed, ar 15 fow's magazines are originally designed for 223 rem. Rifle magazines for centre fire semi-automatic firearms are limited to a max capacity of 5 rounds. Now some people think that if they engrave an ar 15 fow's magazine "beowulf" or bend the lips or change a follower, then the "mag fairy" has touched it and it magically becomes wholely designed as a brand new cutting edge designed beowulf magazine.

Rich
    d.o.j

Not sure if you can read that but,
    That’s the response of the department of Justice.
    Says they’re good to go.
    But hey,everybody got an opinion.

And for everyone who says it’s up to a judge to decide, well maybe not.

Maybe it’s up to a jury???
    Last edited by Brianma65; 02-14-2018 at 11:31 PM.

Sorry being charged with possession of a prohibited device will not provide for you to elect a jury trial.

Also don't put too much weight into the post given to Global News several years ago. Mistakes can be made when put on the spot by the News Media and this is clearly corrected now that the Beowulf mag issue has been examined in detail.
    The law is crystal clear on this issue. Go and read the Cartridge Control regs for yourself.

Again engraving a mag with the word "Beowulf", bending lips and changing a follower does not constitute "completely redesigning a magazine system". Especially when the mag still retains 223 Remington Cartridges to some extent ++++ plus +++ still feeds and functions 223 Remington Cartridges in an AR 15 Pattern rifle to some extent!

Why do some people on Gunnutz find this so hard to understand? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to legally have 14 or 15 round mags to use in my various rifles and I wish this was true...but it's not.

Rich
    Last edited by Rich LPS; 02-15-2018 at 12:37 AM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    Name:  5231C8FB-DB2A-49BB-B397-976D7045ACCE.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  39.4 KB

d.o.j
    can you post a larger image of that? i'd like to read it. Or post a link to where the article is.

thanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    Expert witness testimony is accepted as fact in court.

There are techs in the lab that have given evidence in court and have been deemed experts.

A good defence would require hiring a legal expert to counter said testimony.

So not quite a medical opinion from an engineer.
    They are experts on guns, not on laws. This is not a question of guns, this is a question of law.

No one is saying that 223 can't be used in beowulf magazine. Therefore their expertise isn't even required.