Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR5 Match - 21-22 Oct 2017 - Debrief here!

I'm in, for both days.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    I m in for the training!

Business Member
    I'm back home from YVR and the West... Just getting over my jet lag today and still stocking up the fridge. Super glad to be out there, but even better to come home. Bruce Lee said, "Don't count the things you don't have. Count the things you do have...."

I have a great community here and I'm loving it... Great to be back!

I'm able to get around tomorrow and carry out all those registration EMT's for the Calgary M14 Clinic at TSE on 25 Nov 2017. So I will get at 'er tomorrow.

With the final / last PR match of the season (I'm not calling it Championship, because we compete for shzts and giggles ) on 21-22 October, I'm going to implement a new(er) to us policy to keep all of YOU in line with the ORA PR Matches / DCRA PR Matches / and Meaford Long Range Steel Challenge

I am instituting the "Breech / Chamber Flag" rule (been there, done that a long time ago) and I will bring you all up to speed when I see you all on the Saturday Morning 21 Oct 2017. Might as well train you properly like the other competitions....

Breech / Chamber flags are a very expensive $2 so keep some spare change handy on Saturday. Better yet, buy a couple for different rifles/ cases/ rigs / friends/contacts/ family members. Get them used to this chamber/breech flag rule! Safety cannot take a back seat and I need to train you RIGHT.... My reputation is on the line!! ha hahaha

3 or 4 weeks away!

Barney

Got some Tourbon bolt balls, looking forward to trying them out.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john@ View Post
    Got some Tourbon bolt balls, looking forward to trying them out.
    Do a bunch of dry firing with them Tourbon Bolt rubber balls (Amazon dot ca is your friend $16 shipped for 2 different sizes) at home in the prone (with bipod) and do some rapid cycling of your bolt. You will be surprised how fast you can get....

EMT's done last night... still a couple of them to do today. Thanks all of you!

ALL EMT's done this afternoon: 1330 Hrs 26 Sep 2017

Cheers,

Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 09-26-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Just a few weeks left!!
    "I shoot better in the rain" TT

“Be the head of a chicken not the tail of a bull” Toyzone

How much experience is needed to be able to participate in this? I'm a total newbie but would be very interested in attending the training portion.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsbonini View Post
    How much experience is needed to be able to participate in this? I'm a total newbie but would be very interested in attending the training portion.
    I specialize in newbies (and also cater to experts). I've taught many Grade 9 courses in 30 years of high school edumacation so I've adapted my delivery to the newest of beginners to the LR game.

Speak to any of my client shooters in our community since they too had to get their start somewhere. Let it be me to gets you going. You see after excelling in Battle School (PPCLI Wainwright) many years / decades ago... I promised that I would remove all the "Suck" from range exercises and ensure that all shooters have a great time as humanly possible on the range. My delivery and demeanour would be fun and lighthearted... except when I get "swiped" by a loaded-readied .223 carbine on the firing line at CQB

The Saturday program is designed to ease the newbies into the world. Then in the afternoon we do a "walk back" where we shoot some booolits at 100m and progress to 600m. All this while you familiarize yourself with the local conditions, your ammo, your rifle, and you will see your confidence levels rise. That's the intention. Unless you bring TWO rifles (recipe for failure...) to sight in or you bring gear that is (in the words of my deceased Italian Father-in-law, "Gooda Pa Shzt!") LOL

Some fzckups that I've seen on the practice mound:

* Shztty cheap Zhinese scope rings (airsoft quality)
    * soft-as-dog-crap ring screws and cross bolt ring hardware
    * Loose and improperly torqued base screws (at least 15-20 inch pounds, please)
    * Cheap szht scopes that crap out once you start making turret adjustments (cheap gears made of plastic)... Best $$ of the buck: Bushnell 10x 40mm Mildot for $300 give or take... most reliable for the money and perfect for our game up to 600m
    * improperly dressed shooters for the weather conditions (overdress with rain gear, and keep a spare set of clothes in the vehicle)
    * Save your sheckels and buy quality... I've seen cheap back pack straps pull apart on the move to a new mound
    * Ammo cans.... leave them in the vehicle... they are a disaster waiting to happen... transfer 50 - 60 rounds to your rucksack
    * Cardboard / factory ammo boxes- always invite the rain, and results in a shzt show... spend $6 and buy plastic 50 round boxes at local gun shop
    * tinkering with your factory trigger... leave it alone. Shoot it for a year, then bring it to your local expert

So there... a partial list of what - not - to - do and have TT laugh at you (lightens up the mood) on the firing mound!

Folks, shoot lots and lots of my matches LONG before you show up at the Meaford LR Steel Challenge.... I witnessed many, many shooters with blinged up rifles, scopes, hard cases, back packs that Labour Day weekend. They showed up in fancy vehicles ( most common from the GTA, just like at Blue Mtn where I was a lifty for many years ) and man did I ever call it right. I was RO at Stage 1 and Stage 9, and did I ever witness more fzckups in 2 days as a RO. I spoke to many of them; inviting them to my PR matches and many of them were never aware of PR matches around Ontario.

Learn to drive before you enter the Monaco/Indy/Daytona/ Grand Prix races....

So, does that put things into proper context? Learn with me and I'll get you to the championship levels

Barney

Question about the acceptable calibers, anything that fires 308, or specifically .308 Winchester? I have a 300wm, and wondering if it is excluded with the calibre restrictions.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    I think 308 win is fine. not sure about the 300wm