Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR4 Match - 12-13 Aug 2017 - DeBrief here!

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post
    * Shoot the entire match/contest with a tripod, hog saddle, and shooting cushion/bag/rest
    Can you clarify on whether the tripods will be supplied to the shooters wishing to shoot the "Brown Army Class"

The reason I bring this up, is that shooters new to using tripods should have an opportunity to see/feel/try a number of tripods and attachment methods available (similar to the spotting scope lineups). I would not want to see a shooter feel they need a tripod to play, and then potentially waste money on equipment that won't meet their needs.

Just my $0.02.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisward3 View Post
    Can you clarify on whether the tripods will be supplied to the shooters wishing to shoot the "Brown Army Class"

The reason I bring this up, is that shooters new to using tripods should have an opportunity to see/feel/try a number of tripods and attachment methods available (similar to the spotting scope lineups). I would not want to see a shooter feel they need a tripod to play, and then potentially waste money on equipment that won't meet their needs.

Just my $0.02.
    Hey, where's chalkriver2 when I need him? ha ha ha ha

Yes, we are looking into it....

Hmmmm.... Pig 0311 tripod versus Slik 700 Pro DX

and also Feisol ball head or Sunway Foto ball head?

Wiebad Pump pillow or Armaggedon Game Changer pillow?

Cheers, and warm regards,

Barney

Took a look at the two pillows you guys mentioned above, I'm really attracted to the Game changer, just one question, would strapping the pillow onto the rifle like that change the harmonics? Still on the fence about a which tripod I like.
    "I shoot better in the rain" TT

“Be the head of a chicken not the tail of a bull” Toyzone

Quote Originally Posted by Nate.308 View Post
    Took a look at the two pillows you guys mentioned above, I'm really attracted to the Game changer, just one question, would strapping the pillow onto the rifle like that change the harmonics? Still on the fence about a which tripod I like.
    Most often at least one if not both straps also go over the scope, so they should not limit barrel movement. If you don't have room to get both straps over the scope I would keep the one on the barrel loose. Once the rifle is in position on the bag there should be no interference.

ETA: The point of the straps is to keep the setup together as you get into position or move between positions, not to strangle the rifle.

Shot New Hampshire PRS Match last weekend and they supplied Really Right Stuff carbon fiber tripods with ball heads and saddles for two stages. These are incredibly well built with a price tag to match. No problems supporting 17 poundish PRS match rifles.

The game changer and the pump pillow perform different functions in my limited experience. The game changer is a heavy bag that conforms very well to barricades, logs, rocks, etc. The straps can be run over your scope so they don't touch the barrel, so no worries about POI shift or harmonics. The rifle tends to rest on the bag and the straps go a little slack anyway. Some guys don't even strap it to their guns.

The pump pillow is a big but light bag that can be used in a variety of ways to build a solid position by using it to fill gaps like between your elbow and body, or on a knee to support the butt of the rifle when kneeling in a barricade position. It's not often seen attached under the rifle from what I've seen as it would be raising the rifle quite high. However, I'm sure there's some stage or situation out there where it would be ideal used in this manner.
    Last edited by Johnny Boom; 07-13-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jadam View Post
    Most often at least one if not both straps also go over the scope, so they should not limit barrel movement. If you don't have room to get both straps over the scope I would keep the one on the barrel loose. Once the rifle is in position on the bag there should be no interference.

ETA: The point of the straps is to keep the setup together as you get into position or move between positions, not to strangle the rifle.
    Haha, you beat me to it. Jadam was on my squad at the same match so he used the tripods as well. What did you think?

Forgot to add that the game changer and a big bag are often complimentary if the stage allows for it.
    Last edited by Johnny Boom; 07-13-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boom View Post
    Haha, you beat me to it. Jadam was on my squad at the same match so he used the tripods as well. What did you think?

Forgot to add that the game changer and a big bag are often complimentary if the stage allows for it.
    The RRS tripods were slick as ****, but at the price they damn well better be. Agreed with Johnny, if you can use both - do so.

I'm toying with a design for a modified version that I may sew up with a few changes I think might improve things over the latest version of the game changer.

I'm in, black bear campsite reserved, and I might have a bolt action for this one, find out tomorrow...

Now looking up hog saddles, I have a pretty beefy tripod already.

I'm in. EMT sent. Sunday match only.

CGN frequent flyer
    I'm in.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast